Used Detector ... vs New

kc_hhsl

Live in rural Coloradon out on the eastern plains.
I've been toying with the idea of buying an F70 or F75 - spending upwards of $500. Have had several suggestions to look at a used detector. So - is it safe to buy a used detector? I wouldn't buy one that is all banged up but if in good looking condition would you buy one?

If you would what are some used detectors that you would want?

I will be using it to hunt old farm sites, old rural schools, coin shooting at parks, possibly old forts and battle grounds. Looking for a machine that is known for depth - hence my leaning toward an F70 or F75.

Any input would be helpful. Once my taxes are done - ugh - I can figure out what I can afford.

I own 5 machines. Four were bought used.

Used -
Minelab Explorer SE
Fisher F2
White's TreasurePro
Tesoro Compadre

New -
Tesoro Sand Shark

I would buy used in a heartbeat. Only advantage to new, IMO, is warranty. That's the reason I went new on the Sand Shark - lifetime warranty. If they only came with a 2-5 year warranty, I would've bought one used.

I've bought used and new. IMO warranties are a waste of money, buy a quality product, shouldn't have to worry. I've used maybe one warranty out of the last 20 electronics I've purchased.

Buying a new detector is like driving a new car off the lot...it depreciates big time soon as you take it out of the box. Be damn sure you're gonna keep it if you buy new or be prepared to take the hit when you sell it. Used detectors...those can usually be resold for what you paid for them if you don't like it and want to try something else. There's a lot of powerful machines out there available for half, sometimes a third...of what they cost when new.

Both of my detectors I bought used.Ace250 and Laser Trident 1
(Tesoro Cibola UK version). I've being using them for years,no Problem at all :aok:

if you buy from these forums most members take good care of their gear and offer to resale at a reasonable price. So yes buying here would net you a good deal but if you are purchasing through ebay or craigslist make sure your not getting slapped with a lemon or worse yet a fake chineese knockoff.

I've bought both my current rigs New...F70 8yrs ago, AtPro about 5...These are both still running with no trouble...And, I have treated them most shamefully...they live out in my car year round...I bet I've turned On and Off that F70 switch 10,000 times easy...These rigs are all built with solid state circuitry, so really nothing is gonna go wrong with that, unless your batts melt or something......mainly coils if anything...

I did buy a used CZ 20 that took a mighty dump and had to go back to the Factory...So, I guess its all on the rig..I'd buy used from a Forum Member who has good communication and all that...

Big fan of used when buying a quality product that you know is well made and will last. BUT, you will spend a lot of time trying to find that good used product especially if you are OCD like me and want to get it for the best price. Either way, I got an Ace 350 and an ATP used and both worked very well and I saved hundreds.

BCD

I take it on a case by case basis. Verfiy the condition and that it's in good working order and was well taken care of. Alot of people will buy a MD for just one person or think it's a hobby they would enjoy and when they don't find anything worthwhille on the first couple of hunts it basically becomes a closet queen. You could often get a good deal on one of them that may be 2-3 years old but only used a few times. I'd jump all over that.

Price , age ,condition , like anything else you buy . You will have to have confidence in the person your buying from . I prefer NEW or transferable warranty . ,,,,,HH

Buying a new detector is like driving a new car off the lot...it depreciates big time soon as you take it out of the box....
If you pay MSRP, then I agree with you -BUT- that is why you shop the dealers. Look at the MSRP of a CTX, its a whopping $2,500, but my dealer only charges $1,825. In two years, I can sell it with a remaining year warranty and for almost the same price I paid. ...and then go buy another. Gotta shop smart! :yes:

I've been toying with the idea of buying an F70 or F75 - spending upwards of $500. .... Any input would be helpful.

Seems your are concerned with depth, so lets start there...

In most cases, depth has a direct correlation with coil size. Take brand-A with a 11" coil and compare it to brand-B with a 11" coil. All settings equal, the differences in depth between the two detectors will be marginal at best. Now slap on a bigger coil and instantly you have noticeably more depth and faster ground coverage.

Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro....and a few others are all reputable companies. Any company can have an occasional anomaly, but all of those have a great quality control and testing process integrating into their manufacturing.

A warranty gives you peace of mind. IMO, None of my 30+ detectors (even some 25 years old) have ever developed a terminal defect on its own. It is usually due to wear and tear from typical use. So yes, finding a detector in good condition is essential when buying used. The caveat to that is if you buy a waterproof model with seals that can crack or harden over time, even when stored in a closet.

The Fisher F70/75 are fantastic detectors that with a little negotation can be bought new for close to your budget. If buying used, I would want to pick it up from a Forum Sponsor that has tested and ensured it to be in working condition. However, i wouldn't buy a used one just save a $100.

Being in CO, I wonder if you'll get caught in a random rain showers, want to relic hunt in lakes or hunt for gold in streams. If so, a waterproof detector like the Garrett AT-Pro may be a better choice. If I recall correctly, my dealer sells NEW, AT-Pro's for under $500 delivered. That would get you under budget and then later on you could buy a bigger coil like the 15" NEL attack or 13" NEL storm to gain significant depth.

Last edited:
Used to buy only new detectors, mostly Tesoro. The last new one I bought was my Spectrum XLT (still runs perfectly) , and the last three were "used" but pretty much like new. I would not buy one that has obvious signs of careless treatment. My V3i: 1 year old, owner too old to hunt anymore and not a scratch; F75ltd2 was 3 months old and owner needed cash. Other than dust on the coil, it was like new; and a Tiger Shark that looks and runs like new. I have had zero issues with used. But it is electronics.... so there is no guarantee.

Be careful if your looking on eBay. I've heard of folks buying Chinese knockoffs. I bought my atpro at a shop. Haggeled down and got some stuff thrown in too[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom