any ideas? copper / brass coins

Steve

Forum Supporter
Anyone have suggestion how to clean these coins? Not 100% sure of the material. Coins are about 100 years old.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20170202_091820_resized.jpg
    20170202_091820_resized.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 393
  • 20170202_091646_resized.jpg
    20170202_091646_resized.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 358
I just found a pair of bridle or livery buckles wherean 1870s stable stood. They were so brown I assumed they were iron. Scrubbed them and saw a hint of copper or bronze. Watched a number of YouTubevideos and tried EVERYTHING they recommended. Brasso, a mixture of flour, salt and white vinegar, and even ketchup. Yes I'm serious. All of those were recommended. None helped. I scrubbed and polished for hours.

Finally I put them in my tumbler with some gravel, Dawn detergent and white vinegar. They came out beautiful.

Attachments

• IMG_1688.jpg
    IMG_1688.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 355
I just found a pair of bridle or livery buckles wherean 1870s stable stood. They were so brown I assumed they were iron. Scrubbed them and saw a hint of copper or bronze. Watched a number of YouTubevideos and tried EVERYTHING they recommended. Brasso, a mixture of flour, salt and white vinegar, and even ketchup. Yes I'm serious. All of those were recommended. None helped. I scrubbed and polished for hours.

Finally I put them in my tumbler with some gravel, Dawn detergent and white vinegar. They came out beautiful.

Not sure what I'm going to do. They look pretty toast. The 1 coin in mint condition goes for $300 or so. If I tumble and dates will be completely gone

Not sure what I'm going to do. They look pretty toast. The 1 coin in mint condition goes for $300 or so. If I tumble and dates will be completely gone

I understand. I found a 1783 Georgis Triumphos in a similar condition. Mint is worth $6000+. BUT it will never be mint again. I did tumble mine and it came out as good as can be expected. No damage to the date

Attachments

• IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 322
I might try 1 in olive oil and 1 in a weak Coca-Cola solution. If all else fails I'll go with the tumbler. Thanks for the help guys:yes:

I might try 1 in olive oil and 1 in a weak Coca-Cola solution. If all else fails I'll go with the tumbler. Thanks for the help guys:yes:
Don't use the olive oil, it's horrible on metals! It contains fat and will turn rancid even after the oil is 'removed', pitting and corroding the metal over time, not to mention eliminating all detail via darkening.

Back
Top Bottom