Few records broken on my recent hunt

Great job! I'm envious of you European guys. I'm excited if I find a coin pre-WW2.

Small update - we returned there and this time I managed to find "only" 53 coins and few other artefacts. Among them was this tiny medallion with crudely painted Mary and baby Jesus behind a glass, most probably from XIXth century.

IMG_0153.jpg

But the best find was definately this tiny silver:

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

It's a denarius minted in 1573 in the city of Gdansk. At that time Poland was in the condition called "interregnum", without a king - the last monarch from the Jagiellon dynasty died without an heir and country switched to elective monarchy - and everyone was waiting for the new king to be elected by the nobility. During that time all mints were closed, awaiting for a new king to be chosen and new coins with new busts and names prepared. But the city mint in Gdansk said "they didn't care" and continued to mint their own coinage, including these denarii. These coins are very rare and it seems they are now priced as high as those huge 8 groschen I showed you last time!

Photo for comparison:

IMG_0159.jpg

The small one may even actually be more valuable than the big one.

Wow! Very cool silver coins! I think I like that second best, just because the size and the size is so cool. That large 1792 silver is in very nice shape! What is the value of such a coin? Is that a rare coin?

Wow! Very cool silver coins! I think I like that second best, just because the size and the size is so cool. That large 1792 silver is in very nice shape! What is the value of such a coin? Is that a rare coin?

Well, they are not very valuable. Last time I checked the same coins (both this large and small one) in the same condition as mine were sold for approx. $100. The large one isn't rare but it's not quite common too (we may say it's "scarce" like in Roman coins' rarity scale with "common - scarce - rare"), but the small one is quite rare and because of that it's as valuable as the large one.

Well, they are not very valuable. Last time I checked the same coins (both this large and small one) in the same condition as mine were sold for approx. $100. The large one isn't rare but it's not quite common too (we may say it's "scarce" like in Roman coins' rarity scale with "common - scarce - rare"), but the small one is quite rare and because of that it's as valuable as the large one.

Very cool! Thank you for the explanation! The old coins over there have such cool designs!

Back
Top Bottom