• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Help with some items unearthed in Panama (the country)

AlbyM

Hi all,

I did some detecting last week in the country in Panama at some Spanish colonial sites and a site where gold rush '49ers would congregate. I would love some help positively identifying some items.

Photos #1 and #2 was unearthed on a historic trail about 9 inches deep- looks like an old hammer to me. Thoughts?

Photos #3 and #4 was unearthed in a river with a long history all the way from conquistadors to pirates to modern times. It looks to me like some sort of fastener. There was an old railroad (long since gone) and perhaps this was used there in some capacity? Maybe the hammer as well?

Thank- you!

Attachments

• image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 424
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 397
  • image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 398
  • image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 394
Another Panama item

Photos #5 - 8 - (same item)- I have no idea what this small metallic item is. It looks more modern to me but was found near an old '49er gold rush camp. Ideas from anyone?

Thank- you!

Attachments

• image_1.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 418
  • image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 392
  • image_4.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 401
  • image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 395
Thanks, Trickworm. I'll try to research that angle. On another web site, someone suggested the tip of a cane perhaps?

Edit: on the tip of the item is engraved with an oval. Not sure if that helps at all.

Any other thoughts?

The last item looks like the tip of a walking cane sometimes was made of silver just a guess. I have a old cane with a silver tip

Back
Top Bottom