Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Notices

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-05-2018, 12:07 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 4,112
Exclamation Check to see how recent the Google street view photo is of your house !

IF you put in your street address or GPS coordinates into Google maps and switch to satellite view, then to 3D view you can zoom in on the latest photo Google has of your house (or many other locations).

You might even use it to search for potential new areas to detect !

It seems they only update them every so often so it could be several years old.

https://www.google.com/maps/

For info on how they get the street level view photos check this page -

https://www.google.com/streetview/understand/

Below are photos from the above link of the devices they use in different areas to get the photos.

Name:  device-car.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  device-snowmobile.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  device-trekker.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  device-trike.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  31.1 KB

Name:  device-trolley.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  17.7 KB

__________________
Gary
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Cen-Tech Pinpointer
other (occasional) hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, green screening
John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #2  
Old 11-11-2018, 10:03 PM
GeneralQuarters GeneralQuarters is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 3,256
Default

Google hasn't updated my area in at least 6 years!

__________________
ATP (2019: 0 clad) 0 gold 0 silver Oldest : Chinese Ching Dynasty cash coin minted 1736-1795.

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #3  
Old 11-11-2018, 10:05 PM
matmit's Avatar
matmit matmit is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between Milwaukee and Kenosha
Posts: 11,680
Default

Mine is approximately 6 years old as well

__________________
**GRAMMAR POLICE**

AT-MAX, AT-PRO YTD $139.87 (7)gold (54)silver (5)ster (1)FE (34)IH (223)wheatie Oldest 1802 KG III, Silver Dollar Club!

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #4  
Old 11-11-2018, 10:17 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 4,112
Default

Originally Posted by GeneralQuarters View post
Google hasn't updated my area in at least 6 years!
Originally Posted by matmit View post
Mine is approximately 6 years old as well
That seems like it might be about the norm as I can tell from looking at our property that at least one thing I changed (added a new yard tool shed some months ago) haven't showed up yet. I can see where I did a large patch on the roof with some mineral paper, but I don't remember right now how many years ago that was, likely at least 2 years but maybe longer.

I'll check it every so often to see when it might update.

I think the satellite view likely updates much more often than the Google street level view.

I just checked and the Google street level view seems like it might be from before we moved here about 12 years ago, the satellite view is likely within a few years or so.

Living in a semi-rural area Google likely don't send their street level vehicles out to areas like this as often as a more densely populated area.

__________________
Gary
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Cen-Tech Pinpointer
other (occasional) hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, green screening
John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet


Last edited by GKL; 11-11-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #5  
Old 11-12-2018, 12:27 AM
davidlhyde63366's Avatar
davidlhyde63366 davidlhyde63366 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: O`FALLON MISSOURI
Posts: 879
Thumbs up was looking at my street view

There were 2 one from 2008 the other 2013 , probably about due for a new one. Not much diffren't except a large tree is gone. Be cool if they did it more often.

__________________
Fisher F4 , Bountyhunter Treker IV ,BH discovery 3300, Whites TRX pinpointer, finds mostly clad nothing worth posting , just retired at the end of 2017 ,so hope I can spend a lot more time detecting in the future.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #6  
Old 11-12-2018, 06:49 AM
remmy's Avatar
remmy remmy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Middletown PA
Posts: 1,775
Default

I know when mine was filmed because my Daughter was driving the car. I don't know how she did it but she landed the google car job for a summer and I had a google Subaru in my back yard. My wife and I can also be seen walking up the street because she filmed while driving away from the house.
we were banned from posting any pics of the car back then but I am sure it does not matter now.

__________________
XP Deus Ws4 - MI6
X-35 11 x 13

Reply With Quote


3 members found this post helpful.
  #7  
Old 11-12-2018, 12:04 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 4,112
Talking

Originally Posted by remmy View post
I know when mine was filmed because my Daughter was driving the car. I don't know how she did it but she landed the google car job for a summer and I had a google Subaru in my back yard. My wife and I can also be seen walking up the street because she filmed while driving away from the house.
we were banned from posting any pics of the car back then but I am sure it does not matter now.
Neat !!!!

I wonder if she had to use a talking GPS program that tells you where to turn next to cover the route you're supposed to cover.

I did read that Google blurs out faces and license plates, which is good or else they might have to get written permission to post such photos.

I did a search online to find info about the frequency of updates and it does seem the satellite views are updated much more often than the street level photos and that more densely populated areas are done more often than sparsely populated areas.

Here is one of the links I found -

https://www.techjunkie.com/how-often-google-maps/

a quote from the above link:

"How often does Google Maps update?

Google doesn’t have a fixed schedule of updates, or if it does, it doesn’t release that information to the public. However, from empirical data collection, we know that the update frequency depends on what part of the world is being imaged. In much of the continental United States, updates can happen as often as every week. For places more isolated, the frequency could be as slow as every couple of years.

According to The Google Earth Blog, the more populated a place is, the more often it will be updated. Some parts of the country are updated weekly like New York, Washington D.C., Los Angeles and other important metro areas. More rural places, where the landscape changes at a slower pace, get fewer updates.

What about Google Street View?

......We think that it is updated every couple of years for most places on earth but again, more popular metro areas get faster updates as the pace of change is faster. Other parts of the world are the same.
(end of quote)

……..our street level view, being in a semi-rural area seems like it is at least over 12 years old from before we moved here as the cars in the yard are definitely not ours or parked anywhere we would park. …...but our satellite view looks as recent as within about the last 2 or 3 years.

__________________
Gary
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Cen-Tech Pinpointer
other (occasional) hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, green screening
John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #8  
Old 11-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Grumpa's Avatar
Grumpa Grumpa is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Tumbleweed Gulch, NM
Posts: 517
Default

Our Satellite view is just under a year old. The workshop I built a little over a year ago is there but the carport built in April this year is not.

Street level view does not exist for our area. We live on a private road accessed by easements. Tumbleweed Gulch is not exactly on the main road.

__________________
Paul :OŢ
It's hard to believe someone is telling the truth when you know if you were in the same situation you would lie.

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #9  
Old 11-13-2018, 07:48 AM
remmy's Avatar
remmy remmy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Middletown PA
Posts: 1,775
Default

Originally Posted by GKL View post
Neat !!!!

I wonder if she had to use a talking GPS program that tells you where to turn next to cover the route you're supposed to cover.

I did read that Google blurs out faces and license plates, which is good or else they might have to get written permission to post such photos.

I did a search online to find info about the frequency of updates and it does seem the satellite views are updated much more often than the street level photos and that more densely populated areas are done more often than sparsely populated areas.

Here is one of the links I found -

https://www.techjunkie.com/how-often-google-maps/

a quote from the above link:

"How often does Google Maps update?

Google doesn’t have a fixed schedule of updates, or if it does, it doesn’t release that information to the public. However, from empirical data collection, we know that the update frequency depends on what part of the world is being imaged. In much of the continental United States, updates can happen as often as every week. For places more isolated, the frequency could be as slow as every couple of years.

According to The Google Earth Blog, the more populated a place is, the more often it will be updated. Some parts of the country are updated weekly like New York, Washington D.C., Los Angeles and other important metro areas. More rural places, where the landscape changes at a slower pace, get fewer updates.

What about Google Street View?

......We think that it is updated every couple of years for most places on earth but again, more popular metro areas get faster updates as the pace of change is faster. Other parts of the world are the same.
(end of quote)

……..our street level view, being in a semi-rural area seems like it is at least over 12 years old from before we moved here as the cars in the yard are definitely not ours or parked anywhere we would park. …...but our satellite view looks as recent as within about the last 2 or 3 years.
I will have to ask her those detail but I can say that the car was loaded with tech. I know they always knew when she was driving and where she was and she had plenty of computer issues.

__________________
XP Deus Ws4 - MI6
X-35 11 x 13

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #10  
Old 11-13-2018, 08:47 AM
achaios's Avatar
achaios achaios is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,251
Default

I looked at the street view, and my mom's car was in the driveway. She passed away in 2015 and I sold the car in 2016. She had the car for several years, so I can't date the picture.

-- Tom

__________________
My detectors: Whites Coinmaster 2500/D, Tesoro Vaquero
KJ4FUU

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #11  
Old 11-13-2018, 10:41 AM
davidlhyde63366's Avatar
davidlhyde63366 davidlhyde63366 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: O`FALLON MISSOURI
Posts: 879
Default Street view

Some times you can see more changes in the neighbors houses close to you . I noticed a large tree that was removed fron the house next door and cars from people that moved out several years ago.

__________________
Fisher F4 , Bountyhunter Treker IV ,BH discovery 3300, Whites TRX pinpointer, finds mostly clad nothing worth posting , just retired at the end of 2017 ,so hope I can spend a lot more time detecting in the future.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #12  
Old 11-13-2018, 12:00 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 4,112
Talking

Originally Posted by remmy View post
I will have to ask her those detail but I can say that the car was loaded with tech. I know they always knew when she was driving and where she was and she had plenty of computer issues.
Maybe by now Google has improved their computer equipment/programs.

Originally Posted by Grumpa View post
Our Satellite view is just under a year old. The workshop I built a little over a year ago is there but the carport built in April this year is not.

Street level view does not exist for our area. We live on a private road accessed by easements. Tumbleweed Gulch is not exactly on the main road.
Originally Posted by achaios View post
I looked at the street view, and my mom's car was in the driveway. She passed away in 2015 and I sold the car in 2016. She had the car for several years, so I can't date the picture.
-- Tom
Originally Posted by davidlhyde63366 View post
Some times you can see more changes in the neighbors houses close to you . I noticed a large tree that was removed fron the house next door and cars from people that moved out several years ago.
I'll have to check other areas of our small town as far as street level view to see if I can get an idea how old the street view might be (like maybe check for businesses that since closed or new ones that were built and opened up), like I said before as far as our property it looks at the very least over 12 years old (maybe even 15 years or more) because from what it shows it was likely at least 15 years as the photo does not show a good size pine tree at our driveway entrance that is there now and the cars shown were likely the previous owners and we've been here about 12 years (maybe 13 ?) and the property sat vacant for likely a few years before we moved in.

As far as the much more frequently updated satellite photos I'll check occasionally to see when the new yard tools shed appears I put up several months ago, I can see changes I made in the yard within about the past year or year and a half though.

__________________
Gary
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Cen-Tech Pinpointer
other (occasional) hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, green screening
John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Reply


Tags
google, satellite

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.