Calling all fellow frigid and snowed in md'ers, post your first hunt of the yr and what you found!

mpgandfun

I thought it might be fun to see first hunt results for those of us who brave the frigid temps and deep snow. It doesn't matter what degree of winter you have endured....If its your first hunt of the year due to easing of cold weather, lets see your first finds!

Gonna be a bit of a wait for me... Looks like a nice warm up in early March. -But who knows?

I already found my treasure here in the Philippines. It was not silver or gold. It was the joy of helping kids in a little village to find the coins I put in the sand for them to find with my detector. ( My biggest reward ever ). A long post, but it was a great time... KEN

Snowing since 8:30 am and still coming down here in NW Mo . Not to mention the cold temps we've here for awhile , will keep us guys from digging for awhile . The ground is like stone here .

still a little early

Snowing since 8:30 am and still coming down here in NW Mo . Not to mention the cold temps we've here for awhile , will keep us guys from digging for awhile . The ground is like stone here .

I'm thinking it will be close to Easter before we can dig here in Wisconsin but could be sooner or later, the weather is pretty unpredictable.

That's how I count down to detecting- from holiday to holiday. Christmas, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter... once St. Patrick's Day gets here the time seems to go a little faster. For now *tapping foot* :impatient:

Here in New Hampshire we still have 2 1/2 feet of snow with more on the way tomorrow

We're gearing up for snow and freezing rain, so it's going to be a while before the ground cooperates. I did take the new AT Pro out in the yard and swung across the snow. Hit some nice targets that I'll be re-visiting in the spring!

Nows about the time when someone always says.. Well the ground in the woods never completely freeze. So just go detect there. .. Yeah, ok, sure, right, come on up here and you try to dig through it...

I'm not sure if they are trying to be funny or simply come from areas where that may be the case and so they think it's like that everywhere..

First hunt of the year was on 1-2...not much but I dug a few targets.

PicsArt_1425210839822.jpg

Then we went into a deep freeze for a couple of weeks.
I took my wife downtown for an appointment about 13 days later and while I waited I did get out for a few minutes in the frozen ground and bitter cold at a nearby park.
Found a few coins and a junk ring but it was not much fun hunting in the bitter cold.

PicsArt_1425210804590.jpg

Just one day later we had a freaky temperature rise to the mid 60's.
Everything was still frozen over, but I just couldn't waste the suddenly nice weather so I went to a park and hunted near a picnic pavilion.
I was swinging over an area that had the sun shining on it for a few hours so several spots were defrosted down a couple of inches.
I was very happy digging any targets at all after that long layoff, coins were great but even trash was welcomed, it was a pleasure just to find something to dig in nicer weather.
Then, in one of those holes that I was able to dig lightning struck.
Pretty much the nicest gold ring I have ever found or at least the highest karat gold target anyway at 22k.
Hunt 3 for the year...a total surprise and a bucket list find.

PicsArt_1425210883466.jpg

Giving it a try today

Still iced in here for the next month or 2 but going to the shoreline today to give it a try before the next snow storm hits tonight. Post what I find.

Just had the 3rd coldest recorded February in history. A combined average temp of 17.1 degrees , and now , another 5 inches of the Devils dandruff today. Just won't let up. Gonna be a while til I get out on my first hunt if the year.

Nows about the time when someone always says.. Well the ground in the woods never completely freeze. So just go detect there. .. Yeah, ok, sure, right, come on up here and you try to dig through it...

I'm not sure if they are trying to be funny or simply come from areas where that may be the case and so they think it's like that everywhere..

Exactly Gary.......a lot of my hunts are in the woods....doesn't matter....been frozen solid since early Jan. Im hoping for 3rd week in March...fingers crossed.

Been slow here. You can hunt 365 days a year. Just envision a dime and zinc penny and you got most my hunts this year. Did find 4 silver in one hunt. But it was all downhill from there.

My actual first hunt of the year was in January before the ground froze up. Found this in the woods near a house that dates to the 1770's. The match safe dates to about 1880.

matchcase2.jpg

Won't hunt for a long time. Deep snow, frost depth 5 to 6 feet. I'll just read about detecting. I did order a Sniper Coil yesterday though, just to feel better. ..

My actual first hunt of the year was in January before the ground froze up. Found this in the woods near a house that dates to the 1770's. The match safe dates to about 1880.

matchcase2.jpg

Stunning find ! Everyone is right the ground in the woods are frozen solid right now even with the leaves as cover, it is a myth.

Back
Top Bottom