is there realy a market for the old bottles

streetshark1966

Elite Member
I have a old late 17 - 1800 ghost town on an old farm iam going to hunt in the spring. I have deer hunted there and found a large pile of old cork type bottles all sizes and colors. I will talk to the owner and see if I can take a group with me. there is 40 + acr we can hunt.

There sure is! Sounds like the bottles are from the late 1800's. I would take bottles back that have embossing and color, most collectors both experienced and amateurs look for those two characteristics.

If the owner does give you permission to bring some back, take some pictures and we can tell you if their are any gems in the group.

If you want to sell them, I can give you the names of a few forums and pages that specialize in bottles and have a huge audience.

There sure is! Sounds like the bottles are from the late 1800's. I would take bottles back that have embossing and color, most collectors both experienced and amateurs look for those two characteristics.

If the owner does give you permission to bring some back, take some pictures and we can tell you if their are any gems in the group.

If you want to sell them, I can give you the names of a few forums and pages that specialize in bottles and have a huge audience.

x2 I might buy a few

If any of the crocks has any blue design on them get all you can. As most will bring at least $100.00 and more. They are flow blue. Look to ebay under flow blue crocks. You may be amazed. Good luck. Also ginger bottles or crocks can bring a few bucks.

I made over $1000.00 one year going through the woods and finding old bottles. I sold one of them for 275.00. Mostly I can get $5-$10 for the old ones I find... :cool:

Any bottle that isn't broken, a broken bottle(shards too) where you can still see the wording/desing and someone here will be able to help ID it.

will be great to see posts.

your answer is yes if there is cork types then they are worth digging and if theres piles on the ground make sure u dig to the bottom all the old ones are normaly on the bottom

I have a old late 17 - 1800 ghost town on an old farm iam going to hunt in the spring. I have deer hunted there and found a large pile of old cork type bottles all sizes and colors. I will talk to the owner and see if I can take a group with me. there is 40 + acr we can hunt.
Like anything ....it all depends.

Like anything ....it all depends.
That's right..I cannot give away some of my 100+ y.o. bitters, blobs and medicines at any neighborhood yard sales we've had. People sure do love the old Pepsi and Coke cans though! Otherwise, my glass is worthless.

You have to display them to a large audience like ePay or a bottle show.

That's right..I cannot give away some of my 100+ y.o. bitters, blobs and medicines at any neighborhood yard sales we've had. People sure do love the old Pepsi and Coke cans though! Otherwise, my glass is worthless.

It seems like there are more bottle collectors out East, Southeast and The South from what I've always seen on the bottle forums. That doesn't mean that we up north don't like 'em though. If you think bottles are hard to sell, try selling insulators sometime. :lol:

here is the problem , most of the common bottles people already have , so many people to day go looking for the easy finds , if you think of selling theme most only go for a dollar or two. collect only the ones you want for your own collection . unless you have a jenny lynn flask , or Indian qween bitters don't waste your time.:no:

there is many many facebook groups for collecting bottles pretty much for any country state even countys I my self run one of these sites and selling bottles is no problem at all if you do the research. I do pit digging and privy digging all up an down the east cost of the usa . most the bottles I dig are Pre ABM (Automatic bottle Mechine ) and 99% of the time the least I get is 5$ per but most go for 15 to 50$ exspecialy blobs bitters an meds just gota know how and where to move em

there is many many facebook groups for collecting bottles pretty much for any country state even countys I my self run one of these sites and selling bottles is no problem at all if you do the research. I do pit digging and privy digging all up an down the east cost of the usa . most the bottles I dig are Pre ABM (Automatic bottle Mechine ) and 99% of the time the least I get is 5$ per but most go for 15 to 50$ exspecialy blobs bitters an meds just gota know how and where to move em
Thanks for the info Pa Hunter. I didn't realize guys used facebook, thought it was a gal's thing. My wife uses it, I'll ask her.

Crying shame! My favorite to collect is bitters bottles. I have a paper label Dr. Stewarts tonic bitters that has never been opened. You drink it now you'd probably fall over dead:shock:

I've dug alot of 1800's bottles on my property, but most aren't worth much because there were tons of them and alot are still around. They don't have to be old to be rare though, it's more about how long the type was made and how many survived intact. There's a candy striped Dr. Pepper bottle that's only from the late 1950's or early 1960's that sells for $900-$1200 on Ebay when it pops up every once in awhile.

Some of you guys in Texas and a few other southern states keep an eye out for those amber/brown squat 7-up bottles with the orange & white acl labels. Those get some good $ if in fairly good condition. We don't see 'em up here in Indiana at all.

welp if any of you have any blobs or squats from pa you wana sell/trade let me know I also collect colored side strap flasks pre 1900 and colored embossed meds from anywhere in southeast pa

Back
Top Bottom