EMI vs. Detectors

Deej

I found a location with multiple ball fields and a nice tot lot that looked very promising. Got set up with my F2, turned it on and it went crazy and would not calm down no matter what I did with sensitivity. I then looked up and realized what was the cause. There is a massive cell tower in the middle of everything and I knew that it was a no go with the equipment I have.

My question is, are there any machines that have the ability to ignore or tune out the EMI? I can't imagine that this location has been detected much at all and it will likely be a long wait till we have a cell outage that would allow me to access the site. :frustrated:

I found a location with multiple ball fields and a nice tot lot that looked very promising. Got set up with my F2, turned it on and it went crazy and would not calm down no matter what I did with sensitivity. I then looked up and realized what was the cause. There is a massive cell tower in the middle of everything and I knew that it was a no go with the equipment I have.

My question is, are there any machines that have the ability to ignore or tune out the EMI? I can't imagine that this location has been detected much at all and it will likely be a long wait till we have a cell outage that would allow me to access the site. :frustrated:

Some are way better than others, but all seem to be affected in one way or another.
Using the F2 on top of a mountain in direct line-of-site of every kind of tower for miles around made my F2 go into that machine gun mode in all sense settings all the time, while my last trip to the same area my F70 seemed to handle all that EMI much better even though it is a much more powerful and I believe an even more sensitive machine and also prone to a lot of chatter.

Areas where I get much jumping with the F2 or my F70 my Tesoros seem to be extremely quiet, and others see the same effect with different brands.
Minelabs seem to be less affected in this area, just as an example.

At one neighborhood site surrounded by homes, and this is the only time this has ever happened, my Compadre went nuts in a small area with a tot lot I was hunting and would not shut up unless I turned the disc up pretty high, while my F2 was much more stable and seemed to have no problems in that same area every time I hunted it which I have done several times.
This was actually a rare and unusual experience and the opposite happens most of the time when using these two different units at the same sites on different hunts.

Luckily, those extremely difficult areas like the one you describe aren't the norm...although we do come across them from time to time.

By the way, I have used my F2 in such a problem plagued EMI site a few times in the past, one was right next to a tower exactly like your example.
The one area I really wanted to cover, a small flat area where picnickers could possibly have played frisbees or thrown balls around and lost jewelry and also the entire area around a picnic pavilion which was also loaded with a bunch of trash, was directly in the area of the worst of this interference and I had that machine gun effect and severe jumping in the numbers that wouldn't stop on any sense setting.

I was still able to pull many coins out of this area through all of this because even with all those tones and severe jumping like my F70 the F2 does seem to stop, if even for just a brief instant, and give you a solid signal and tone when swinging over good targets even in the middle of all that mess, but only because I have a huge amount of experience with my F2 was I able to recognize these good targets by using short, quick swipes when I saw a quick good number and heard a good tone as I came across them.
The good targets would tone repeatedly in exactly the same place from any angle and the good numbers would show up on the screen on every pass but they were super quick.
Even though there was a super ton of jumping in the tones and the numbers also going on around them I was still somehow able to recognize those good signals.
This is actually not easy to do and back when I was new with the F2 I would have never been able to recognize and pick out these good signals at all I am sure.
It all would have been a wall of noise and unintelligible jumping and tones to me.
I was using the sniper coil at the time which might or might not have helped find the good targets but I really don't know for sure.

Even though I could have stayed and probably found even more good targets than I did that kind of hunting is very mentally fatiguing for me and not a whole bunch of fun so soon enough I moved away from this band of severe interference and moved onto other areas of this park that did not have so much of this jumping problem and were much more enjoyable places to hunt.

One day I will return to this exact site with other detectors and see if using them would be easier and more productive without tiring me out so much.

Some are way better than others, but all seem to be affected in one way or another.
Using the F2 on top of a mountain in line-of-site made my F2 go into that machine gun mode in all sense settings, while my last trip to the same area my F70 seemed to handle all that EMI much better even though it is a much more powerful and I believe an even more sensitive machine and also prone to a lot of chatter.

Areas where I get much jumping with the F2 or my F70 my Tesoros seem to be extremely quiet, and others see the same effect with different brands.
Minelabs seem to be less affected in this area, just as an example.

Luckily, those extremely difficult areas like the one you describe aren't the norm...although we do come across them from time to time.

By the way, I have used my F2 in such a problem plagued EMI site a few times in the past, one was right next to a tower exactly like your example.
The one area I really wanted to cover, a small flat area where picnickers could possibly have played frisbees or thrown balls around and lost jewelry and also the entire area around a picnic pavilion which was also loaded with a bunch of trash, was directly in the area of the worst of this interference and I had that machine gun effect and severe jumping in the numbers that wouldn't stop on any sense setting.

I was still able to pull many coins out of this area through all of this because even with all those tones and severe jumping like my F70 the F2 does seem to stop, if even for just a brief instant, and give you a solid signal and tone when swinging over good targets even in the middle of all that mess, but only because I have a huge amount of experience with my F2 was I able to recognize these good targets by using short, quick swipes when I saw a quick good number and heard a good tone as I came across them.
The good targets would tone repeatedly and the good numbers would show up on the screen on every pass even though there was a super ton of jumping in the tones and the numbers also going on around them but I was still somehow able to recognize those.
This is actually not easy to do and back when I was new with the F2 I would have never been able to recognize and pick out these good signals at all I am sure.
It all would have been a wall of noise and unintelligible jumping and tones to me.
I was using the sniper coil at the time which might or might not have helped find the good targets but I really don't know for sure.

Even though I could have stayed and probably found even more good targets than I did that kind of hunting is very mentally fatiguing for me and not a whole bunch of fun so soon enough I moved away from this band of severe interference and moved onto other areas of this park that did not have so much of this jumping problem and were much more enjoyable places to hunt.

One day I will return to this exact site with other detectors and see if using them would be easier and more productive without tiring me out so much.

Great post DIGGER!

We have a school in our town like that. I have hit it with every detector we sell and they all act up. Some do ok but a challenge for sure!

Thanks

Digger27 and Bart,

Thanks for the prompt replies. What you said makes sense.

I was picking up, in the short time I tried sweeping, some signals that I would investigate under normal circumstances. I have to admit the machine gun effect was disconcerting to say the least. I think I will try to lower the volume enough on the headphones to make it bearable and give it a try.

When I mentioned this to my wife last night, she made the comment: I wonder what this my do to my health with the exposure. Couldn't answer that one.

Thanks again,

Don

A Whites TDI is the best I have found to block out EMI complete. This is a PI set up so check it out. You will be amazed at how it can work right next to main power lines as well !!! Happy hunting.

My folks live in the suburbs with little postage stamp sized lots and houses on top of each other. There is so much stinking WIFI overlapping the area I cannot even begin to hunt any of it.

At least I don't have to live there! :laughing:

My ATP is not affected by power lines in the slightest... The only issue I have found is every once in a while a wireless router can cause interference.. Also I have one site like you describe with a cell tower, although, most of the site is doable, once you get under it near impossible... I found if I start under it and detect away from it I'll do OK, keeping my body between the tower and my machine...

<*)))>{

I tried to hunt a tot-lot with my teknetics but could not due to incredible EMI. The AT-Pro had no issue at all with it. Full sensitivity.

I had a Fisher F5 and Technetics Eurotek Pro that did not like EMI in the least. Never really had much trouble hunting the same areas with my other detectors. I bought the very stable Minelab X-terra 705 with Noise Cancellation because I don't like the noise and having to knock down the sensitivity.

within .5 mile of cell towers F2 is unusable. machine gun crazy even with no coil when I tested. Other units are fine. Not sure what coming out of a cell tower at short range is on the 5-6khz range but it's insane on the F2 for sure.

My folks live in the suburbs with little postage stamp sized lots and houses on top of each other. There is so much stinking WIFI overlapping the area I cannot even begin to hunt any of it.

At least I don't have to live there! :laughing:

Sometimes you can do a freq shift and correct a lot of that? Have you messed around with that option yet?

<*)))>{

Some weeks ago I had this issue too. My ACE250 went crazy at a field.
Later I went to the same field with my Tesoro Cibola and had no problem at all.

I used to detect right across the highway from a cell tower with my F2, and that machine gunning can get pretty annoying and confusing! Haven't been back with my latest machine but I think there might be a decent chance of taming it by cutting way back on sensitivity settings. But yeah, funny how different detectors are more susceptible to EMI, and funny how some days in the same location the EMI will be better or worse than other times. I believe even though EMI isn't noticeable (no beeps or freaking out on your detector) it can still cause you some depth loss according to NASA Tom.

As for the health issue possibility due to RF/EMI, it can't be good for us. Cell phone usage isn't the best either, but when you think about all the commercial radio and TV stations, satellites, and commercial communications towers, etc., bombarding us every hour of the day it's sort of scary.

I know exactly what you mean. My f75 in spots goes crazy and no amount of settings changes will help. Even with the machine going crazy...it will still give "dig" signals on targets that you can pick out if you can stand the noise.

Of all the detectors and brands I have owned the fisher/tek lines have been the chattiest and good machines if you can live with that.

If I had to make a list from most susceptible to least it would go fisher, tek, Garrett, whites, mine lab, then Tesoro...I have never tried a dues.

Hmmmm. :( I don't like what I'm reading here. I live probably within a half mile of an FM broadcast tower, three cell towers, a water tower with public safety repeaters, and a high tension power line. On top of that, I have a wireless router in the house, plus cordless phones! I really want an ATP, but was thinking on getting the EuroTek Pro for now, until I can afford the ATP. But, now with all this about the susceptibility of the TEP to RFI, I'm wondering if I would be wasting my money--I plan to start learning here at home (several acres). Do you guys think that I should wait until I can get the ATP, or chance the RFI with the TEP?

I hunted a curb strip under muti. power lines and was right between two electrical boxes. (was just coin popin) N cancel on the 705 is an awesome feature. Never have got in there with the 350. Made 21 cents:yes:

I think it all depends on the detector, frequency, etc. Some detectors allow you to change the frequency which helps sometimes. I was at a site the other week with my V3i and F75, both were going NUTS, no matter what I did, what frequency I used, or what sensitivity setting I use. I tried everything, I still have no idea what the cause was, I didn't see any power lines. The V3i gives me many options that can help tune out, or down EMI, however the F75 is a chatter box around EMI but luckily it's not an issue at most of my sites and it's many benefits make up for its chattery nature.

Back
Top Bottom