Still testing New 705, Short hunt with the stock 5×10.

tinsmith

Elite Member
Well I got a break in the rain the other day and it was Sunday, the day I've been wanting to try a ball field. Sunday is a quite day, no one around this spot but an ocasional dog walker. I finally tried the 5x10 18.7 khz on the 705 and thought Id really miss the Digger. That Digger 3 khz is a great little coil, I did notice with the digger I was getting more high VID#s on junk aluminum like canslaw which could have been the size and shape so maybe Im speaking too soon. The 5x10 which by the way was stable, less jumpy( and not that the digger is too jumpy its "Hot")--- the 5x10 is,, Id say "calmer". Of coarse seperation was as suspected a little harder but by no means impossible. I cut a nickle out of trash and got a solid 12 doing the dd wiggle. But what I need to report here for those of you wondering about depth, don't worry. I dug for 10 minutes with the lesche and Pro pointer to pull a measured 9" lincoln penny!!! The lesche was burried 2" up the red handle right at the penny! The coin was heavily oxidized and that helps but still. I'm fweekin impressed! And happy.
So certainly the little digger 3 khz is a hot coin spanker. I mean my first hunt with the 705 right here on the condo property where I've been with the BH, I got a dozen clad and lincolns with the first try strapped up with the digger. But don't count out the 5x10 18.7 cause it works fine. All the coils for the Xterras find any metal, as Longhair will tell you its how well they ID that metal. And depth,,, actually I hope I don't get the coil over too many 9" lincolns!!

Set up was - disc. Custom zero, which I just use pattern 1 with everything notched back in./ Sens. 26, /auto noise cancel channel 2,/ auto gb at 21 ground phase # then switched to tracking, /threshold just audible in phones,/ target stability on, /and multi tones always. ;)

Glad you are liking the 705. I like the Digger coil too but the 5x10 in mod trash works well and you can cover more ground. I never worry about depth with the 705. If you ever get the urge to go really deep, pick up a Coiltek 3Khz WOT coil. For open areas with minimum to mod modern trash it's a deep sucker. The only disadvantage is the weight of the coil but I use a sling so it's not an issue. Oh, and by the way, that 7 inch penny would not even make the 15" coil breathe hard (10" dime, no problem in my soil).

The 705 is a great machine; I've had mine for 2 months already and it's been far easier to use that I anticipated. Although, I've had trouble targeting my finds (looking at the ground area where the coil indicates a target); I keep digging 2-3 inches off the target every time.

have you found the sweet spot of the coil (I have just the stock coil at this time) where it hits the target? My Whites Classic SL II was always dead center of the coil, but the Minelab is off a bit.

Glad you are liking the 705. I like the Digger coil too but the 5x10 in mod trash works well and you can cover more ground. I never worry about depth with the 705. If you ever get the urge to go really deep, pick up a Coiltek 3Khz WOT coil. For open areas with minimum to mod modern trash it's a deep sucker. The only disadvantage is the weight of the coil but I use a sling so it's not an issue. Oh, and by the way, that 7 inch penny would not even make the 15" coil breathe hard (10" dime, no problem in my soil).
That's deep, I allways hear good things on the big coilteks. On another forum, Find mall treasure, the guys there talk up the Minelab 10.5" round DD at the mf, 7.5khz. That coil seems like a good addition to the arsenal. I've gotta slow down the spending for awhile so I'll play with the Digger n 5x10 for awhile. I know with me anyway once you've been at this hobby awhile you don't allways want/need to be going that deep. Here in New England we almost allways hit rocks of all sizes in just an 8" hole. Roots too. You've got about the same set-up as I do. I have not had one issue with the Xterra 705. I had Randy's ebook and the manual on my tablet for a couple mos. Studied them long before I bought the thing. Also have the manual on 7-8 top mid level machines and been all through them. Its one resourse I use to decide which md's was gonna do for me. When this 705 came I only had 45 minutes before I had to go somewhere. I through it together and walked out the door. Turned on and set up in a couple minutes without looking at the manual. For such a high tech md's its easy to use. Just a pleasure to run. Very cool machine.

The 705 is a great machine; I've had mine for 2 months already and it's been far easier to use that I anticipated. Although, I've had trouble targeting my finds (looking at the ground area where the coil indicates a target); I keep digging 2-3 inches off the target every time.

have you found the sweet spot of the coil (I have just the stock coil at this time) where it hits the target? My Whites Classic SL II was always dead center of the coil, but the Minelab is off a bit.
Do you have the concentric coil or 5x10 for a stock option? The concentric should be very easy. Right in the center. DD coils can be a little harder but I haven't had an issue at all. I have the digger 3 khz DD and the 5x10 DD but I switched to pinpoint sizing mode as soon as I first started with it. I figured pp sizing might be a little easier because it doesn't narrow the target response like auto pp does. I wanted to start with pp as close to what most typical machines use for pp. Now though I've tried auto too and have no problem. Usually right under center of the coil on the digger and maybe just a little back from center on the 5x10. An inch at most. Are you judging the performance when ppointing trash targets or a coin? Even a beaver tail tab can throw pinpoint off a little and a severely oxidized iron nail for sure. Also practice on a coin and use the visual aid, the segmented circle. It works well for me.. Good luck and HH.

The 705 amazes me on, the deep small target it picks up! Hit a pellet at around 5"s:wow:, as well as a few other small finds. I really need to pickup a DD coil though... Good luck guys!:mder:

Back
Top Bottom