What can Garret do to improve the AT Pro?

shedigz

Elite Member
I was thinking about this question becuase I was hunting at dusk and when it got darker I could no longer see the VDI. So I think a baklight would make this machine near perfect, in my eyes.
I'm trying to figuer a way to rig something that illuminates the screen without me having to hold a flash light over it. Some kind of contraption that holds the light over the vdi.

I was thinking about this question becuase I was hunting at dusk and when it got darker I could no longer see the VDI. So I think a baklight would make this machine near perfect, in my eyes.
I'm trying to figuer a way to rig something that illuminates the screen without me having to hold a flash light over it. Some kind of contraption that holds the light over the vdi.

I use a cap light.
It has red where you can still see the screen and dig, low power white that makes it like day and a high power setting that I never use.
Works well, came with batteries and only about $15.

Attachments

• cap light.jpg
    cap light.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 421
I would like a volume adjustment and have a means to adjust the aim of the screen so that you do not have to bend over to read the information that is being displayed. I also have a lot of problems with a reflection on the clear plastic screen that also prevents a clear view of the information without having to tilt the unit.

I contacted them about getting longer cables for the coils but they wont do it.
I would rather chestmount the control pod, which then it would just be the rod and coil your moving under water and not pushing the control housing.
I do this on another machine and it makes quite a difference, much easier.
I don't look at the screen when water hunting, just use the tones.

I contacted them about getting longer cables for the coils but they wont do it.
I would rather chestmount the control pod, which then it would just be the rod and coil your moving under water and not pushing the control housing.
I do this on another machine and it makes quite a difference, much easier.
I don't look at the screen when water hunting, just use the tones.

I like that one!!

<*)))>{

My solution can be found here...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=108710

<*)))>{

I use a cap light.
It has red where you can still see the screen and dig, low power white that makes it like day and a high power setting that I never use.
Works well, came with batteries and only about $15.

Actually, I was trying to come up with a way to mod one of those goose neck book lights.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

It's too heavy at 3.03 lbs with the factory 8.5X11 coil. Why doesn't Garrett lighten it up more by putting on the 5X8 DD as the factory coil? There are many, many features that Garrett could add to the AT Pro. It would bring up the weight and certainly bring up the cost of this high performing machine, but we'd have a top notch machine. I really think they should also change the color back to Garret yellow. HH

I would like a volume adjustment and have a means to adjust the aim of the screen so that you do not have to bend over to read the information that is being displayed. I also have a lot of problems with a reflection on the clear plastic screen that also prevents a clear view of the information without having to tilt the unit.

This is why I went to a straight Shaft setup puts the face of the screen towards me and better balance using the stock coil. I use to just use the 5x8 all the time but Like the coverage of the stock coil. My other problem is the closeness of the connectors to the control housing could have been about a 1/4 inch farther away from it would help . The 6x9 concentric coil is a breeze now as well as it has a little heft to it too

Different ( better/easier) connectors , thats a BIG one. I also think that an ALL TERRAIN detector should have an adjustable threshold , thats a no brainer , a machine advertised as multi purpose all terrain detector that can even be used for prospecting is not complete without this useful function. A larger ID number readout would be good too , as well as come from the factory with better headphones.... I would be ashamed to put my company logo on those stock headphones. But all that said its still a decent detector for what it currently is , its just there is definately room for improvement. Backlights are nice but using them just drains the batteries a LOT faster , costing a lot more money to use each year.

Different ( better/easier) connectors , thats a BIG one. I also think that an ALL TERRAIN detector should have an adjustable threshold , thats a no brainer , a machine advertised as multi purpose all terrain detector that can even be used for prospecting is not complete without this useful function. A larger ID number readout would be good too , as well as come from the factory with better headphones.... I would be ashamed to put my company logo on those stock headphones. But all that said its still a decent detector for what it currently is , its just there is definately room for improvement. Backlights are nice but using them just drains the batteries a LOT faster , costing a lot more money to use each year.

The cable plugs are pretty cheesy for such an expensive detector. Plus if you got stubby fingers, it's a pain to connect/tighten the cable. I'd actually like to see a more robust control connection at the box. Seen too many snap off at the screws. My Whites machines take a beating. My AT pro rides up front in a padded seat with a seatbelt on so it doesn't get hurt:lol::shock:
Backlights aren't always a good thing. I know the CTX actually bothers my eyes at night. I only cut the light on if I absolutely have to.

Overall I'm very happy with my AP Pro. If I had to change anything, I would have to agree that the connectors design and placement could be improved. I'm a electrician in a lumber mill and deal with many different cord connected/pin & sleeve control devices. The design used on the AT Pro could easily be much less cumbersome.

Regarding display illumination. I carry a led headlamp. No drain on the detector and illumination wherever I turn my head.

The balance of the AT Pro is horrible. The screen is too small. The pinpoint bar should be where the sensitivity strength bar is. The cable connectors are a !!!!! to use. Poor overall quality. The warranty is too short. However, it does work well at finding silver coins. A land version with improvements would be nice.

beephead

I would back light the screen, change the connectors, and increase the size of the screan, but what I wish more for the most is to change the tones so that zink and copper pennies had their own tone distinct from other coins. If I could I would have it chage tones in pro zero at 0-34for iron, 35-52 for foil, 52-58 for nickels, pull tabs and small aluminum targets, 60-70 would have its own tone ( I have never dug a good target in this range!). 74 would signal copper, 78 would be Chuck Cheese voice saying "it's a token" 77 would be a zincolns, and 78-99 would be the dig me sweet tone it already is! I hunt in the dark so I need sound more than numbers.

I think we have to keep in mind that the ATPro does have a lot of features for the price. If it cost the same as an etrac I'm sure they would have included much of what people have suggested, but I'm glad it didn't. For the money there is not another machine that can compete with the ATPro that is waterproof, as fast and as good at target separation. By the way I'm only basing what I'm saying from what I've read. The ATPro is the hight end detector I've used.

I really with I knew how it really compares to higher end machine when it comes to finding deep silver coins.

Backlight

Larger VDI Numbers

Multi Frequency for salt water hunting and auto tracking to go with it

More Gain because the depth is just not good

Better balance or longer cables to enable chest mounting

Better connector locations

The Cam locks seize up. Go to Plugger's style

A better Grip because foam grips suck

display and weight of the coil or work on a properly balanced machine. I say take some ideas from the Minelab 705 and combine the 2 and you would have a SUPER machine!!

Some talk about the depth not being good. Three weeks ago i found an older and less disturbed area in my local fairground and dug 3 1960's quarters at a little over 12 inches.. .and that was with the 5x8 coil !!!! They were under the topsoil laying on top of a clay layer. Admittedly the soil was super saturated with water but this still proves to me that depth isnt as much of an issue as some claim. If you dont believe me thats fine then i hold on to this information all to myself. But ive seen enough to show that those complaining about lack of depth with the AT either just didnt know how to use it properly or have some other motive behind their negativity. Those of us that have seen impressive depth results read complaints on depth and have to chuckle a little bit , we know they didnt know what they were doing and those were the results.

Oh , and the deep quarters read as quarters though they bounced a little and the sound was faint. At that depth i could only just wiggle the coil over them to isolate them. You have to know what you are doing with any detector to bring out its full potential.

I want a momentary backlight. That way I can hunt in the dark, and only burn the batteries for the light when I need them instead of continuously. And as otheres have stated, improve access to the connectors. Maybe add another tone or two.

The only thing I can think of is that the connectors are so dang small and hard to connect!!! :D Everything else is about perfect.

Back
Top Bottom