Another research tool.

RaylandRat

Elite Member
I was playing around on "Flickr" the photo site and came across a photographer who likes abandoned buildings. From the groups listed there are photographers shooting pictures of abandoned sites all over. You name it and there are shots of about almost anything abandoned. Anyway, He had lots of photos of abandoned homes and resorts in the Borsht Belt (SE New York state). If you live in the area you probably already know about these sites, but I thought this was interesting. Go to Flickr, search Borsht Belt and look for the photographer rchrdcnnnghm and go to his photostream. I'm going to narrow my search and see if there is anything more local.

ok

That's a great idea. Are they the same pictures as on Google earth. Anyways I was looking on GE and others post pictures and put them into the location they took them. Although the placement is not always accurate. I spent 4 hours today looking for an abandoned shack. 2 of those hours lost going in circles. Hahaha, it was a fun adventure. Never found the shack.

Yes, flickr and also panoramio are great for detecting research. You can punch in a town or county and get alot of pics of potential sites.

Interesting, I just found a youtube video of an abandoned house in my area last week and am in the process of locating it. Apparently people also go around and video tape them. Just type abandoned house and your city in youtube.

If you get to the photographer I was refering to, did you see the resort in the woods? It starts out with rock steps, shows what's left of the stone and brick walls of the resort, old swimming pool, ect. What a place to detect?

Another resource to check out is any website dealing with ghost hunting. There are probably more ghost hunters than detectorists and they've already found tons of abandoned places in their research. Plus there are websites listing ghost towns by state, not necessarily haunted, some of which may be closer than you think.

Back
Top Bottom