How to ask permission?

johnson

Ok, so there is this really old plantation style house not far from where I live.
Its rundown and hasn't been lived in in years.
I believe that I may have tracked down the owner but hear is my dilemma.

How do I contact them? Should I call or send a letter, or what? I know the best results would probably come from a person to person conversation. but I'm just not comfortable going and knocking on someones door and saying I'm so and so and I'm looking for so and so that owns the property at such and such location. Can I go metal detecting there?
I just tend to get very uncomfortable in situations like that.

So how would you guys go about asking?

asking in person GREATLY increases your odds.....in this hobby you really should get over your fear of talking to people if you want to get permission for private property, I was nervous when I first started knocking doors, now it is second nature and i will knock on any door anywhere without any fear at all

send a letter and most likely they will throw it out, call them and they might say yes, but it is easier for them to say "NO" on the phone....go in person and most likely you will get a yes, in my honest opinion. I have been door knocking for 5 yrs now.

Door Knocking

In a different interest of mine, I ask for permission in person as much as possible. Initially, I wasn't too sure how it would go, but now, the worst they can say is "no" which is what they can say any time no matter how I ask.

I also give them my contact information; Name, address, phone number and email address. If there are stipulations other than the "any gate that's close, close if you go through it" type of thing, then those other stipulations need to be written out, and a copy for each the land owner and me is made.

I also try to let the landowners know approximately what my schedule of attendance will be. If they aren't worried about that, that's ok, but if I talk with them after that, I still say something like "See you next weekend".

The other thing I get from the landowner is a copy of their contact information; if I plan on being there, and something comes up, I want to let them know about it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom