Newbie looking for advice

JD Shellnut

Greetings from Maryland! long time lurker first time poster. I've been fascinated with metal detecting / treasure hunting since I was a young boy but never purchased a md. I've always been envious of the beachcombers and relic hunters.

Fast forward 25 years. I have a 14 year old son who may as well be addicted to xbox. I am trying to reconnect with him. Show him what the sun looks like, maybe get him to enjoy some fresh air. We watch **diggers** (fake yes or no?) and other discovery tv shows and we have dabbled with the idea of doing our own adventure hunts. I know it will be a good hobby for me that I will stick with. I have friends that have been mding for several years. That said I get conflicting recomendatjons on devices. One says bounty hunter lone star, another says fisher, and the other says white's coin shooter. Lots of different models to choose from and I have done some comparisons.

So what is this guy looking for you may be asking..... I want a decent md for my self in the 200ish range and a fairly cheaper one for my son. The reason for cheaper is if he meets the sun and hates it I dont want to be out a bunch of money. There is a Fisher dealer near my town other than that I will have to order them online. Any experienced recomendations would be great. Thanks for reading. Sorry for spelling and grammar. ....my phone hates my thumbs :laughing:

JD, an ACE 250 or a Fisher F2 might be a good machine for yourself. As for your son, there are all kinds of low end machines out there. Places like Radio Shack carry them and companies such as Bounty Hunter too.

Hi, Check with our sponsors here on the site. Look for the link up in the right hand corner, - List all Sponsors. Steve's metal detectors , Bart at Big Boys Hobbies, Rich at Colonial. You can get the best pricing by calling or text/email them and great service as well. I have no affiliation with any detector Co. I'm just one of the guys here who has recently bought a Great mid level machine from BBH.
From my months of research the Eurotek Pro, and Fisher F2 are top choices among experienced detectorists. Some love the Garetts like the Ace series yet others use and like Whites. All good md's. If I was in your price range Id go with a Eurotek Pro. Call Steve's on that and you might do well on one for both of you. Bart at Big Boys and other sponsors will take care of you. Best Bang for the buck.

Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, or Garrett 250 are great detectors in that price. It's always best to stick with a major brand i.e Whites, Fisher, Garrett, Teknetics, Tesoro, Minelab, etc. I would suggest the F2 or Eurotek Pro due to the fact that they have large VDI numbers for target ID which is easier to read and better at giving target info than the notch type ID on the 250. Also check out the sponsors on this forum, they just about always have the best price, especially when it comes to forum members, and they all have great reviews, not only that they are always around for questions. I'd shoot out a few e-mails and see who can get you the best deal.

Back
Top Bottom