Dead Stream Swamp

hoser

Forum Supporter
This swamp is huge. I covers just about the size of one county. There have been several people go in and not come out. I just got a lead on an old trappers cabin that is tucked way back in this place. After an hour boat trip to a small camping area, there is another 45 min walk to get to the cabin. :shock: Question to all of you is... What, if anything do you suppose I would find at a place like this? Not sure if the trappers back then had a whole lot of loot, but it may be worth the trip just to find out eh. I know I would probably find some old traps and such. What ya'll think?

I would go for it!  :yes: Just be careful!
Tomorrow I am supposed to go with my sis to an old abandoned cabin here in Alaska that has been torn down.  My sis & her hubby found alot of stuff inside of the cabin years ago.....even a pistol in a dresser drawer!  I think she said it was around an hours ride or so on the 4 wheelers to get to it....way back in the woods.
Haven't got to do much detecting since I got here......been cloudy & rainy till today!
I still have till August 23rd till I go back to Texas  :(

Careful with Bigfoot & aliens! :lol:

hoser said:
This swamp is huge. I covers just about the size of one county. There have been several people go in and not come out. I just got a lead on an old trappers cabin that is tucked way back in this place. After an hour boat trip to a small camping area, there is another 45 min walk to get to the cabin. :shock: Question to all of you is... What, if anything do you suppose I would find at a place like this? Not sure if the trappers back then had a whole lot of loot, but it may be worth the trip just to find out eh. I know I would probably find some old traps and such. What ya'll think?

Sasquatch.......... Careful Bill its mating season... whatever you do don't bendover. :lol:

Here's a tip Bill, Don't go alone. Maybe you will find an old trapper sitting in his chair long gone if you get my drift. just kidding. Never know what someone left behind of no value to them AT that time. I would think that it is a great place to visit even if nothing turns up. My hunch is something good is gonna be found by you.....Keep us posted, and don't forget the compass, cel phone, gas for the outboard, food for a couple days, water, gps, snake bite kit. sidearm, machette, and fishing gear, (case things get slow) extra spark plug, and a tool kit, bug spray, and sasquatchbgone repellent Good Luck, and make sure you check in as soon as you get back........... ;).....Gil

I would go for it, but carefully. Like Gil said, don't go alone! You never know what those trappers may have cached, what with all of the dangers of life back then. Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

I wouldn't think you'd find much in the way of coins and all as they usually dealt in bartering. But I sure would go for it as it sounds like a great adventure - and you just might find some things the old boy hauled in for personal satisfaction. Good luck, steve i nso az

Take a GPS unit. You can get an Etrex (spell ?) for as little as $88. Easy to use too.

With the cabin being previously occupied by an interesting breed of venture capitalists, you may want to bring along a few heavy duty pokers to jab at whatever you find underground, you never know if it's something they left for an intruder a looooong time ago.  I get this visual of Deliverance, except Burt has a MD instead of a bow and arrow.  I'd be careful....

HH as always,

Bri-

Little more info. I will be going with another guy who kinda knows where it is at. Also, he told me several of his friends have gone there, but none of them are MR'ers. I would assume the cabin has been emptied of anything good. He also said it still had the old sod roof still intact. This will be a fall trip so the bugs won't be an issue. Hope this pans out for this year. If not, it will definately be a spring trip.

Sounds like an awesome site hoser! GL, I'm sure you'll find something nice.

Craig - :lol:

Remember that movie, name escapes me, where the millionare and his wife go to this remote camp so she can model for pictures, Alec baldwin was in it and he was the assistant. to make a long story short, small plan crashed, BIG bear and when they found the old trappers cabin, DEAD FALLS, covered pits with spiked poles sticking up for bears,,,,,, I guess I'm just saying be carefull and interested in what you find...Joe

Go for it Hoser. With a place like that you never know what is there, which for me it would make it more interesting. GL

I'd go just for the hunt. I wouldn't think there would be many coins. I really would like to see your post on what you found. Rob

Hoser, don't forget the digital cam, and post us some pics. This sight sounds so good, I can't wait to see it! Good luck!

PS: The movie with Alec Baldwin was called "The Edge", also with Anthony Hopkins, one of my favorite actors!

Will do TK. I saw that movie too. Loved it. One thing about it, our bears aren't near as big as the one in the movie. WHEW! :shock: :lol:

I would go for if for no other reason than you will always wonder what you might have found. I think you will find a good time at the least and relics and who knows maybe a hoard if the the old coot wasn't a boozer. :lol: cladius.

If he was a boozer, there could be bottles as well as caches he couldn't remember :lol: Any chance it was a moonshine operation? Raided and arrested (or shot) before they could dig up the cash? Wish I could go. :(
Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom