Stumped on this one

Swinglow

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
On Tuesday I went out for an evening low tide and before the storms chased me out, I pulled a ring that I was sure was gold. It came out of the scoop looking like old dirty low k gold. I hit it with electrolysis and it cleaned up nice. That’s when it got weird. It scratches on a stone like gold, looks like gold, yet 10k acid immediately ate it up. I thought maybe super thick plated gold so I broke the ring with a pair of pliers and scratched it on the break point. Same results. Its stamped “ROBINHOOD” on the inside.

Booooooo!!!
dc1e6fc0735ff7af5701f362aa52440e.jpg

f2c5c9e69ea21917bed93db84f3ce053.jpg

993b1923aadce41c1cfe6bf89a4993e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be plated over brass or a lower k gold. Brass looks awfully close in color to gold. When in doubt ... have it tested. Sure looks good thou.

Sure looks like gold. to do a rough "test," wipe some foundation on your arm. Yes... FOUNDATION. As in 'makeup'.

Rub the ring across the foundation a bunch... if it leaves a black line, it's likely gold enough to be gold. Brass won't leave a black mark.

The foundation particles are small enough that precious metals (gold and silver) are soft enough that it creates micro-abrasions and rubs tiny bits off that show up as a black streak. it's not a chemical reaction, but rather a physical properties test.

Do this with a known piece, btw. It will also work on old aluminum too, but that's not what you're testing here. :)

I'm of the opinion that it's probably just low carat gold. I had a 9k gold ring that got eaten by 10K acid. Since 9K can be up to a half-carat, either way, and I knew it was 9K... I sent it to the refinery, it was about 8.7 carat. That explains why it got eaten by 10K acid.

I think you found a winner. :)

You can also do a specific gravity test in water.

Did you try 8K acid? I've had a couple not marked and after a file to remove any plating. Both turned out to be 10k.

My testing kit doesn’t have acids below 10k. I need to buy new stuff so I’ll get one that tests lower K. I should just stop being cheap and buy a Kee gold tester

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom