detecting detectors?

Scavenger

I am thinking about taking my new Whites Beachhunter on vacation. This requires flying with it. Has anyone had experience taking MD's through airports, does it result in delays and increased scrutiny from security? I have a hardcase that will contain it and qualify for carry-on. But it seem like a trade off between more searching as a carry on vs. better handling than as a check-in.

I have flown a couple times with mine. It breaks down into 3 pieces and fits in it's own hard case that I put into a larger suitcase. Fisher 1266 XB.

Important - - inside the detector case, right on top I lay a detecting magazine showing someone detecting. That way they all say "oh that's a detector" and no problem. Good luck, Steve in so az

I tore mine down, wrapped the control unit in bubble wrap (take the batteries out first). I usually tape my business card with my cell phone number asking to call me if there are any problems. I typically put the MD in check-in baggage. If it's carry-on (which I haven't done) I expect a lot more questions. But otherwise, there hasn't been any problems.

I do like Steve's idea about putting a magazine in there with it, just in case a screener has never seen one.

Keep in mind TSA hiring requirements have a priority on a lack of humor and civility. ;) So plan on that before you leave.

Sometimes a good idea to remove the batteries, then again the security people might want to see it working, to prove it really is a detector. If in doubt call the airline and ask.

LOL, I took my chronograph with me on vacation one year (before 9-11). I packed the control box (4"x5"x1-1/2" with full numeric keypad, several buttons including "Program", "Timer Command", "Countdown", "Trajectory", etc etc & several In/Out jacks on the back) in my carry on bag. Of course, they wanted to see it after the bag went through xray. They never asked what is was, only if there were batteries in it & if they could see it work (they seemed to be obsessed with turning cameras on). Anyway, I showed them the ON switch, which was promptly flicked. The digital display then showed "Timer Command", & when he pushed the "GO" button, 3.00 seconds appeared on the screen and immediately counted down to zero with what sounded like a deafening beep when it reached 0.00 seconds. He flipped the power switch off, stuffed it back in the bag & handed it to me, motioning me to procede to the plane :shock:

This subject was covered on another forum. The consensus was to carry it on. There many horror stories about the ones that got broken by the baggage handlers. You will be asked to make it operate.

Another thing, the airline will not cover the price of a damaged detector. I believe the reinbursment limit was $200 per case max. Rob

i have been flying between france,uk,on n of for last 5 months and have always taken the coil and box with me as a hand item,there is no way im gona let my finder go below and have to deal with who nows who chucking bags around,the first time i phoned the airport(not the airline)as it is the security that deals with stuff like this,the airport put me through to the security office,the guy said as long as i have no sharp implement ecompanying it all was good,still was fliping out as with all the circuitory in a detector i was sure they would raise an eyebrow or two,not a flutter,since then i have been back and forth with out any queries :yes:
if you want peace of mind take it aboard with you along with magazines of course

Important - - inside the detector case, right on top I lay a detecting magazine showing someone detecting. That way they all say "oh that's a detector" and no problem.

Excellent idea, thanks Steve!

Like ACANTHUS said I think it will be a little hard to carry it on after today. A lockable hard case and check in would be best.

Back
Top Bottom