It's just a stupid ring UPDATE! 8-8-17 Ring's owner found. See KHouses Video in comments.

Kapi

Forum Supporter
So why am I so upset about it? His best day was my worst. I know, I find a lot of gold. Why do I care? Why has this affected me so much? I'll get over it but right now I'm just very sad and I guess angry, mostly at myself, a little at him too. I'm trying to be happy for him. I really am. But I am just...UGH.... It's just a stupid ring!

So I'm at the pier yesterday grid searching the south side when another detectorist arrives and walks down and stops near the tide line right in front of me. He stops and turns his machine on and as I approach him I hear his machine right as I hear a good signal.

I don't dig it as his machine is on and I'm hearing mostly him plus he was now talking to me so I stopped to be cordial. I SHOULD have asked him to turn his machine off so I could dig the target but instead we just talk. We introduced ourselves and instead of yelling at him for stopping right in my grid line or asking him to turn his machine off so I could dig the target I was nice and figured I'll wait til he walks away so I marked the ground to check it after he moved.

He may have wondered why I drew a line in the sand, I don't know. Why didn't I say "Hey I was grid searching here so if you don't mind moving over somewhere else..." Instead I'm thinking he'll move elsewhere. He didn't. As we talked I figure I'll check the line after he moves but he doesn't move so I figure I'll check it on the way back as I continue to grid and eventually walked away wishing him luck.

I think he said he's an inland hunter and this was his first beach hunt. I took maybe 20 steps when he comes over and says "Hey guess what I just dug on my first swing right where I talked to you." He then shows me a nice 18k diamond ring. I asked "Was it right next to a line?" He said he didn't notice. Going back I saw that it was. I told him I'd heard a good signal but figured I'd check it after he moved somewhere someone wasn't already detecting. I kinda joked "You should give me that." He joked back "I should kiss you."

Oh well, I should have dug what I heard. My own fault. Congrats Ken P.S. I know you're an inland hunter and this was your vacation but for future reference it's very rude to start detecting next to someone already detecting.

I don't know if he'll read the beach section and I'm not going to say who he was as he's a member on this forum but I just felt the need to vent. I couldn't even sleep last night. I just keep beating myself up and ended up with a migraine. Why didn't I just dig it?

Attachments

• !8k Diamond Ring.jpg
    !8k Diamond Ring.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,070
  • 18k gone.jpg
    18k gone.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,057
Last edited:
Oh holy Moses, I'd be aggravated too and it wouldn't matter where it happened, land or sea. That's just not cool... :no:

There is just no accounting for rude people. I get the same thing when fishing in popular spots. People fishing or walking in your holes. Drives me crazy.

Sadly if you had waited him out then that signal would have been a pull tab. That is how it goes.

BCD

i think I would have said excuse me ,I was digging a target right here. Then dug it up. Newbs just don't understand beach etiquette.

i think I would have said excuse me ,I was digging a target right here. Then dug it up. Newbs just don't understand beach etiquette.

Just for the record, that's not just beach etiquette, it's also land hunting etiquette, so newb or not at the beach a person should know this anyway. If someone came up and did this to me at the city park I'd have a kindly but firm chat with them then shoo them off.

Sorry about your misfortune Kap. That's a hard lesson learned in pirate school. Sometimes in the spur of the moment mistakes are made, hope you find a huge emerald today to help you forget about it. HH Dave

Almost think it was a honest mistake. He may have been so excited to be there,..... then seeing you sounds like he was not thinking. But he should have offered the ring to you and given you the option.

Best to let it go,....... lesson learned.

Thus is a pirate's life... we pillage... we plunder... losing gold is always a bummer! (That could be hallmark card)!

Almost think it was a honest mistake. He may have been so excited to be there,..... then seeing you sounds like he was not thinking. But he should have offered the ring to you and given you the option.

Best to let it go,....... lesson learned.

I think you are correct. He really seemed like a nice guy and I doubt he even noticed I was grid searching. If he was mean I may have called him out on the forums but really he was quite nice and it was pretty cool to see his face after finding such a nice ring but still it hurt deeply.

Sorry about your misfortune Kap. That's a hard lesson learned in pirate school. Sometimes in the spur of the moment mistakes are made, hope you find a huge emerald today to help you forget about it. HH Dave

Thanks Dave!

Owch. :shock: That is rough. :no: I would definitely have been up all night steaming about that too if that happened to me.

I've never run into another detectorist over here...I hope I never do...

The not turning off his machine as he approached to talk to you is a classic sign he has NO clue. Walking straight through your grid line is another no no. Then deciding he's gonna hunt right along side of you...really?

I sincerely hope he does read this section of the forum because he NEEDS to know that you just dont do these things if you want to be respected. His first swing and he digs an 18k with diamonds...yeah, its all up hill from here! He didnt earn it so my bet is your gonna see his water detector on CL very soon:roll:

Last edited:
Probably didn't know. What was he swinging? Barb... last time I hunted there were 4 or 5 friends/family waiting and watching in the parking lot. They were waiting for me to find a hot spot. Once I did find it they came and swarmed the spot 3 ft away from me.
Ken just got lucky.... then again is it possible the diamond ring was in his pocket

I don't get it? Did you rent or own that beach?

He wasn't hunting 'in your face'. As i look at his steps he was trying to get, and almost was past you. To get out of your hunting direction.
The situations looks like this ring was just a lucky coincidence hit for him.
If he would have walked right in front of you concequent i would follow you, but this doesn't look like he fooled you.
You crossed each other and he got lucky. How big a change is that to hit right on that crossing spot? That's pure (bad) luck and nothing more.

How many times don't we have that? That someone finds something before you? But how many finds did you find nice, and then someone came who couldn't find anything because you already did?
I've crossed several. Many more crossed me. What's the problem as long as they don't hunt right in front of me (and me behind them).
You win some, you loose some.

I really hope from the bottom of my heart that you will find a cimular or even better ring next time to comfort you with your sadness.

If someone came up and did this to me at the city park I'd have a kindly but firm chat with them then shoo them off.

You own the city park? What gives you the right to send others away?
It's good that you live at the other side of the ocean so we will never meet. Because you would have a worst job getting me out of that park. It ain't yours only. I have as much rights to be there too.

There is just no accounting for rude people. I get the same thing when fishing in popular spots. People fishing or walking in your holes. Drives me crazy.

Had that with fishing too. Was fishing on a spot were i was many times.
Once when i was fishing for a few hours a man came and got mad. That was his regular spot, he said.
To bad for him. It was one of my regular spots too. He didn't own the water or land next to it. There wasn't a sing "reserved".
Come on man, no one has more rights than another.
So, rude? Egoisme is rude.

Last edited:
Btw. How far should this go?
More then 10 years ago i was one of five hunting in my wide suroundings, widely around my village and the city next to it at all the known spots with good finds.
Then the hype started and many joined, and the crisis came were fired people got more time to go "hunting for gold to become rich again" (yeah right :laughing:).
Now many tens or perhaps even hundred+ people hunt in 'my area'.
Should they all leave when i arrive and stay away because "it's my regular hunting area" and they are later so "i have first rights"? That would be nice (for me :lol: ). I think that would be ridiculous.

You own the city park? What gives you the right to send others away?
It's good that you live at the other side of the ocean so we will never meet. Because you would have a worst job getting me out of that park. It ain't yours only. I have as much rights to be there too.

I never said I'd run him out of the park, but I certainly would explain that he was blocking me and ask him to step out of my path and keep a decent distance. Nothing rude or uncivil about that IMO! It's not like I'd sock him in the mouth or anything :lol:

DAAANNNGGGGG... Well I have a very similar story to. It was about 6 months ago and it STILL bugs me... I was hunting with a few other veteran'd detectorists and I was doing very tight grids up and down the cut.. For whatever reason I stopped, walked about 15 ft and started again. Then "that guy" walks into the section I DIDNT grid and finds a platinum with diamonds.. I WAS :mad::mad::mad::mad:... NOT at him but at my self.. And that my friend is the worst you can be,. Mad at yourself!!!!!!!! Who knows,,,?? Who knew???? It happens. It happens but it blows.......

I never said I'd run him out of the park, but I certainly would explain that he was blocking me and ask him to step out of my path and keep a decent distance. Nothing rude or uncivil about that IMO! It's not like I'd sock him in the mouth or anything :lol:
Things are different in different countries across the world. If I tried that the guy would laugh in my face and spend the next few hours trying to walk in front of me.

Things are different in different countries across the world. If I tried that the guy would laugh in my face and spend the next few hours trying to walk in front of me.

Amazing... I remember my trip over to England decades ago and one of the things I had to get accustomed to was how crowded certain places were, but I also remember the people being exceptionally nice.

Then again my recent contact with some continental European types has been less than pleasant, not sure why but I get that some places aren't as, let's say, friendly... :yes:

Back
Top Bottom