Anybody dumpster dive in their spare time?

itsaring!

24K Larry
Forum Supporter
:lol: Beaches so slow I had to resort to what we call treasure hunting down this way. A few scores. Wheelchair I'm fixing to post to CL for $75:shock: Full updated propane bottle was found too. Also some tongue and groove flooring to make some shadow/ring boxes:cool: Fixing to see what the beach will do:lol:

Attachments

• SAM_2483.jpg
    SAM_2483.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 398
  • SAM_2484.jpg
    SAM_2484.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 416
If I was in the US i'd be doing that and keeping a close eye on craigslist "free" category... harder to go wrong when something was free.

Great finds! I just turned in 136 pounds of aluminum I've salvaged, less than one year's time, from the company dumpster.

I have and found a garbage bag from an eviction that had $300.00 worth of gold jewelry in it.

I found my television in the dumpster at work. A guy tried to pawn it but couldn't get it to work so he threw it in the dumpster. I even got the remote. With a little trying different things I got it to work and it works great. That was just the color that happened to be on at the time.
TV.jpg
I used to work for an apartment complex and people throw all kinds of things away. Some new still in the package. Even unopened Christmas gifts.

End of semester at colleges can be a fun time too. Awhile back i lived at a major one in CT and the week leading up to end of semester was a bonanza in the recycling rooms, clothes with tags still on them, small furniture, etc. I put out plastic bins with 'recycle your textbooks" signs on them and the kids would fill them up nicely for me. I think on the last day of move out for the year I posted over $2000 in books on amazon...
Thanks kids! :lol::lol::lol:

I dont do it like I used to . Used to find some cool stuff every now and then . I used to check a dumpster for a car repo company , thats one dumpster that pays to dig all the way to the bottom and leave no bag unopened . Cameras , gps units , laptops , unbelievable stuff . I'm sure the employees made off with the good stuff . A friend of mines girlfriend would go in and get all kinds of baby stuff , clothes , bags , car seats , etc , and sell it at yard sales and flea markets . She would go thru purses and find gift cards and merchandise cards that still had money on them .

If you've ever watched Extreme Cheapskates you will see people who decorate their homes and feed and clothe themselves from almost nothing but what they find in dumpsters. There are some really crazy people on there. Like a pregnant woman who raided a pharmacy dumpster for prenatal vitamins, and a lady who fed herself almost exclusively from the food restaurants and grocery stores have thrown out (she even prepared a meal from this food and served it to her extended family. They were not thrilled to discover the source).

That said, you can find good stuff in dumpsters, a guy I know found two perfectly good wheelchairs in a dumpster.

I am generally very thrifty, I hate spending money. But I have never dumpster dived... mainly because I have never seen anything worth having. If I did though I would probably do it.

I found my television in the dumpster at work. A guy tried to pawn it but couldn't get it to work so he threw it in the dumpster. I even got the remote. With a little trying different things I got it to work and it works great. That was just the color that happened to be on at the time.
View attachment 317918
I used to work for an apartment complex and people throw all kinds of things away. Some new still in the package. Even unopened Christmas gifts.

Who throws away unopened Christmas gifts?! :shock: Or perfectly good stuff? If I get something I don't want and I can't return it I save it for the yard sale or regift it. People are so wasteful. :mad:

If you've ever watched Extreme Cheapskates you will see people who decorate their homes and feed and clothe themselves from almost nothing but what they find in dumpsters. There are some really crazy people on there. Like a pregnant woman who raided a pharmacy dumpster for prenatal vitamins, and a lady who fed herself almost exclusively from the food restaurants and grocery stores have thrown out (she even prepared a meal from this food and served it to her extended family. They were not thrilled to discover the source).

That said, you can find good stuff in dumpsters, a guy I know found two perfectly good wheelchairs in a dumpster.

I am generally very thrifty, I hate spending money. But I have never dumpster dived... mainly because I have never seen anything worth having. If I did though I would probably do it.

Best to scout surrounding neighborhoods right before dark the day before garbage day. I don't invade my friends grounds he does this at. But I did plumbing in that neighborhood and know they use Butlers and maids in these smaller houses. You should see the antique furniture he finds at the curb:shock: He even found some of those big pottery with glazed sides that appear to have held maybe pickles thrown out.

One of my other pastimes besides MDing and bottlehunting is stereo/hi-fi. About ten years ago, I was visiting my sister and I saw one of her neighbors had piled a bunch of junk out for the next days' trash. It took me mere seconds to dig this Pioneer SX-1250 out of the mess. I was surprised to find that it not only worked great, but it pumped out 160 watts per channel! I still use it regularly.

Then about two weeks ago, I saw a house in my city that workers were emptying the contents of into a large walk-in dumpster. There was an array of furniture in the yard that they were offering passersby before it was loaded into the junk. I grabbed these two Marantz HD-880 speakers and do they ever sound great. Both of these totally free, got by being at the right place at the right time. Why people discard this great stuff, I'll never know, but I'm glad they do!

Attachments

• SS850676.jpg
    SS850676.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 212
  • SS850680.jpg
    SS850680.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 206
Wait!!

I just thought of something...

I hunt ball parks sometimes, does that count?

<*)))>{

One of my other pastimes besides MDing and bottlehunting is stereo/hi-fi. About ten years ago, I was visiting my sister and I saw one of her neighbors had piled a bunch of junk out for the next days' trash. It took me mere seconds to dig this Pioneer SX-1250 out of the mess. I was surprised to find that it not only worked great, but it pumped out 160 watts per channel! I still use it regularly.

Then about two weeks ago, I saw a house in my city that workers were emptying the contents of into a large walk-in dumpster. There was an array of furniture in the yard that they were offering passersby before it was loaded into the junk. I grabbed these two Marantz HD-880 speakers and do they ever sound great. Both of these totally free, got by being at the right place at the right time. Why people discard this great stuff, I'll never know, but I'm glad they do!

Nice finds! I found a go kart once that just needed some wd40 on the clutch. Stereo I found once had a Whitney Houston tape in it. Figured they got burned out on Whitney and tossed it:lol:

If I was in the US i'd be doing that and keeping a close eye on craigslist "free" category... harder to go wrong when something was free.

Good luck with getting free stuff from craigslist. If it's worth having , the pro's already have it. These guys must stay awake watching for new listings 27/7.

Love that old stuff. Today's stuff is built like brown dog junk !!!!.:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom