UPDATE: 11-SEP-21 - MTHA (Massachusetts) 2021 Open Hunt

jimther

Elite Member
Official Announcement (posted 8-11-2021)

Please see reply below, dated 11-September

NOTE: Clarification added on Morning / Afternoon sessions (AUG 12, 2021)

The Massachusetts Treasure Hunting Association (MTHA) is hosting its annual OPEN HUNT at Houghton's Pond in the Blue Hills Reservation in Milton, Massachusetts, near Boston [840 Hillside Road, Milton, Mass, Exit 3 off Route 128]

Date: October 2, 2021. This is a Saturday event. You may sign up for the morning session, afternoon session, or for both. Go to this MTHA link for Hunt Details and Registration options.

Highlights for 2021
:

~ We are continuing the "Fall Silver Search" theme for 2021.

~ Unlike in previous years, where participants could sign up for just a morning or just an afternoon session for a lower price, the 2021 event will be ONE Hunt (two sessions), ONE price. ($100.) [Clarification added 8/12/21]

~ Because of its success in our 2019 hunt, we will again offer ONLINE registration at our web site as an alternative to mailing in a registration form with your check or money order. Online payment is via PAYPAL or credit card. If you register online, you may also want to print the paper registration form which has directions and a map to the hunt site.

~ By request of former attendees, we are seeding with large amounts of silver.

~ We are limiting the number of full day hunters to 100 and opening up more of the beach to allow adequate separation of participants

RAIN or SHINE !

This is a "seeded" hunt on a fresh water beach and we have had participants from most New England states for several years. For the past few years, several Friendly Metal Detecting Forum members participated and from the feedback on this forum, had a great time and were looking forward to this year's event. Ten Forum members attended the 2019 hunt. See these links to the 2019 hunt photos and forum member feedback on the hunt:
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=277798 (Hunt photos)
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=277406 (Forum member feedback)

Some equipment reminders:
~ No pinpointers or large, oversize searchcoils
~ No sand scoops* or belt-worn sieve baskets allowed; only digging trowel or knife and two-part "nail" apron
~ All entrants are required to use HEADPHONES.
* sand scoop, with handle allowed if you are disabled.

We'll be raking the beach before AND after the hunt (help appreciated). It is normally off limits to detecting, being DCR parkland, so we have a SPECIAL USE PERMIT for that day only.

So charge up those batteries or bring extra batteries and your lunch. NO Alcohol permitted on DCR Parklands.

Bring your Hunt Flyer for Schedule and directions:

Also, check the MTHA Web Site from time to time for updates, as the prize list grows. I will also post these as I receive them from Sandi, our HuntMaster.

P.S. Please include your email on the form so that I may acknowledge your entry and payment. And if you do sign up, please PM me or reply to this thread so I can create a poster at the hunt site of FMDF member representation and can say hi that day. Thanks.

Please check back here from time to time for additions and/or corrections.

Good luck everyone !

Jim M. (jimther)
MTHA Librarian
Link to Registration page at MTHA web site: https://masstreasure.com/yearly-hunt/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2020 was the first year we’ve not hosted an Open Hunt due to the Covid pandemic. It’ll be great to see the familiar faces and some new ones this year.

If you want to sign up for email notification of hunt details, here’s how:

From our home page at www.masstreasure.com, click the ACTIVITIES tab then select “Yearly Hunt 2021”.[/SIZE]

If you have not been to one of our hunts, here are a couple FMDF links from the 2019 hunt: [2nd link corrected on Sunday, 7-18-21]

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=277406 (Wrap-up details with photo of Forum members who attended)

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=277798 (with link to Web Album of Hunt Photos)

Last edited:
That would be nice, I'm bringing the wife and kids this year too. Should be a blast! Let me know if Sandy needs any coin donations, I have plenty to spare. Thanks Jim!

Sounds like a good time for the whole family, Jeff. I know Ed “diggin4clad” and Sue want to come. Tim will be at the Rhode Island hunt on October 2nd & 3rd though.

Regarding your offer to supply some coins for the hunt, I’m certain Sandi won’t turn you down. Members have also been asked to donate silver coins for the hunt, in addition to what hunt fees will purchase and what we’ll have for dealer and manufacturers’ donations. Very generous Jeff… thank you.

Tim will be at the Rhode Island hunt on October 2nd & 3rd though

No October hunt this year in RI. The guy who runs it decided to skip it and have a seeded hunt in Georgia next March instead. Safe to say, I won't be going to that one!

I might be able to attend this year's event. I have tickets to see Sara Evans on that date later in the evening, so it might be hard for me to pull off two events in one day. Maybe I can take a nap after your hunt and still go to the concert! Tough getting old! Lol!

Can't miss Sara Evans, though. Always had a crush on her and I've never seen her in concert. I'll have to think about it, but I should be in on the seeded hunt.

Attachments

• sara evans.jpg
    sara evans.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 707
No October hunt this year in RI. The guy who runs it decided to skip it and have a seeded hunt in Georgia next March instead. Safe to say, I won't be going to that one!

I might be able to attend this year's event. I have tickets to see Sara Evans on that date later in the evening, so it might be hard for me to pull off two events in one day. Maybe I can take a nap after your hunt and still go to the concert! Tough getting old! Lol!

Can't miss Sara Evans, though. Always had a crush on her and I've never seen her in concert. I'll have to think about it, but I should be in on the seeded hunt.

Glad you’ll probably be able to make the MTHA hunt, Tim. A nap between events? Tough getting old? I must be older than old, as I don’t know who Sara Evans is.

Glad you’ll probably be able to make the MTHA hunt, Tim. A nap between events? Tough getting old? I must be older than old, as I don’t know who Sara Evans is.

Older than old? Anyone who still uses or even remembers a "WILCOX digger"
is older than old. :oldguy: That includes me because I still have a couple of them in my cellar collecting dust.

Older than old? Anyone who still uses or even remembers a "WILCOX digger"
is older than old. :oldguy: That includes me because I still have a couple of them in my cellar collecting dust.

Ed, there used to be a discount chain store in eastern Massachusetts, called “ Building 19”. Many of our Mass forum members will remember it. They went bankrupt in 2013. Near the end of their life, I was at the one in Norwood and was surprised to see a small pile of Wilcox-102 digging tools. Just one dollar each. I bought them all, about a dozen. I kept a few and donated the rest as raffle prizes at the next MTHA club meeting. I still have a couple that I use while detecting.
Building 19 was known for their comical, self-deprecating weekly advertising fliers and sales slogans. Here’s a few…

- Good Stuff… Cheap
- Suffer a little, Save a Lot
- support the three-day work week
- America’s messiest department(?) store
- Please leave with as many children as you came with

- Good Stuff… Cheap

Those are humorous slogans for sure. We never had any of those stores in my area but I think that "Railroad Salvage" could have given them a run for their money in the category of messiest department store". :lol:
The Wilcox diggers for a dollar each was a nice price for one. The ones that I have left are in mint condition and are some of the leftovers I still have from the time I sold metal detectors in my store back in the 1980's.

Ed, there used to be a discount chain store in eastern Massachusetts, called “ Building 19”. Many of our Mass forum members will remember it. They went bankrupt in 2013. Near the end of their life, I was at the one in Norwood and was surprised to see a small pile of Wilcox-102 digging tools. Just one dollar each. I bought them all, about a dozen. I kept a few and donated the rest as raffle prizes at the next MTHA club meeting. I still have a couple that I use while detecting.
Building 19 was known for their comical, self-deprecating weekly advertising fliers and sales slogans. Here’s a few…

- Good Stuff… Cheap

Sounds exactly like Ollie's bargain outlet

Ollie’s must be in PA ? Have not heard of them, but those kind of stores are fun to check out on a rainy day when detecting is not an option 🤓

Hi Jim,
I just signed up online for myself and my daughter Jackie, I haven’t been as active here or detecting as much this year but I’m glad I didn’t miss the sign ups, I’m looking forward to seeing all you guys at the hunt!
I didn’t see anything in the online registration about a morning and afternoon hunt, Is it a different format this year, If not I hope I signed up for both hunts.
See you in October!

Clarification to Original Post

Hi Jim,
I just signed up online for myself and my daughter Jackie, I haven’t been as active here or detecting as much this year but I’m glad I didn’t miss the sign ups, I’m looking forward to seeing all you guys at the hunt!
I didn’t see anything in the online registration about a morning and afternoon hunt, Is it a different format this year, If not I hope I signed up for both hunts.
See you in October!

Hi Ron... Happy to see you and Jackie will be attending.

I just looked at our web site and confirmed what you pointed out. I sent a text to our Huntmaster/Webmaster to point this out. Thanks for catching that.
Jim

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
8/12/21 11:35 AM
Ron and others...

After "speaking" with Sandi by text, I have edited my original ANNOUNCEMENT post to clarify that there IS a difference from prior years, regarding Morning/Afternoon sessions & pricing. Please check the Original post. Thank you and sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Only three weeks till OCT 2nd HUNT

Hunt registrations have slowed down a bit.

If you are still planning to attend, here is the link for our online or mail-in registration page. https://masstreasure.com/hunt-more-info/

Also, you will see a scrolling slide show of some of the prizes already amassed by our hunt-master, Sandi, including a DOOR PRIZE of a Sampson 31" "T-Handle Shovel".

Other prizes so far are:

~ Garrett APEX Multiflex detector
~ Garrett AT-PRO detector
~ Minelab Vanquish 540 detector
~ TWO Garrett Pinpointers
~ Garrett tools and pouches
~ More to come...

All this in addition to the seeded coins and SILVER (over $1200 in silver value so far).

Hope the weather that day will be as gorgeous as it is today. See you there !

Jim

Last edited:
Cant wait! My wife is coming this time to try her hand at detecting!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom