Once in a lifetime: Copper Culture Spear Point (Update)

jack&jill

Elite Member
I have been blessed with some great finds over the years. A lot of them by most standards but this one I can say is truly a mind blowing bucket lister for me. Spent a few days with Yooper 69 on some grueling adventures and without a whole lot of success. But it only takes one find that will change it all. That is just what happened, as I got my coil over a once in a lifetime find, a Copper Culture Spear Point that is in fantastic condition. I am not a authority on these types of finds so I'd appreciate any input as to type and age of this specimen. It is just under 6 inches in length with the stem or shaft complete. Even still has some of the side barb on the spear head. I can say being witness to Air Force Mike's digging of his a few years back was a thrilling experience but putting one into my own coffers is just a plain unbelievable feeling.

I done a little research on this historic piece. It comes from the late Archic Period (8000-1000 BC) around 2800 BC. Called a Rat Tail type. Pretty good shape for being about 5000 years old. Not sure our modern tools can last that long
Trapper

Attachments

• spearpoint .jpg
    spearpoint .jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 2,317
  • spearpoint 1 .jpg
    spearpoint 1 .jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 2,371
  • spearpoint 2 .jpg
    spearpoint 2 .jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 2,273
  • spearpoint 3 .jpg
    spearpoint 3 .jpg
    72 KB · Views: 2,288
  • spearpoint 4 .jpg
    spearpoint 4 .jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 2,362
Last edited:
Awesome Trapper that’s a fantastic find! So happy for you and glad you scored a beauty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow what a beautiful find trapper, I hope to get over some native artifacts someday. Big congrats!
Jeff, This proves a blind squirrel can get lucky every once in a while. Have always hoped to put a coil over a piece of history like this. Still can't believe it. I really hope I can get a lot more info on this find.
Trapper, congrats on a real McCoy of artifacts!
Appreciate your comment John. It is a dream come true for this old timer. Still pinching myself and picking it up to make sure it really happened.
Awesome Trapper that’s a fantastic find! So happy for you and glad you scored a beauty
I have been envious of your point Mike thinking that it would be as close as I would ever get to this kind of history. Still in disbelief that it really happened. Looking forward to hearing more about this type of point. Trapper

great stuff! Some of the oldest metal to be found in the usa, congrats!

Holy smokes that’s a heck of a find Trapper! Congrats man!
Thank you Jeff for your comments. I totally agree it is a very awesome find, one that will stay with me forever.
Holy Cow !!!
Appreciate your response Tin, thank you. My response was a bit more colorful digging it.
Congrats man, amazing find!
Thank you Zee. Not a everyday find and one that has substantial history. I look forward to researching it. Trapper

that is one of the few ancient metal artifacts found in North America! we read and see Dougs and other European Hunters wonderful stuff... but to find something that old in America is stunning. we stayed in the stone age so long. some silver and gold but useful tool and weapons of metal? rare rare rarer than a politician telling the truth!

congrats on a save of such wonderful History. makes one wonder what influences the maker had, was it Europeans who wondered over? Ice Bridge Asians? how did ancient cultures arrive at similar designs, just common sense? how did the learn about metals? i know copper deposits are up in the north, but still how did they figure it out?

fascinating. ya could not even spaeak to me for a month on that find! LOLOLOLOL..

definitely a find of the year thing.

ENTER THAT IN SOME OF THE OTHER FORUMS, MAKERS, MANUFACTURERS CONTESTS.. THATS A PRIZE WINNER!!

Copper culture native American find. Awesome !
Thank you Tom. This has been on my bucket want list for a long time. Truth be said I never thought it would happen.
great stuff! Some of the oldest metal to be found in the usa, congrats!
Thank you! You have your facts correct Trevor. Oldest metal works in this continent. I truly wonder of the skills of man at that time.
AWESOME SAVE ! What a terrific find. An extra large congrats on that one Trapper. Good luck, Mark
Appreciate your reply Mark. Was a item that I only dreamed of and never thought it would be. You can't imagine the Ship eating grin on my face every time I pick it up. Trapper

Welcome to the Old Copper Culture Club! Find someone local that specializes in Old Copper Culture and have them look at it.

Attachments

• 162478432_10220066920848103_3304645169850293145_n_copy_358x453.jpg
    162478432_10220066920848103_3304645169850293145_n_copy_358x453.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 2,229
  • 162546148_10220066920768101_3248757704705790562_n_copy_360x449.jpg
    162546148_10220066920768101_3248757704705790562_n_copy_360x449.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,219
Wonderful find! I suspect this was lost thousands of years ago by an ancient relative of Tom in CA, visiting the midwest.

that is one of the few ancient metal artifacts found in North America! we read and see Dougs and other European Hunters wonderful stuff... but to find something that old in America is stunning. we stayed in the stone age so long. some silver and gold but useful tool and weapons of metal? rare rare rarer than a politician telling the truth!

congrats on a save of such wonderful History. makes one wonder what influences the maker had, was it Europeans who wondered over? Ice Bridge Asians? how did ancient cultures arrive at similar designs, just common sense? how did the learn about metals? i know copper deposits are up in the north, but still how did they figure it out?

fascinating. ya could not even spaeak to me for a month on that find! LOLOLOLOL..

definitely a find of the year thing.

ENTER THAT IN SOME OF THE OTHER FORUMS, MAKERS, MANUFACTURERS CONTESTS.. THATS A PRIZE WINNER!!
Seems Dixie you and I have a lot of the same questions. The hows and why's of history, wishing you had all the facts. One fact I know though is there is not one politician that will speak the complete truth. I really glad to have your response on this thread as it tells me I am not alone with the curiosity. Thank you!
That's one of the best finds I've seen posted here since I joined, at least in my opinion. Mega congrats jack&jill!
Thank you for your support in your reply. While there are a lot of very nice finds posted on this forum really old artifacts like this one hold my interest and in my eyes are very special. Just wish I had a lot more of the answers as to who, how and why.
What an incredible find!!
Steve
Appreciate your reply Steve. You get no arguement here, it is a incredible find. Not one that appears every day and I feel really blessed to have it. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom