My First Silver... But it's Plated

Wolf-Dog

Elite Member
Sunday evening my family and I were at our chiropractor's house that was built in 1908. I had detected there once last year, but I asked if I could detect there again.

I started out doing the front yard and didn't find much - a penny and the usual trash. It was 38°F outside and raining quite hard; it was also very windy, and the windchill was about 30°F. :raining:

Just before leaving, I decided to detect around the front walk really quick (even though I had detected there last year). About 10 feet from the path, I got a solid signal showing as a dime on my Garrett Treasure Ace 300! I dug out a nice little plug and after finding 2 nails in the small area, the pinpointer indicated that the object was in the bottom of the plug. I dug down a little deeper (now to about 9 inches) and could see a silver-colored item. I pulled it out and was very excited to find my first spoon! :D

It was bent in half, so I carefully unbent it to reveal the makers mark: “U.S SILVER, CO.” I could see a copper core where it had been bent, so I knew it wasn’t solid silver. (Members here on FMDF helped identify in my thread in Help To ID My Find sub-forum: link) It is silver plated and from the early 1900s. Still, it is my first silver item! :woot:

Thanks for looking, happy hunting, & God bless. :D

May 19, 2019 - U.S. SILVER CO. Spoon (On Detector - Resized).jpg

U.S. SILVER CO. Spoon (Close-up of Makers Mark - Resized).jpg

Last edited:
Congrats Wolf!!! More to come now!!!
Thank you, Travis! :D

Congrats on the spoon! It's a good warm up find of better things to come.
Thank you, John! :D

Truly an AWESOME find Sterling or not !!

I have found 3 spoons so far and only one of them was solid Sterling.. but bent!!
Thank you, SoOregonMd! :D

Cool to find a spoon. Congrats.
Thank you, HDMontana! :D

Very cool find, Congratulations
Thank you, Levi! :D

Though it's plated, it's still a very nice find......
Thank you, Ed! :D

Since the owner of the house is our chiropractor, and my sister & brother were in an accident last month, I may be going back this weekend to his home office, and possibly the next couple weekends as well. :detector:

Have patients Garrett. That first true Silver is out there waiting for you to put your coil over it. The Ring is still a very nice dig. Trapper
Thank you for replying, Trapper! :D Now that I've found a silver plated item, hopefully a silver coin will come easier. :detector:

Good job, Garrett! Way to persevere, and your perseverence paid off! :yes:
Thank you, Dad! :D

Congratulations!
I love finding old spoons and probably have close to 100 of them in my collection now.

Back
Top Bottom