Is this worth metal detecting

Mpetersen

Is this worth metal detecting.
It is a picture of a foundation left of a old school house from northwest iowa.
Is it worth it.

The pic is attached to this post.
Tell me what you think
Thanks guys

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-20 at 7.33.21 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-05-20 at 7.33.21 PM.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 420
Also, what kind of coins would i find.
Just give me your opinion what kind of coins would i find. Thanks

A little research at the local library might help you pinpoint the schools history. Its on a 1930 map, so expect to at least find stuff from 1930-now. What does the site look like today?

It's got the right kind of past to be worth it, but it really depends on what it's like now. Usually, someone has to try it to know if it's "worth it". That someone is you! Give us a report!

No one ever metal detected it too, used it to host meetings for churches sometimes

No one ever metal detected it too, used it to host meetings for churches sometimes

Curious how you know that "no one's ever metal detected it" ? I dunno about your geographic area, but where I'm at: Every single one-room school site like that (that is no secret to research) has been pounded. Even if the current owner or caretaker doesn't think so.

As far as "used for meetings and church", that's a good sign. Because if it was/were strictly one-room country school house, and if it ceased to be used after 1940-ish, then .... I didn't want to be a kill-joy but .... sometimes those have little to no coins. The old addage of "kids didn't have coins/$ in their pocket " (in the depression and prior) is largely true. It wasn't till after WWII that prosperity increased to where every kid had a coin or two jingling in his pocket.

I've hit many 1-room school house sites that date from the late 1800s to the 1930s, and found zero coins. Yet we did find rivets, buttons, suspender clips, lead, copper, etc... which told us the site hadn't been hunted. Yet little to no coins. Or strangely ... if the school site had been active up to 1950, you might get a few late 1940's-era-losses, yet nothing from the earlier (1890s) era. Again, meaning the demographics changed highly after WWII .

But if you say it had cross-over usage as grange-hall, church, etc...., then that means adults mingling about, and better odds at fumble fingers coins.

One never knows what the dirt may be hiding until you put the coil to work. You may find something and then you may not. I would hit it and see. I found three silver coins and a 10k gold ring in a city park that is less than 15 years old. I have also found Nothing in properties that were in use a hundred years ago.

Back
Top Bottom