Illegal to metal detect all National Parks?

Epitome

That is MILLIONS of acres. My aunt has had a house on Fire Island (off southern coast of Long Island) in NY since before I was born (I am 44). As a child my dad would occasionally hit the beach and metal detect for a bit. I have been thinking of detecting there again, but I just researched it and found out metal detecting is strictly prohibited...everywhere....including the beach....because all of Fire Island is a part of the National Park Service. Now I can understand the dunes (you are not allowed to WALK on them anyway), but on the beach? It's sand that in being dug in all over by people and moved around by mother nature anyway. Heck they could make a lot of money issuing revokable permits for metal detecting just on the beach...where everyone is digging anyway! I hate when government just issues blanket rules just because someone has the power to do it. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it's SAND lol

I'm not sure that would apply to your aunts property or the curtilage therein. That one is definately worth checking out.

You are probably right about the inland. The problem is that Fire Island has a southern shore that is ocean beach and a northern shore that is less than a mile away that is the Great South Bay. Everything inbetween is either boardwalk or tick infested poison ivy. The beach is where I wanted to go and used to go with my Dad.

Back
Top Bottom