White's Treasuremaster - Not finding any coins...hmm...

Sir Publius

I'm brand new to metal detecting. I bought a White's Treasuremaster a few days ago, and have used it for a two days straight on my folks old farmstead from 1840. I've been looking specifically for coins and haven't found ONE!!!! I've found a few old axe heads, old hammer, a button, few ammo casings, part of a an old pioneer stove, lots of chunks of steel/farm machinery pieces, lot of old and current pipes (water/electrical etc.), a lot of coke cans, pull tabs, some bottle caps, and lots of other trash, but not ONE...ONE coin!

I have my Treasuremaster set on the coins and jewelry mode, at mid sensitivity, maybe a little past mid, and the discrimination default only is set to block out iron. I don't know too much about metal detectors, but this baby does seem to go DEEP. I've dug quite a few holes where it seemed a foot or more where the item was in fact. So I know it goes deeper than needed for most coins.

I've also tested it with silver coins and quarters and stuff on the the surface to see where it was hitting, the sound, make sure it was picking them up etc., and it did, so it seems like it works fine....but no coins...nada...over 20 acres of land...1840's farmstead...and no coins??!!

Looked immediately around the house in the yard, front, back, side, by large old trees, by the old outhouse, places like that. What am I doing wrong? I mean, there has to be SOME coins on such in inordinately old farmstead, right? Pretty sure no one else has detected it considering the property and what I've been finding. Any thoughts/tips?

Persistence, could be a lot of iron masking. But you should be able to find modern pennies anyway :?: I definitely wouldn't give up though HH!

I'm new also...just got a detector 3 or 4 weeks ago and up to this date I've found $21 in clad. Try going to your local park or ballfield and see what happens.

welcome to metal detecting! I will tell you this alot of those sites like that have so much trash you have to dig it out of the way to find the good stuff. I have a 1817 house I hunted when I first started it has gave up 2 old coins 1902 barber quarter,1854 seated dime and the dime came 75 yards from the house. Ive hunted this site hundreds of hours it just has thiousand of junk targets. A thing to remember is old doesnt mean easy! Some sites you will clean house on and others well they just dont produce. PERSISTANCE IS KEY AND WHEN YOU THINK YOU HAVE COVERED IT GO OVER IT AGAIN.

I'm brand new to metal detecting. I bought a White's Treasuremaster a few days ago, and have used it for a two days straight on my folks old farmstead from 1840. I've been looking specifically for coins and haven't found ONE!!!! I've found a few old axe heads, old hammer, a button, few ammo casings, part of a an old pioneer stove, lots of chunks of steel/farm machinery pieces, lot of old and current pipes (water/electrical etc.), a lot of coke cans, pull tabs, some bottle caps, and lots of other trash, but not ONE...ONE coin!

I have my Treasuremaster set on the coins and jewelry mode, at mid sensitivity, maybe a little past mid, and the discrimination default only is set to block out iron. I don't know too much about metal detectors, but this baby does seem to go DEEP. I've dug quite a few holes where it seemed a foot or more where the item was in fact. So I know it goes deeper than needed for most coins.

I've also tested it with silver coins and quarters and stuff on the the surface to see where it was hitting, the sound, make sure it was picking them up etc., and it did, so it seems like it works fine....but no coins...nada...over 20 acres of land...1840's farmstead...and no coins??!!

Looked immediately around the house in the yard, front, back, side, by large old trees, by the old outhouse, places like that. What am I doing wrong? I mean, there has to be SOME coins on such in inordinately old farmstead, right? Pretty sure no one else has detected it considering the property and what I've been finding. Any thoughts/tips?

Where to start ....... probably at the tot lots honestly! Until you know what clad sounds like you might not understand what your machine is telling you. Even before that there is one step ...... tuning in your machine. For your White's machine that can be pretty easy. Find a pull tab ....... this is your base ........ then find a common nickel .... now you have all your tools. Set the two items about a foot apart ..... swing over both with the machine in the middle settings and start adjusting your sensitivity so that you can clearly hear the nickel, but it kicks out the pulltab. Your machine is now dialed in for the most part ...... so go hit those playgrounds and collecting clad .. for your next upgrade / accessory / new machine!!

Probably masked by alot of iron, nails, old lead nail covers, etc....

Run that machine wide open and listen for mixed tones. Using those modes in heavy iron, I bet you won't recover fast enough to hit a coin in iron.

G2M

Greek, I'll try opening it up. Maybe there's a lot of iron where I'm at?

I'm digging just about everything I hit that is getting a consistent ring-off, and am double-checking my holes to make sure I got it all, so its hard to believe that other junk is masking coins, except if I'm missing some that aren't ringing off because they are IN iron, and my discriminating against iron is somehow making them not ring off. Hmm.

Also good advice to tune in my machine so to speak. I've been trying to learn just by trial and error from what my machine is reading and what I'm getting, but that wouldn't be a bad idea as well. Boy, those pop cans always sound GREAT though don't they?

Just really surprising. I mean, if you get a silver coin anywhere near the surface, you should get a pretty consistent/solid beep I would think, and again, I'm not ignoring anything really, since I'm not experienced enough to know what is what...so maybe there just isn't any where I've looked so far. I don't know.

So if a coin is in the middle of some iron, and you discriminating against iron, it'll often read as iron, and not even alarm the detector? Maybe there's a lot of iron where I'm at? I'll try opening it up and taking off the iron discrimination to see what happens. Also gonna bury some test coins to see what they sound like. Thanks all.

A lot of farmers were very poor, and did not carry any coins in their pockets while doing chores. I think it is common to find none, or few coins at old farms.

So if a coin is in the middle of some iron, and you discriminating against iron, it'll often read as iron, and not even alarm the detector? Maybe there's a lot of iron where I'm at? I'll try opening it up and taking off the iron discrimination to see what happens. Also gonna bury some test coins to see what they sound like. Thanks all.

Usually old farm sites have slot of iron, not always though and yes a good target could easily be mistaken for trash because there's trash above it or right next to it.

May I offer a suggestion to cut down on digging those junk targets. When you swing over an area and get a response, raise the coil while swinging over the target. If you still get a response at 10 or 12 inches it is a large target and probably deep junk. If the target response disappears a few inches off the ground DIG IT !!! That will save you a lot of wasted digging and frustration. Good Luck !!!

Like Mick56 posted, it is not uncommon to find little or no coins at farmsteads.
I've hunted dozens, and I've found that to be the case. Three out of four are skunkers.

A lot of farmers were very poor, and did not carry any coins in their pockets while doing chores. I think it is common to find none, or few coins at old farms.

Yep, most rural farms I have hunted have gave up few if any coins, and usually only a wheat penny or two. Most farmers here either farmed someone elses land in exchange for food, or bartered with other farmers like a pig for a cow.

Like Mick56 said. A lot of farmers did not have a lot of money to lose. They did more bartering for what they needed. I have found very little on farms. Not to say that all did not have much cash. I would start out at parks and schools. Learn the machine and what it is telling you. Also when you do learn the machine. Try door knocking. That is where I find most of my old coins.

BEFORE YOU GET THE WRONG IMPRESSION all my best coins came from farms heres a few and there my be one around there dont give up so fast . Alot of times a you might have a 1930s house on a farm but there is a older place on that farm because familys stayed there for generations. ALL my coins came from farms as I dont dig parks. DSCN1209.jpg these came fromold farms that no longer exist but I have others that came from farms that are still in operation and have been since before the civil war.

DSCN1255.jpg

DSCN1006.jpg

I run my treasure master at almost full sensitivity. Usually at 7. If your getting to many false signals, lower your sensitivity by one, then hunt for another 15 minutes and see how it is. I've found coins at almost a foot with mine. I hardly ever have to turn my sensitivity down below 6. As others have said, persistence is key! Slow down and overlap your swings by at least 50%. Keep your coil flat and as close to the ground as you can. I've hunted my parents 1830's house dozens of times and always seem to find good items when I finally think it's been hunted out. Good luck!

Don't give up

My own backyard was the site of a 1750s farm. I have been detecting it since I moved there in 2001. For several years I pulled nothing but nails, bits of barbed wire, other ferrous junk, and an occasional cool relic, but no coins.

At some point the coins started coming (most Civil War era and newer but not colonial), partly due to upgrading machines, but mostly due to persistence and hauling out the trash. I even removed 1 complete smashed, but intact wheelbarrow!

My advice is to have fun and keep on trying!

Back
Top Bottom