Coin Id Help Please - Hammered Greek/Roman ???

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
Guys - Need some help here with this coin. Let me know any info that that you my have. Methinks it's bronze & hammered. :?:
THANKS!

Attachments

• Unkown Front.JPG
    Unkown Front.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 465
  • Unkown Back.JPG
    Unkown Back.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 604
Looks roman to me, Achaios will surely chime in soon and give a positive id. I'll hazard a guess and say it's minted during the reign of Constans.

Voriax

Actually, I can see TINUS at the end, so it is likely Constatine I. It would be during the period he had the title of Augustus (the AVG at the end of the legend). The reverse legend is FEL TEMP REPARATIO, which loosely translates to "happy days are here again". I can't read the mint, but it appears to be of the 5th officina (E).

I hope this helps.

-- Tom

Correction: I think the end is TIUS, meaning that this is Constantius II (I think, because I'm not sure if Constantius Gallus ever achieved the title of Augustus).

-- Tom

Guys I want to thank you all (and my Brit coin collecting friend Christian!) to helping me ID the coin. You guys ROCK! :bowdown:

I found what I believe to be the exact coin described as a Constantius II AE Centenionalis. 351-355 AD. D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG.

Below is what I believe to be the same coin but in much better shape. I am so excited at this find I cannot tell you! :excited: It was found in in a Boy Scout camp in Central Florida! I will be posting the complete story in the Eye Popping section tomorrow.

Attachments

• _alexandria_RIC_VIII_072.jpg
    _alexandria_RIC_VIII_072.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 294
I don't believe $40-60 is right for the grade of the coin you posted. If it is, I have a few to unload right now. :)
-- Tom

:oops: Yes I was optimistic in my novice appraisal and didn't take condition into account. I didn't see any being sold with prices in that condition so I went with those that did and they were in that range.

I don't believe $40-60 is right for the grade of the coin you posted. If it is, I have a few to unload right now. :)
-- Tom

:oops: Yes I was optimistic in my novice appraisal and didn't take condition into account. I didn't see any being sold with prices in that condition so I went with those that did and they were in that range. What would be a safe estimate?

Great find. Are you thinking some kid lost it or an actual ancient trader?

I think that when the Romans conquered different countries they went to Disney World on vacation! ;) No, I think a kid or adult probably lost it some years back otherwise Ponce de Leon was not the first to Florida and we need to re-write the history books. :roll:

I think roman coins have been found on the east coast of the US, and the theory I agree with is that hey were scooped up in Europe in rocks/gravel used for ships ballast. If the ship wrecked close enough to shore in the US, the could wash up on the beach. Some coins, however, were probably more recent losses.

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom