learning to find deep coins

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I have been using my Garrett AT Pro for about 1 year now and am very comfortable with it. I can go to a very trashy park and find many coins at about 2-6" deep.

Now I wish to learn to increase my depth. Is it just a matter of digging fainter signals with my head phone or are there some other techniques that I should use for deeper coin targets?

Thanks for any help.

You should watch some of the Hoover boy videos. Kurt has many live deep signal digs. You gotta listen for those feint iffy deep signals. I say if it's deep dig it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much your right on, with the VCO a better set of headphones will help you hear the fainter signals, and a test garden will help get you on track identifying what deep iffy signals sounds like.

Nothing will beat learning deep silver sounds like digging deep silver. The problem is you have to dig it all to find the silver, then you wish you'd paid better attention prior to digging. This is where a test garden can speed up the learning curve.

I have been using my Garrett AT Pro for about 1 year now and am very comfortable with it. I can go to a very trashy park and find many coins at about 2-6" deep.

Now I wish to learn to increase my depth. Is it just a matter of digging fainter signals with my head phone or are there some other techniques that I should use for deeper coin targets?

Thanks for any help.

First off...are you running MAX Sensitivity?
Also any discrimination will lower depth.

Always use headphones...you can pickup those whisper signals.

Ive found plenty of deep finds with the standard AT coil. Recently Ive purchased a NEL Thunder Coil and it works very well...greater depth and target separation.

Try going very slow with your swings and as close to the ground as possible. I literally drag my coil over the ground.

Finally...do your research and get on older properties. Keep in mind there are deeper coins...but I find most of my older finds between 3-6 inches on average.

Listening for the high tones rarely steers me wrong.
Sometimes nothing has come up on the VDI, but that high tone tells you something. It won't be a loud high tone, but it is there.

A picked off a Barber dime this year that was an honest 10 inches deep. It might have even been on edge. The high tone was faint and the VDI showed nothing. I pin pointed and was off the depth gage. I might not have dug this one if I heard some iron grunt.

Depends how deep you want to go, dime size coins to 8" is realistic and found often enough, finding larger coins at 10"-12" + is a hard game with a lot of variables.

What Big T said about the coin garden and read the last 2 sentences of MetalManiacs response SEVERAL times. LOCATION is EVERYTHING.
You will do fine. Lots of people on the forums with great advice because they've gone through what you're going through. With time you will be able to dig deeper coins at will,not by sheer accident,which is what I am personally trying to improve on year by year. One things for sure. A really deep coin usually acts differently than a coin at a few inches or even 5-6 inches. The soil and other metallic items nearby can cause skewed readings and sounds.
Stick with it and you'll be happy as hell that you did!

If you can handle the chatter you should run it in pro zero max sensitivity, and yes, deeper signals will be easier to detect with a larger coil. AT Pro is a noisy machine so you will do better in an area with less iron. You can get good depth with the AT Pro for sure though.

You have to swing slow if you want to find the deep coins in parks. To fast of a swing speed and you won't here them. Listen for the deep whisper sounds and dig. You might have to dig a lot of trash until you get used to what you are hearing but that's part of the learning process.

All good info here. I owned the pro for about a year and dug plenty of 8in pennies and dimes. That is about max with the machine. Gotta be in all pro mode and wide open. If it pinpoints directly over the high tone there is a better chance that it will be silver. If it pinpoints to the side of the high tone it might be iron. U will dig a lot of nails. Takes practice. Good luck

Slow as mentioned and wide open. But, if you're on a place with deeps, I go forward very slow. I take about 3 sweeps to go one coil length. Slow but pays off. If you take a 12" forward path, I think you miss a sweet spot on the coil. If real deep they need to be in the middle of the coil. Thus, slow forward. When you get a decent signal, you can go ahead and isolate the item and circle it from all sides. Really deep Indians on the Pro will ID in a wide range. Most everything else ID's close. Good luck.

I will dig any deep signal that I am 100% sure is NOT iron. I have found some nice deep silver that may have been iron. They were iffy signals. Every deep signal that I have dug in the past that I was 100% sure was iron, was in fact iron. Some of the iffy signals I was not sure with all certainty was iron, did turn out to be iron. Some of them did not.

The catch-22 here is that deep coins will eventually appear to be iron because the strength of the induced field in the target gets weaker the deeper it is, and eventually the strength of that signal will be equal to or less than the strength of the ground matrix.

You say you are detecting a very trashy park. So are you using the small coil or the stock coil? My air tests with stock coil, all below nickels rejected, indicate it maxes out at sens 7 of 8 at 10" dime, 11" quarter in STD mode, with high tone. Them I switch to PRO mode & at 11" the quarter is going back & forth between high & mid tones, perhaps suggesting less accurate IDs at max depth.

Then I try the small coil, & "depth" in air test drops 3" with high disc, but only 1" with disc at zero for both coils. So I understand small coil users setting disc to zero

It seems unfair for people to call it a noisy detector when they use PRO 0 at max sens. & have iron ID on. It's only doing what it was told to do.

When I put it in coins program with stock coil and sens 7 of 8 & iron audio off, it was one of the quietest detectors I've ever used. Got a 7" deep dime that IDed as dime on every pass (80-85). Then got a several inch deep quarter that was very tilted. Then got a shallow nickel with the correct 52-53 ID. Then I switched on iron audio & learned the nickel had been surrounded by 5 pieces of iron!

So, just wanted to say it can be very quiet, give perfect IDs & go deep w/stock coil that separates better than most would expect. PRO zero disc at max sensitivity could be best for some users at some locations, but don't think it's right for all users everywhere.

There's a video on You Tube of a man using stock coil on a quarter planted 10.5" deep. He's using stock coil STD mode. Sounds like surface coin. Best wishes, George (MN)

Listening for the high tones rarely steers me wrong.
Sometimes nothing has come up on the VDI, but that high tone tells you something. It won't be a loud high tone, but it is there.

A picked off a Barber dime this year that was an honest 10 inches deep. It might have even been on edge. The high tone was faint and the VDI showed nothing. I pin pointed and was off the depth gage. I might not have dug this one if I heard some iron grunt.

Yep! X2 here...super important! Vid shows nothing, yet there is a tiny little audio ping deep..This happens up here on the beaches all the time, so a guy learns to trust their ears.......Good on ya Dave!
Mud

Back
Top Bottom