Perfect Valentine's Couple

NectarDetector

Forum Supporter
I've had my eye on an old picnic area for awhile now. It was used for 100 years or so, and I had read some old first hand accounts in historical records that the place was fairly popular around the early 1900s. Since my other detecting plans fell through I decided to free style and drive over there to see if the area had any old silvers left.

I got to detect about 3 hours, and was really enjoying the surroundings of being at such an old spot. I was finding the usual detecting junk here and there, and some clad along with it, but after about an hour and half I was starting to think that maybe someone had detected there in the past because silver coins had so far been elusive there.

I moved over to an area that I assumed might be used as a parking area where they might park on the grass. I found a couple clad quarters and a few pennies so I decided to slow down a bit more in that area when I got a nice sounding signal that stayed in the 44 to 49 conductive range on the etrac that was fairly deep.

I dug down 7 inches (the length of my shovel blade) and popped out the plug and felt around in the hole with my pinpointer and realized the target was in the bottom side of the plug, so I popped a chunk of dirt out of the side and laid it next to the hole when I saw the edge of a dime and could instantly tell it was silver and thought I might have a silver Rosie dime.

Imagine my surprise when I realized it was a Barber dime...a 1906-O mintmark. I was stoked! Only the 2nd Barber I've ever dug, so I was super happy. I checked the hole with my propointer, and realized that there was another target a little deeper, so I dug down another couple of inches and again put the dirt next to the plug, and saw another silver coin laying there.

I quickly grabbed it and saw that it too was a Barber dime! 2 Barbers in the same plug, and this one was even older being a 1904-S Barber! I was mindblown! I later learned that only 800K 1904s Barbers were ever minted!

Needless to say, I was doing the happy dance and remembered why I named my E-Trac 'Elation' because since I got it in October, it has found 3 Barber dimes! The only Barbers I've found in the last 5 years...:)

A new location, Me and The E and ya get what ya see....lol

CropBARBS.jpg

Thanks for reading my book... had to tell someone!

That is awesome!
Great job sniffing those out, show us your "s"
I found a Barber dime this fall which also happened to be a 1904 s :D

Attachments

• 9-24-15 1904s Barber dime.jpg
    9-24-15 1904s Barber dime.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 867
  • 9-24-15 1904s Barber rev.jpg
    9-24-15 1904s Barber rev.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 864
That's quite a pair! Congrats on the key date. Very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Appreciate the comments everyone...hope you guys get a couple of your own soon...

Sweet coin Matt! Thanks for showing us your 04-S!

BARBs.jpg

Here's mine, haven't even washed it off yet lol

Back
Top Bottom