1787 Fugio large cent found

bigbeardboy

I found this coin metal detecting a field. Am currently soaking it in water any other cleaning advice would be appreciated.

Zac

Attachments

• PC170024.jpg
    PC170024.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,412
  • PC170025.jpg
    PC170025.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,377
Congratulations

That coin is on a lot of bucket lists including mine. As for cleaning it, don't. I suppose water wont hurt it, as it's been underground for some time. As to any other method, you will degrade it further. What detail you see now will be gone once it cleaned.

It could well be worth having a professional look at it. He may advise having it professionally cleaned. If it was me I might pay the cost just so that when I took it out once a week to admire my find, it would look as nice as it can ! How I'd love to find one of those !!!

That is definitely something I would think about getting graded and slabbed. PCGS or maybe ANACS (so it doesn't come back in a body bag from PCGS). Definitely don't do anything to it and take it to a pro. You can also try signing up to the PCGS message forums for some guidance. Lot's of good folks there with a lot of information. Awesome freaking find!

In case you didn't get the hint ...... they really really don't think you should clean it. In that case its time to say ......... looks good like it is!! I would soak only a day or two in water.

it looks like there is still a lot of "meat" left on that coin , the trouble with fugios is there seems to be much inconsistency in the metal probably due to composition impurities . this can cause them to be tricky to clean well. its very doubtful any of the coin grading places will attempt cleaning this and even more doubtful they will do a decent job , I 've seen many come back with far less detail.

Young man! Consider this a life learning experience you'll never forget. A bummer but rest assured, we've all been there and done that. Wisdom and PATIENCE Comes with age and experience. Mine? Well, not the only one but I bought two muskets for $50. One flintlock and one percussion. I knew what they were (revolutionary and civil war era) but did not research them and took them to a gun show and sold them both for $1k - money I needed to purchase a truck. I imagine the dealer that bought them got a lot more.

Patience, patience, patience.

Young man! Consider this a life learning experience you'll never forget. A bummer but rest assured, we've all been there and done that. Wisdom and PATIENCE Comes with age and experience. Mine? Well, not the only one but I bought two muskets for $50. One flintlock and one percussion. I knew what they were (revolutionary and civil war era) but did not research them and took them to a gun show and sold them both for $1k - money I needed to purchase a truck. I imagine the dealer that bought them got a lot more.

Patience, patience, patience.

Thank you, I will never make the same mistake again. Although I am still a bit confused on what to do when a coin like this pops out of the ground(if it ever does) do i let it dry out, soak it in water or oil water or oil ect. There is so much conflicting information out there.

Back
Top Bottom