Trying to decide..

Chris J

Elite Member
ok, right to the chase...

I have the bug...we all know it.. I use a Fisher F2 and love it, but am itching for an upgrade.

The At Pro looks mighty inviting, while if I stay with the Fisher line, which I like, should I consider the F5 or maybe go up another to the F70? The F75/F75SE are a bit too expensive for my current bug upgrade.

Leaning to the At Pro..

Suggestions that might help in this quandary?

Much appreciated! :D

I am very PRO.... AT Pro. lol.... I had a fun hunt today with mine at an old deserted Trailer park. I found some wheats, a merc. an old Boy Scout pocket knife ( In great shape) and some clad. Also did some Indian arrowhead hunting and even found a small piece of ceremonial pottery shard to add to my collection of.... 'junk". I was in water also, so the AT Pro is just right for me. Land and water use and it fit my pocket book. All around good machine. But.... see what others suggest. Good luck!

If you like the Fisher, then a Fisher or Teknetics is the logical upgrade. It'd be a 20 minute learning curve with either brand, they're basically all the same. You could step up to a F70/F75, T2 or Omega if you can't swing the $ for a F75 LTD or T2 SE...and you can get good deals on a used units.

I moved up to the F70 and am thrilled with the results so far.
All the language I learned transferred, plus there is more to learn so I will not get bored soon.
Not to mention the zillion more settings available to play around with so I am in heaven.
The unit with the standard coil dwells at a deeper region than the F2, overall, add in the F75 11" DD coil and you won't believe how deep you can get.

I have gone 8-10" deep and found targets there, and found silver and gold with the standard coil and tons of clad, too at a large range of depths, even in areas I cleaned up pretty good in the past.
With the 11" DD mounted, well, in my short time with it I found old coins at great depths, targets past one foot deep and a slew of other great things.

Every time I go out with it I am surprised and thrilled.
If you like and understand the Fisher units and language I can tell you that staying in the line will be a smart and productive thing to do.
For me it was, and I am just starting this journey.

My F70 log...
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=173474

Digger27 thanks for the tips. I am looking at the two options now and trying to wrap my head around them. Either are a pretty big purchase for me but I am wanting to make the move up and trying to do my research. Thanks for the link to your finds.

Is the F70 like the other fishers and the coil can be used in water as long as the box isn't submerged? I like the idea of the AT Pro being able to go IN the water as well as a land machine.

Thanks again!

:D

Hey there. As mentioned throughout some other posts, KellyCo has a feature to compare detector features side-by-side. Very useful tool. GL and HH. Matt

Digger27 thanks for the tips. I am looking at the two options now and trying to wrap my head around them. Either are a pretty big purchase for me but I am wanting to make the move up and trying to do my research. Thanks for the link to your finds.

Is the F70 like the other fishers and the coil can be used in water as long as the box isn't submerged? I like the idea of the AT Pro being able to go IN the water as well as a land machine.

Thanks again!

:D

Will water hunting be part of what you plan to do ? if the answer is a definite yes, then your decision is obvious.

Yes F70 coils would be water proof (as are most all these days)

I wouldn't discount the Omega that Captain Silver suggested, I own AT Pro, F75, and Omega, and 95% (or more) of the time Omega is my go to. Omega is lighter and has much better target separation than AT Pro (both with stock coils) F75 deeper than both, but extra sensitivity, and depth come at the cost of more noise.

Still comes down to what you want to do with it, and if that includes water hunting then you got one choice. AT Pro is a good machine, capable, and very popular. For trashy areas I would def. get the 5 X 8 coil for it, many including myself rarely take that coil off.

Back
Top Bottom