Opinions On A Park Detector, Please

Smudge

I'm looking for a new detector for use in parks and tot lots only, where ferrous and non-ferrous trash is abundant.

I am not looking for a deep seeker, 6" is plenty. Accurate target ID and tones would be a plus.

But critically important to me is the recovery speed. It needs to be better than average. I typically use small coils to help with this.

Concentric coils are preferred over DD coils in my soil.

I have a few ideas, but I would value the opinion of other hunters who may have a suggestion I haven't considered.

Thanks!

Maybe a new pinpointer would be of more help to you? The new Whites TRX will go down to 4.5 inches.. should be a bit of help for recovery speed.

My Whites Coinmaster GT comes with a 9" spider that works well and with the sensitivity turned up will go deep.. but it can be turned down as well. 9 tones, in discriminate mode, VCO and single tone in ALL metal mode, VDI and icons, auto ground balancing, and more..
I just ordered the 4x6 DD shooter coil so I can work the trash parks, should have it Friday and if some snow melts try it on the weekend.

Take a look at all the options you get with the CM GT, I think you will find it a good value.

I've had real good results with the F2 and the 4" coil at our park, love the thing and it didn't break the bank.

Eurotek Pro very fast recovery and plenty of coil options...and very easy on the wallet . Matter of fact talk to skiwhiz a forum sponsor I spoke with him this morning about a eurotek pro and he has the best price out there for forum members...I bought one from a forum sponsor a couple weeks ago and skiwhiz beat his price by a bunch!

I would also have to go with the Whites Coinmaster GT and the 4X6 DD Shooter coil for trashy areas. My primary machine is the Whites Prizm 6T which is basically the same machine as the GT with a couple of exceptions. I have had 20+ metal detectors and I have been detecting for way over 20 years. I have gone back to Whites detectors and specifically the 6T because of all the detectors I have used it seems to fit my style the best and gives me excellent performance. I hunt mostly parks, playgrounds, ballfields, etc. with a few residences and curb strips mixed in. I have several coils for the 6T and never really feel outgunned even though I hunt with guys that have much more expensive machines. The 4X6 DD Shooter coil allows you to get excellent separation of targets and has found several silver coins for me in trashy parks that I know I could not have found using bigger coils. For the money, it would be very hard to find a detector that has as many great features as the GT has. Just my 2 zincolns but I don't think you would be disappointed in it.
Pesc

Thanks very kindly for the responses so far. Please keep them coming.

As far as how much I'm willing to spend, I'd say $600 is absolutely top of the mark. I would like to spend less.

I had to walk away from Teknetics detectors because they were constantly crippled by EMI in my area, even when I turned down the sensitivity. There are simply too many places I cannot take them and I am beginning to wonder if they are not propertly insulated for my area.

I hear many good things about the White's detectors but I am a bit concerned about using any DD coil as they tend to love bottlecaps and the areas I hunt are infested with them.

I know the AT Pro with its iron audio is suppsed to be a good answer, but I tried an ATP once and did not care for the ergonomics of it at all, but I need to give it a second look.

As far as how much I'm willing to spend, I'd say $600 is absolutely top of the mark. I would like to spend less.

I had to walk away from Teknetics detectors because they were constantly crippled by EMI in my area, even when I turned down the sensitivity. There are simply too many places I cannot take them and I am beginning to wonder if they are not propertly insulated for my area.

I hear many good things about the White's detectors but I am a bit concerned about using any DD coil as they tend to love bottlecaps and the areas I hunt are infested with them.

I know the AT Pro with its iron audio is suppsed to be a good answer, but I tried an ATP once and did not care for the ergonomics of it at all, but I need to give it a second look.

If you had EMI problems with the Teknetics, I imagine you'd run into the same with the AT Pro anyhow. Good luck with your decision.

DD does not find bottle caps, it finds targets! :grin: If all you got is bottle caps then that is what it finds.. You and probably everyone who has not read this, should. I just found this site and this article was very helpful.
http://metaldetectingworld.com/metal_detector_search_coils.shtml
It is 20 pages but wow very helpful

If you can run over to Tampa, go see Phil he can show you a GT with a shooter as well as all the others that were suggested http://www.myersdepot.com/
He is one of this forums sponsors as well. Great guy and good prices, just got a TRX and the shooter coil from him.

Thanks for the advice Doug, but I have to disagree with you on one point.

Yes, DD coils find targets, no doubt. But DD coils are notorious for identifying bottlecaps as good targets.

I have used Tesoro metal detectors in the past with concentric coils and with discrimination set just above "IRON," they identify bottlecaps with a scratchy, uneven tone 80% of the time. Some caps, like Corona's, defy discrimination. But I'll happily take 80%.

Come to think of it, Doug, you may have just helped me make my decision.

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice Doug, but I have to disagree with you on one point.

Yes, DD coils find targets, no doubt. But DD coils are notorious for identifying bottlecaps as good targets.

I have used Tesoro metal detectors in the past with concentric coils and with discrimination set just above "IRON," they identify bottlecaps with a scratchy, uneven tone 80% of the time. Some caps, like Corona's, defy discrimination. But I'll happily take 80%.

Come to think of it, Doug, you may have just helped me make my decision.

Thanks!
Glad I could be of help!

if you can deal without tid the golden umax is probably the best multitone park cruiser

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

The Tesoro Compare with 8" coil might be something to consider or any other Tesoro for that matter. If you do decide on a Tesoro I would be happy to get you into one.

From what I understand the problem is EMI and that you want a detector that is good for trash and has the option to have various coils.
My answer to you is whites.... Coin master will work or if you want to spend more than the mx5 should be killer... I have one incoming and can't say nothing on it for now but if it similar to the mxt I used to own it will be a new personal favorite.

Delta 4000
Eurotek Pro
F2
Compadre

All great park hunting machines at VERY low prices & can run with machines that are much more expensive .........

I'm looking for a new detector for use in parks and tot lots only, where ferrous and non-ferrous trash is abundant.

I am not looking for a deep seeker, 6" is plenty. Accurate target ID and tones would be a plus.

But critically important to me is the recovery speed. It needs to be better than average. I typically use small coils to help with this.

Concentric coils are preferred over DD coils in my soil.

I have a few ideas, but I would value the opinion of other hunters who may have a suggestion I haven't considered.

Thanks!

Why, it's like looking in a mirror when I read this post.
Rapid recovery and superior target separation are the two most important features I have always looked for and demand when considering any detector, and smaller coils, well, there is no bigger fan of those little things and what they can do than me...including the concentric vs. DD coils thing.

Being a jewelry hunter and hunting in public parks that are usually not all that old that 6" and below region is where I usually dwell, and I have done extremely good for myself in the past few years using the detectors I selected.

All kinds of great units out there but I can only speak about those that I have actual experience with.
I can tell you that the F series from Fisher and the Tesoro line will fit right within your parameters nicely, and the description of how you would like your detectors to work describes all of them to a T.

Back
Top Bottom