new Detector

fatjawbreaker

So i finally feel like i have read and looked around the forum enough to make a descent decision on a new detector. I decided on the Fisher F2 finally..and then the trouble starts..lol I was looking on Kelleyco and see they have Four different setups for the F2.. One with the standard 8" search coil. Another with the 11" DD coil. A third with the 4" and 8" coil.. and finally an option for one with a 4", 8" and 10" coil... i am a noob obviously and i'll be searching in non sandy Clay , rocky dirt in the mountains of TN and i cant decide between the standard setup with the 8" coil at $199, or the 11" DD setup for $299.. is it really worth the extra hundred bucks? Or should I just get the Standard setup since i'm a noob and wouldnt know the difference anyway..lol
Anyway, sorry for the long post and thanks for any help and opinion you give..

Contact Bart@BigBoyHobbies, he is a sponsor here and can help you with any questions on most metal detector's. He can also give you a good $ on a new detector. Look at the top right corner of the page an click on sponsors. Hope this helps.

I bought the 3 coil package (4, 8 and 10) from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies.

I use all 3 coils for different searches - 8 for general detecting and 10 to get the deep stuff and the 4 for trashier sites

If I were you I would give Jeff a call at Quality Metal Detectors. His prices can't be beat. He is a sponsor on this site. Top right corner.

The 4-8-10" coil package is one of the greatest values on the market today.
I use the 4" sniper most of the time because I tend to spend a lot of time hunting very trashy sites looking for jewelry, the 10" was used in wide open areas and places I wanted a little more depth.
I started with the 4 and 8" coil package, found a ton with that 8" coil but after I got the 10" coil I all but retired my 8"...however many still love to use that one.
The 4" coil is way easier to start off with and use and learn the F2 on so no matter what you want to get that coil as soon as you can.

In heavy mineralization the 11" DD might get you a bit deeper, but the soil in Tenn seems to run the gamut from hot to mild so it might be a non issue and over spending depending on the conditions in your areas.
Since the F2 is a coinshooter supreme if you do enough park and public area hunting you will easily find enough money in clad and jewelry to pay for the upgraded 11" coil in the near future if you think you might benefit from it, but I used only concentric coils in way worse soil than you will probably ever come across and did fine and found a ton.

thanks for all the replies guys...well i made up my mind thanks to you all and i'm going with the F2 with all three coils..... Digger, I'm sure i'll do some parks and public area's but my main interest is the area just around my home.. back in the 1800's and up to around the 1930's there was an old train station on the creek by my house.. I've always wondered what might be in the dirt there.. There was a blacksmith set up there as well so I'll find TONS of metal I suppose.. anyway, Im excited and so is my father... It will be interesting to see what happens.. Thanks for the help

When I had an F2, I bought the 11" DD and realized it was the best coil they make for it IMO. I suggest to anyone, the importance of that coil as it seam to make the unit perform like a much more expensive unit!

There's a f2 with all 4 coils on feebay buy it now price$250 it's in my area would have bought it but already have one. Just a tip

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

In heavy mineralization the 11" DD might get you a bit deeper, but the soil in Tenn seems to run the gamut from hot to mild so it might be a non issue and over spending depending on the conditions in your areas.
Since the F2 is a coinshooter supreme if you do enough park and public area hunting you will easily find enough money in clad and jewelry to pay for the upgraded 11" coil in the near future if you think you might benefit from it, but I used only concentric coils in way worse soil than you will probably ever come across and did fine and found a ton.

The advantage I see in the DD over the 10" concentric coil is not potential added depth but the shape of the field which, in a side to side sweep, should better cover the area due to it not having a cone shaped magnetic field. Additionally, pinpointing is easier due to the narrower side to side field. Am I off base?

BTW, +1 on the DD. I LOVE mine, as well as the 4" coil!

The advantage I see in the DD over the 10" concentric coil is not potential added depth but the shape of the field which, in a side to side sweep, should better cover the area due to it not having a cone shaped magnetic field. Additionally, pinpointing is easier due to the narrower side to side field. Am I off base?

BTW, +1 on the DD. I LOVE mine, as well as the 4" coil!

When hunting large and wide open areas there is nothing better than using a big DD coil to cover them quickly and efficiently.
When I do I never get the feeling I am missing much because of that long scanning field and there are a few great targets I have found in these large areas I am convinced would still be laying in the dirt if I wasn't using the DD coil at the time.
I might indeed be missing some targets if I am not careful, but I never get the feeling that I am and that is important because the "what ifs" will kill me if I think that way.

Hunting in heavy trash, and I tend to aim for sites with unbelievable amounts of trash targets when looking for jewelry, I still prefer the small sniper concentrics because of that slightly smaller scanning field vs even a DD sniper.
I think target separation for me and the way I hunt seems a bit better because even with the small sniper DD's you still have a slightly larger chance of having more than one target under the coil at the same time.
I have some experience with a sniper DD and it works well, but I have more experience using the concentric snipers at this point so I am used to them.

As far as pinpointing when I first used the 10X12 DD coil on my Vaq I couldn't find the target at all, but after a few hunts and watching one video I learned some techniques that solved that problem and now I can pinpoint just as quickly and precisely with any DD coil as I can with a concentric so in that area for me now they are equal.

The only reason I am not a 100% died in the wool fan of DD coils 100% of the time is the disc on those are a bit more sloppy than the concentrics and they have that high tone pop top problem where they mimic dimes and quarters so well.
I have figured out ways of using them to tell the difference like rimming these problem targets that help immensely, but on my detectors the concentrics are just a little faster and a bit more accurate at giving me info about these hated types of trash.

I guess it wouldn't be a big issue in most sites that I hunt but there are a few very old park sites where there is a huge amount of these things, almost like a blanket of pop tops at all levels from shallow to deep that are a big drag for me to hunt using DD coils because they slow me down so much in these rarer but existing problem sites.

I have a new detector, the F70, and an 11" DD coil that goes super deep along with an extremely deep 5" DD and I plan on using these the bulk of the time this year so maybe my opinion will change a bit before the season comes to an end.

Great info. Thanks, DIGGER27! I hope the the OP is finding this discussion as helpful as I find it. :)

I am Diggum... I learned more in that one post than you would believe..lol I appreciate the post DIGGER27... keep it coming..

ugadigger, I bought that F2 you pointed out on fleebay.. So a big thanks to you.. it will be here early next week and I cant wait..

TBH with you guys, Im kinda shocked at how helpful everyone is here.. Never been on a forum like this..

I would get

A Euro tek Pro with 11dd for 299.00, has some nice features including iron volume control with mid grade capabilities , Teknetics & Fisher both 5 year warranties, same company 1st Texas, also euro tek pro coils are interchangeable in the gamma delta Greek series, another words if you upgrade , your not going to loose money buying new coils , if you stay in the Greek series chain, happy hunting Earl

A Euro tek Pro with 11dd for 299.00, has some nice features including iron volume control with mid grade capabilities , Teknetics & Fisher both 5 year warranties, same company 1st Texas, also euro tek pro coils are interchangeable in the gamma delta Greek series, another words if you upgrade , your not going to loose money buying new coils , if you stay in the Greek series chain, happy hunting Earl

+1

Eurotek Pro is like the new F2, same mother company, newest released beginner detector. Definitely want the 11" DD coil for your main coil.

I bought the 3 coil package (4, 8 and 10) from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies.

I use all 3 coils for different searches - 8 for general detecting and 10 to get the deep stuff and the 4 for trashier sites

Have to agree with the F2 3 coil package as the way to go & having the pleasure in purchasing off one of the most helpful guys (Bart) in this hobby couldnt get any better .........;)

The 11" DD is not more important than a Garrett ProPointer pinpointer. PP is so important to my hunting, that If I had to do it all over again on a $300 budget I would get an 8" Compadre and the PP. Easiest decision in the world.
Could substitute the base Eurotek at about $159 if you just have to have that VDI.

well, I got my Detector on Saturday and spent a little time playing with it.. this thing is very cool. I used the DD coil and found all kinds of stuff in my yard i never knew could be there..lol after some practice and a little poking around at a neighbors house, I found a coin and i have no idea what it is.. The guy passed away a few years ago here in the states after spending most of his life in Brussels..the reason i say that is this coin has to be foreign.. anyway. I'll post it up in a proper thread and hope you guys can help identify it.. I love this already.;)

Thanks for all the help
Jaws

Back
Top Bottom