I'm new here!! looking to buy...best places in Kentucky..?!

grogmug

I've always been interested in archaeology and finding older things such as coins, relics, anything with historic value. I'm 21 and go to University of Louisville in Kentucky. I've found several old churches around Kentucky as well as houses built in the late 1800's, do you think these places would be good for metal detecting? I'm also looking at buying my first metal detector and have no idea what to go for. Any suggestions on starting out would be great, as well as any ideas on where to buy a detector somewhere on the internet.
I'm looking forward to detecting and have already found a 1902 postcard with stamp as well as a 1948 steering wheel from a very rare car in one of the houses. Now I want to go even deeper and find more rare OLD items!!
Thank-you,
Justin

Welcome Grogmug{ Hmmm} Is that what it sounds like [like a drink]
Well any way, you need to get up with Tony on this board.
http://tcmetaldetectors.com
He is a big help with a lot of info, and he can sell you one at a good a price as anyone. HH

I have found my first 300-year-old coin in the church, so they are definately a good place to start. Make sure you get permission to detect there though.
Also, visit my website for information on how to get started, where to hunt, what detector to choose. You can also contact me, and I can recommend some detector for you.
http://coindetector.com/main.php

What kind of coin was it? Where did u find it at the church? Where you on the outside of it around the borders of it..or inside on the interior of it somewhere..I just need to know every detail possible to find these little treasures.

I was still living in Russia at the time. A small village nearby had a 400 year old church, destroyed in the early 20's by the communists. There was a water well nearby. I was using a self made detector, probably little better than the modern bounty hunter. I was searching inside a church, when suddenly, I got a signal on the floor (the floor was really just sand ground). It was a common Russian coin of Peter the Great, dated 1700's. Later I found more coins around the church, and a few more by the well, all 200-300 years old. This really inspired me and my father to take up metal detecting more seriously. A few years later we purchased White's XLT, and I can't even tell you how much stuff we had found with it.

Back
Top Bottom