"What Are You Looking For?"

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
...find time capsules.

Think about it. We go out to swing our gizmo machines to search for the time capsules people simply lost and became buried over time. A cache is a time capsule, and when it all comes down it, each and every thing we dig up, is a time capsule in it's own way. It is hard to admit that a pull tab is one, but what type of a pull tab is it?

A 1997 clad dime being lost had the history surrounding it. An 1877 Seated dime found in a forest tear-out, next to an old fair grounds and kept safe until the woods were removed, is a time capsule. Those are two extremes, I admit, but each time we go and detect and dig, it is a time capsule of some kind that we look for. I am not a relic hunter by choice, yet I expect that the relic hunters will certainly agree with the time capsule mentality.

Folks many times asks why I go and walk in circles with a metal detector. I myself, also used to think metal detecting was a bit of nonsense too, before I caught the bug.

it's really no harder to explain to a non detector as to why we detect, than to say we are looking for time capsules. It would be worth all of the odd looks gotten back after that stock answer with "time capsules." It is true though, unless you are a gold nugget seeker or something.

Put a slightly different way "I am looking for history".
I have learned so much more about olden times on this forum, and from this hobby than any history book:D

Agreed! Thats the Thrill! Tracking down Humans long gone through the fog of Time!

I like seeing a big old Oak tree in an old forest, as you walk toward it, you know there was a guy standing Right HERE at sun-up, on the ESE side about 20yards out with a shotgun shooting a squirrel...and then PING! Right where you knew it would be, Heres the evidence with a rotten old hull base.!..

I really like that..tracking down and studying the evidence of how Humans are drawn to certain terrains and structures more so than others and what they were doing...The pings are like little signal markers of a trail and a Life long gone that we can walk and think about...

My favorite question is: "I wonder how that got there?". Followed by: "I wonder who lost that?".

AGREED! I think about this all the time. My first gold ring had me REALLY thinking about it like this.. how did that story go? how did they figure out they were missing it? how long ago was someone standing here and lost it?? coins and even pulltabs are no different. its kinda hard to explain what it means to imagine where someone WAS to someone who doesnt get it LOL! I was out at an old camp site when this guy with a HEAVY irish accent asked me "find whatchur lookin far??" I said "YEP!" Hoping not to get into a long talk... and he said "Oh.... what ARE ya lookin far?"

Best person to ever ask me what I was doing to date haha even got to meet his dog name "Spruce" (Cant type that in an irish accent..)

Nice thread and comments. I've had a few people asking me what I was looking for, or "Find anything good?" At this point I don't have any good clever answers or great conversations, I have a little bit of shyness about my "a little bit" or "not much yet" answers.

Of course those are usually followed up by "You watch Oak Island, right?"

(I don't)

"I wonder who lost that?".

That's the first thing I think about when I find a 1700's button or shoe buckle. I also consider the fact that the person who lost the item has probably been dead for over 200 years, but their button or buckle still survives to this day. If you look at it that way, it gives you a much better appreciation of the historical significance of what we find...

Back
Top Bottom