Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value?

Old 07-12-2018, 06:13 PM

Default Treasures Abound, Found, Then What???

Okay my detector will be here tomorrow. So, I find stuff. Coins, relics, whatever. Do y'all keep it all as treasure keepsakes, keep the rare stuff, sale rest on eBay. Pawn shop as scrap for cash. Let me know. Thanks

Old 07-12-2018, 06:19 PM
Elite Member

So far the trash (pull tabs, can slaw, nails, etc) I throw away. Coins I clean and put through coin star and get an Amazon gift card...other things (jewelry, old coins, pins, buttons, silverware, etc) I keep...right now in ziploc baggies until I decide on a "treasure chest" for my booty.

If/when I find something of actual monetary value (this weekend I think...that's the plan at least) then I'll decide whether to keep it or sell it.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:33 PM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Cart before the horse stuff, here.
First, get the detector.
Second, LEARN the detector.
Then you should start finding treasure.
Finding the greatest treasure, (rare coins, nice precious metal jewelry), could happen right away but more logically might take awhile...it took me two weeks till I found even my first coins, it took months until I found my first wheat cent and longer till I dug my first silver coin.
Gold and silver jewelry was a long time coming too but I was in no hurry and eventually those totals started to rise...but that took time.

Some keep everything they have ever found, many sell a lot of their treasure because everyone is different.
Have patience, you will figure out what to do with it a all once you actually get out and start finding stuff.

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.

Last edited by DIGGER27; 07-13-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:52 PM

Oh, I know it will take time. I was just curious. I like the Coinstar Amazon gift card idea for regular coins. Still, can't wait...

Old 07-12-2018, 10:37 PM
Elite Member

BTW - dont EVER sell gold or silver to a pawn shop. You might as well give it away for how they are going to rob you.

Ebay is OK but lots of scammers out there. Good condition jewelry has a much bigger sale value than its bullion. broken and damaged jewelry can be sold to PM recyclers for about 90% of spot.

Of course, those are all an academic points because
1 - you dont have any gold or silver yet
2 - I'm a pirate and I bury all my gold and silver. I seriously have every piece I have ever dug, for decades

My Twitter https://twitter.com/TheSilverFiend
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/detecting_silver/

Old 07-13-2018, 03:56 AM
Supporter

Keep everything!

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Old 07-13-2018, 07:51 AM
Elite Member

I get rid of the trash, spend clad, save relics and old coins for display.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:08 AM
Supporter

I have never dug any trash, before. However for my valuables I hire a team of six, 3 to sort my treasures two to travel the world to sell them and one accountant to pay everyone's wages, and pay the IRS my quarterly estimates.

Getting rich on detecting doesn't happen over night, it took me 30 days. You will have plenty time to figure it out.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:30 AM
Elite Member

I recycle aluminum with the weekly pickup. Copper, brass or other metals go in a bucket until I either use it for something around the house or scrap it. Lead is cleaned, sorted by hardness and melted to ingot to be made into bullets or musket ball.

The rest is given to the treasurer. Around here she's known as Beanie. She does research on the interesting finds, boxes the non-valuable goods until she decides what to do with them, packs up the things that need protecting and splits up any jewelry with her brothers and sisters, and occasionally her mother.

I don't remember selling anything but nothing I've found so far was worth more than what I get handing it out to the kids.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Supporter

You can post pics and offer finds For Sale here on the Forum....which is a good thing...You are right to be thinking about the problem of 'finding things' ahead of time to allow your brain to figure out what to do with it...

For Instance, I know for a certainty that some fine morning as I head out metal detecting like normal, I will eyeball a briefcase in the ditch, and it will be stuffed with $100 bills...so yeah I gamed that scenario out ahead of time and know exactly what I will do....

I also know, for a certainty, I will find a stiff washed up on the beach early of a morning...So far I've been within 30' of two of them in the past 7yrs, hunting in the beach and surf in the dark....

Yeah, you gotta prepare mentally for what you will do in these circumstances...You gotta think of this ahead of time and be prepared to rifle a stiffs pockets for a wallet and maybe have the right tools along to snip off a finger to retrieve the gold ring....A guy has to think about these things and get their mind set right for a proper response....Hey, a guy never knows what adventure awaits once he gets out of the house! Detecting! Hell Yeah!
Attached Images

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:03 PM
Elite Member

Getting some great responses so far, but the reality is you will mostly dig garbage. I keep the stuff I like and sell the rest. Silver takes a long time building up to really be worth much, but gold can add up quickly. Try to find a local buyer who will pay a decent percentage on precious metals.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:54 PM

clean up the clad coins, trade them into the bank and buy silver with the proceeds at the end of the year. If you stick with the hobby your stack will be HUGE after some years.

When i first started the hobby I sold some gold i found to finance a new detector. Now I have all the equipment I want and have been stashing all good finds ... unfortunately no more gold yet..

Old 07-13-2018, 05:13 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by BRJ123 View post
... unfortunately no more gold yet..
Thats because you angered the treasure gods by disposing of what they allowed you to find.

My Twitter https://twitter.com/TheSilverFiend
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/detecting_silver/

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Elite Member

The vast majority of what I have found in the past six years has been modern clad coins. I clean them and run them thru the credit union coin machine and convert them into green money. I sometimes spend some of that green money on new detecting toys that I "NEED". Most of it is locked in my gun safe.

I have only ever sold one of the Precious metal items that I have found. it was a diamond ring and I sold it for half the appraised value. That one ring more than paid for my Excaliber II.

As previously stated: Never ever sell anything to a Pawn Shop. They are in the business of buying as low as possible and selling as high as possible.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:24 PM
Supporter

Don't sell to pawn shops. Agreed. Get yourself some small buckets or cans/whatever containers for scrap pieces of brass, copper, and lead. Recycle or trash the aluminum junk. You may find things like little toy cars, a stainless steel fork, Mud-Puppy's bloody snipping tool; you just never know. You'll have to decide what to keep, toss, etc.

I personally have an interesting, but low value collection of smalls, and a slowly growing collection of silvers. Higher value stuff usually goes on the market. Saving up silver and gold is generally a good idea. Cash in when you need to.