Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Old 06-30-2017, 06:58 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Longhair View post
Sweet!
Opening up a barrel channel is a HUGE pain if you don't have the right set of tools for the job. I've got a set of channel rasps that I've had for 40yrs, and I can't imagine doing some of the work I've done without them.

I still haven't convinced myself that I need a chassis for my Axis. It's intended use is as a field piece, so I really don't want to make it any heavier. I've already got enough heavy guns. A Rifle Basix trigger may end up being it's only significant upgrade.

Here is one of my latest projects.

Attachment 389089

Nice!

My go-to nail driver is a Springfield Armory M1a (standard grade), with an ARMS-18 Mount and a Bushnell 3 by 9.

Don't spend the extra cash on a match or super-match model, If you you can shoot, you don't need it.

I reqularly outshot guys with match and super-match grade M1a's at Fort Hood.

They used to have me shoot their rifles to "see if something was wrong"!

Old 06-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Elite Member

I always wanted an M1A, or an M25. Of course I always wanted an FAL too. I might still get one of 'em, because I want a .308 battle rifle to go with my LRR....a Savage FPLE-2A w/Leatherwood M1200 on a Ken Ferrell one piece steel base.
Name:  AlphaRifle01e.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  82.9 KB

The best that you know is the best that you've had.
Slow Down, and you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.

Last edited by Longhair; 07-08-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Elite Member

After a 12 month wait, I finally got my suppressor. AAC Element II is super quiet with CCI standard ammo. It remains subsonic and no noticeable FRP whatsoever.

Did a few other upgrades to the FV-SR.. Installed an Apachee trigger kit (18oz pull), new Harris bipod, and switched out my old Jacaranda colored Boyd's Evo stock for a Forest Camo version. Scope is a Mueller 4.5-14X40mm.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Elite Member

Awesome looking rifle there!

Old 07-07-2017, 07:52 PM
Elite Member

I agree, nice looking rig.
You don't play around it seems when it comes to your guns.

Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Old 07-08-2017, 11:35 AM
Elite Member

Thanks guys! I love firearms and shooting. Its my 2nd favorite hobby right behind metal detecting.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:59 PM
Elite Member

Another thread revival.
Picked up a Ruger Precision Rimfire today. Hoping to get out to shoot it in the next few days.
Pics to follow soon.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:03 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Longhair View post
Another thread revival.
Picked up a Ruger Precision Rimfire today. Hoping to get out to shoot it in the next few days.
Pics to follow soon.
Look forward to your thoughts.

Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Old 07-14-2018, 01:06 PM
Elite Member

Many years ago I was I the market for an accurate bolt action .22 rifle. I had three or four that I was considering.

I happened to be in Savannah Ga to run the trucking company office down there for a few days while my manager of that office was on vacation.

Stopped in a local gun shop and was talking to the owner about .22 rifles. He recommended a new Ruger that had just come on the market. It was the Ruger 77/22. He claimed that with the proper ammo it would stand up with the much higher priced rifles.

So I purchased one and spent a few days visiting every gun shop I could find searching for one box of every different ammo that I could find.

I spent a lot of time at the range just testing ammo to see how it shot out of that particular rifle. I found two brands that the gun liked.

Many a squirrel has visited my and friends dinner table because they exposed their head where I could find it in the scope.

It has been said that only an accurate rifle is interesting. I guess my Ruger could be called Interesting.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Elite Member

I bought a Remington 513 from a friend because he said you couldn't hit anything with it. It had receicer sights and after readjusting them, that was the most accurate rifle that I have ever had. I could outsoot friend who had scopes on their rifles. Using CB caps I had my coiusin convinced that I had a silencer built in. It was quieter than most air rifles but still hit harder than they do. It's only bad point was that as a target rifle it was heavy. I ended up trading it off and now I wish that I hadn't.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:16 PM
Elite Member

I still have my 513T that I bought over 40yrs ago. Globe front sight and rear peep w/adjustable apertures.

I'd probably shoot it more if my peepers were what they once were, but they aren't, and I don't want to scope it. I reworked the trigger to the point where I won't let anyone else shoot it. I have to be careful when I close the bolt, and you don't touch the trigger until you have it pointed at where you want a hole.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:11 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Silversmith45 View post
I bought a Remington 513 from a friend because he said you couldn't hit anything with it. It had receicer sights and after readjusting them, that was the most accurate rifle that I have ever had. I could outsoot friend who had scopes on their rifles. Using CB caps I had my coiusin convinced that I had a silencer built in. It was quieter than most air rifles but still hit harder than they do. It's only bad point was that as a target rifle it was heavy. I ended up trading it off and now I wish that I hadn't.
That is one model I have never held or had.
Read loads on it though.
Seems like a good one.