Got full permission and permit from the Roman museum in Trier Germany

Kolby72

Forum Supporter
Well my time in Germany is coming to an end sadly. I seperated from the Air Force last month and I am headed to San Antonio in 10 days. However thanks to a friend of a friend I got to meet with the head archaologist from Germanys premiere Roman museum. He let me and 4 buddies choose 10 counties that we wanted to hunt. We agreed to turn in everything we find with the assurance that every item will be given back after some pictures are taken and the find is cataloged. He sent our permits to all 10 states. This means I can hunt unmolested in any of the counties I want. I can also hunt the local castles as long as there is no one living in them or there is no over growth. I am not permitted to hunt directly on the castle but on the slope below the castle. This is where all of the good stuff is anyways lol. The permit is good for 3 years so I should be able to find some neat stuff in that time since I will be coming back to visit my german friends from time to time. One of the cities I got permission for is the town of Prum which has been around since 9 A.D. I am going to hunt there tomorrow as long as it is not raining cats and dogs lol! Wish me luck!

Attachments

• IMAG0610.jpg
    IMAG0610.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 541
Well I was pretty pumped about the permit.... But sadly it will have to sit unused. I was walking up the stairs and my dog got under my feet and I tripped jammed my big toe and ripped the toe nail off! Hurts like H E double hockey stick . I can barely walk on it so there is no chance I can hunt steep slopes =( I am going to try and go out on wednesday. Thanks for all of the kind words!

Well I was pretty pumped about the permit.... But sadly it will have to sit unused. I was walking up the stairs and my dog got under my feet and I tripped jammed my big toe and ripped the toe nail off! Hurts like H E double hockey stick . I can barely walk on it so there is no chance I can hunt steep slopes =( I am going to try and go out on wednesday. Thanks for all of the kind words!

Bummer!:(

I think I would have tossed my dog out the window :shock: I'll stick to turtles; silent, no letting them in or out, no baths and they won't ruin one of the best detecting opportunities the MD gods could hand to man. I am very sorry to hear about that injury. The good news is the permit is good for 3 years, you will heal and then be back in action.

Detect enough for all of us, we are there with you in spirit!

Haha I have been out 3 times since then and havent had a ton of luck. There is a a castle about a mile and a half down the road from me and I have always wanted to detect it. I found out who the mayor of the town was and decided I would still ask for his permission to hunt the castle. He was a super cool guy and h said as long as I had the permit we could hunt anywhere we wanted. So me and 2 friends hit the castle for about 2 hours and I can tell you that I have never hunted a place with so much trash. We found lots of junk and only a partial arrowhead. So we piled in the car and headed to the next spot. The city of Prum is very old and has a rich history. We hunted a hill behind the old monestary. We found a ton of .50 cal rounds and one of my friends found their first musketball. Over all not to bad of a hunt. I am going to try and hunt a couple more castles here soon before I have to move to Texas =( I will keep you guys posted!

No the .50 cal rounds are everwhere here in Germany. The spot we were hunting was probably just an enemy position and we strafed it. The bomber crash was about 4 hours from my house.

Kolby that permit is ausgezeichnet, mein Freund! Really do hope you can get in some serious MD time before you fly home -- not that there aren't some nice opportunities in Texas.

Thanks for all the kind words! I have been out about 4 or 5 times since this post.... Havent had much luck sadly my buddy did find a cannonball at one of our honey holes. I will be back in Europe in about 6 months and the permit is good for 3 years so I am not totally bummed...

Back
Top Bottom