1870's house!

Silver Scare

I recently was granted permission to hunt a property where they just demolished a house that was built in the 1870's. Sadly, I didn't know that this house was coming down until AFTER it went down.

The house is now gone, and and the ground is all mixed up and fill was brought in, so it's literally hit or miss out there. I've put in about 6 hours so far, and the only interesting finds thus far have been a couple of old horse shoes and an 1899 Barber Quarter. (Pics to come).

This old property doesn't give up her secrets easily, but I am persistant and patient. Another MDer in town was out there the day the house went down and found a handful of Indian Head pennies, a couple of tokens and a couple of buttons, but no silver.

Great work on the Barber, too bad about the house being demolished.
I'm looking forward to see what else you find, I think the Barber quarter was definately worth the time.

Last week I missed one of my best chances to finally find some 1800's coins when they tore out the old sidewalk in front of one of the oldest houses in my area.
I didn't notice until the cement was drying on the new sidewalk!
It doesn't help that my town doesn't seem to post city work projects anywhere. :iwish:

Too bad on the sidewalk thing. Now that I'm completely obsessed with the hobby, I tend to remember all the places I could have detected had I been interested at the time. Old houses I lived in, old downtown roads that were tore up and replaced, etc. It's bitter sweet for sure.

The Barber was my first...and they say you never forget your first! :)

Back
Top Bottom