1787 Fugio Cent!

ollievon

Elite Member
Was invited to hit a yard in rural Vermont on Sunday; the house was old but the town clearly older, the majority of houses on the main road were early 1800's, the oldest being 1760.

Spent about 1/2 hour in the front yard and decided to head to a quiet corner that was ratty were the grass was not growing, got a hit that fluttered as a dime (2-10 to 4-29), but could not get a full read on it no matter how many times I swung the coil, but it clearly was a constant number below 12 on the Explorer Pro, so I had to dig it.

The target was only 3 inches down so I didn't expect too much, but out popped a round coin about the size of a copper, but caked in dirt. As I gently cleaned the coin, the 13 rings of a Fugio Cent appeared and I was in disbelief! These coins are rarer than rare, so I was beside myself!

The condition is excellent and I'm in search of who to get it professionally cleaned and then graded by PGC, any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_3384.JPG
    IMG_3384.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_3385.JPG
    IMG_3385.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 507
Amazing! And in decent shape, wow! I'll get a 1700s coin one day, until then I'm envious of stuff like this.

Wow that is a stunning example!

That's my all time favorite coin design and one that has eluded me so far. Congrats!

I suggest don't do both. Either clean it or have it graded, the 2 don't mix, cleaned coins are not worth as much to collectors. If you plan on keeping it, you can clean it your self.

if you send it in to be graded it will come back with a grade plus a notation that is has environmental damage. if you clean it and then send it in they'll say it has environmental damage and is cleaned. bottom line....don't clean it.

Wow, I'd never even heard of a Fugio cent before so I had to look it up. Awesome find!!:shock:

Back
Top Bottom