How does permission from renters work?

Dghardyjr

When you get permission from a tenant, who gets first dibs to the finds?

I feel as if asking a tenant could be a grey area. Any rules on this?

I never argue with a "yes". That would include from a renter.

For example, if you rent an apartment, you are totally able to invite your buddy over to watch football, right ? Or invite a date over for dinner, right ? It's just implicit that guests aren't disallowed .

Thus why would them allowing md'ing be any different. You're their "guest". And I don't know of any renter situation where renters are "forbidden to have guests". Assuming of course, it's not mis-use of the property (eg.: damage or whatever) . The renter pays for a certain amount of say-so and privacy and use-of-said premises. Thus .... why would there be a problem with md'ing ? Since, of course, it's benign and harmless.

As for splits or dibs with ANYONE (whether renter or owner), I always just tell them : "You're welcome to anything I find". And I have never had anyone take everything that's found. So for example, I'll show them a few mercs and wheaties, And will give all that to them. And I'll hold out a trade token (or whatever individual item or coin I liked) and say : "I need this one for my collection, can I hold on to this single one ?" And I've never had anyone say "no".

I know if anybody comes to me at the apartments that I do maintenance at I will tell them sorry no metal detecting, but only because I call dibs first lol. Hey I’ve managed to find my first Buffalo nickel here at a complex that is only 20 years old.

Back
Top Bottom