Door knocking help...

ChrisnAmanda1

Elite Member
Went door knocking today and while it wasn't as horrible as I imagined it would be, but I ran into 2 no answers and 1 "someone's already detected it" not one rude or uncomfortable interaction, but no "Yeses" either. Any tips for this type of permission seeking? I'm naturally pretty social so I wasn't to worried about talking to people, even tho it IS a little intimidating the first time lol but it's easy to get oassed... how do you get around the "someone's already detected it..." answer?

First, I would think many people might be somewhat leery about having a stranger come to their door with the Coronavirus pandemic, not to mention you not knowing if someone who answers the door might be infected.

(…..it's hard to maintain "social distancing" when you're face to face at a person's door :lol:)

I plan on getting some permissions myself but I'll likely hold off a while on "in person" asking for now and maybe later on call people I already know on the phone till things get back to normal.

Anyhow, there have been some threads before with good tips on getting permission knocking on doors.

(I'd suggest waiting till things get back to normal first though and just study these for later use)

Here's one example:

What’s easier doorknocking, houses or fields?

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=278568&highlight=doorknocking

Also check this section:

Research and Getting Permission

http://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Also noticed this from the above section:

Mastering Getting Permission to Detect

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=160222

Last edited:
Good point. People out here in Montana dont seem to be as finicky about it tho.. pretty much life as usual. They even included "outdoor activities " in our shelter in place orders....

Went door knocking today and while it wasn't as horrible as I imagined it would be, but I ran into 2 no answers and 1 "someone's already detected it"....

First, I would think many people might be somewhat leery about having a stranger come to their door with the Coronavirus pandemic, not to mention you not knowing if someone who answers the door might be infected.

I'd wait until this pandemic blows over. Hopefully sooner than later.

Yep, I agree with GKL and SW...at this point, I think it’s wise to hold off on seeking permissions through cold-call style door knocking until physical distancing measures for the pandemic are relaxed. Regardless how you may feel about the situation, most people are going to be leery of a stranger coming to their door, and they’ll be predisposed to say “no”. Frankly, they may be more likely to become outright rude - I’m not sure I would be kind to a random person coming to the door to try and sell Girl Scout cookies right now!! It just isn’t advisable to try to be a door to door salesman during a pandemic situation for numerous reasons - and as permission seekers, we are “salesmen”...just asking for permission instead of money.

I was intending to just stick to parks and curbstrips for the meantime anyway, but Ohio is now under a stay at home order from the governor since Monday, so door knocking is officially off the table here. It probably doesn’t apply for you yet, but for others, keep in mind that door knocking for permissions would not be considered a valid exclusion from stay-at-home orders.

...how do you get around the "someone's already detected it..." answer?

All that said, once all this all blows over, they best way I can think of to get around the “someone’s already detected it” response is the “technology changes” tactic. You can try briefly explaining that, “like computers, phones, and other technology, metal detectors have drastically improved in separation and depth especially over just the last couple years. Add in differences in soil conditions and personal technique, and there’s almost always something still left to find!”

If that doesn’t work, then they are likely just making a convenient excuse for their “no” and you probably aren’t going to change their mind no matter what tactic you use. Much easier and more efficient to just thank them for their time, leave a card in case they change their mind or lose something (you have one, right?), and move on to the next one! ;)

They even included "outdoor activities " in our shelter in place orders....

Yep, “outdoor activities” are included in our stay-at-home orders in Ohio, but I personally wouldn’t extend that to mean I was free to go door-to-door seeking permission. Like I said in my previous post, I had intended to stick to curbstrips, parks, and existing permissions for now. But with the Ohio stay-at-home orders issued this past Monday, I even consider curbstrips to be too much of a grey area to bother with, but I know others might disagree. Parks are specifically allowed, so I plan to continue detecting those (I was out yesterday detecting one) when my existing field permissions are too soggy or my time is limited.

I wouldn’t be doing any door knocking at this time. These types of things will not help what is going on. People need to wake up.

I'm guessing right now is not the best time to go knocking...there's a little virus going around in case you've not heard.

In my defense... Montana is just now getting hit by this stupid fear mongering virus stuff. But point taken. Probably have to hold off for now. Sucks. Ready for this virus !!!! to be over.

I have about an 80% success rate. First you must have a professional business card and never leave home without them. If someone says it’s already been hunted I smile and say if they found everything then there should be no problem going over it again but then I chuckle and say very rarely is everything uncovered and politely ask if I can give it a second look. Or at least if I can go over just a portion to see if it’s truly emptied.

Quite often they will have no problem with that.

I take the "it's already been hunted" as a polite no. With that said I do counter with its likely they missed a few things and I would still be interested in detecting the property or parts of it. Don't get discouraged with the no's. If you get one yes for every five no's I take that as a success. As was said with the virus issue now, I would hold off going the door-to-door route till that settles down. Although it's been frowned on by some here I would and have gone the letter writing route to ask permission and ask for a response by text or email. I recommend the letter be hand written not typed on a computer. I think this begs more to the sincerity of your request. My two cents on this.

"Would you mind if I checked to see if anything was missed? I love a good challenge! That's half the fun of the hobby!"

Cheers,

Skippy

I thought of a similar answer: "That's OK, I love a challenge!" Looking back, I have never responded like that. I usually first say "Oh? Did they find anything?" Some of the "It's already been hunted" answers are meant to be a polite No, and they don't want you detecting there. Others are open to you hunting it too. Just gotta ask in your own way I think.

Back
Top Bottom