Strange Reeded Edge Holed Disc - No Idea

KYshooter

Elite Member
I dug this today in an area with several items from the 1920's - 1940's. I have to confess that my heart skipped a beat when I saw it in the hole. I thought I had found a large copper. Later, when I got home and cleaned it, I discovered the reeded edge.

It is roughly half-dollar size.

Any ideas??

img_1905.jpg

img_1906.jpg

img_1907.jpg

Gent's, the moment I saw how thick the disc is, I knew I had seen it as the tightening knob for an Old Tractor sediment and filter bowl, I have one sitting outside on an old Case that I started today. That is One use of that disc for certain.

Gent's, the moment I saw how thick the disc is, I knew I had seen it as the tightening knob for an Old Tractor sediment and filter bowl, I have one sitting outside on an old Case that I started today. That is One use of that disc for certain.

Wouldn't it have to be threaded, to snug the bowl up?

It also looks to have indicator markings on one side, probably used for reference in whatever that adjusted..

<°)))>{

Dang, now I'll have to figure out posting pics here so I can Prove it. Or not.

Remembering back to the old single cylinder vertical Stationary engines had a "Dripper" for the rocker arm lubrication, they Too had a dripper adjustment knob and they had that type and Look to them.

In your pics it looks like some Numbers to the right side of the disc, that may help running those.

Reminds me of the turn knob to adjust furnace air ducts? Though Goldfinger has it nailed if he seen it.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 258
Dang, now I'll have to figure out posting pics here so I can Prove it. Or not.

Remembering back to the old single cylinder vertical Stationary engines had a "Dripper" for the rocker arm lubrication, they Too had a dripper adjustment knob and they had that type and Look to them.

In your pics it looks like some Numbers to the right side of the disc, that may help running those.

I do see what might be a 3 or an 8 on the right side of the first pic.

The hole in the center is the same shape as used on many old radio knobs - went over the shaft of a potentiometer or a pulley assembly that moved the tuner.. The edge of the disc would stick out through a slot, the reeds were for "finger traction" to turn it. With this one being metal it might be for something more heavy duty, mechanical rather than electronic...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom