Over before it started

DiggerMD

Elite Member
Guys looks like my MD career has ended before it got started good. I got caught in the rain yesterday with my "non waterproof" detector and it doesn't seem to be coming back to life. I'll still lurk from time to time to live vicariously through you guys. HH and good Luck!

When read title was thinking you forgot the batteries (don't ask), oh well hope the beeping comes back to the detector.

Maybe another member who has had your experience can offer some advice, but in the meantime I found this online -

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/device-care/troubleshooting/#q3

from the above link -

3. I own an underwater detector and was out hunting but didn’t get my lid on correctly. Now my detector is full of water. What should I do?

Water can be very damaging to any electronics. Salt water can damage a unit in just several days. First, remove the lid and the cover that holds the electronics. The cover can be taken off carefully with a small flat-head screwdriver. Flush the detector completely with water, especially if it has been exposed to salt water. Then dry as much of the unit as you can with a towel.!You can absorb the rest of the moisture by putting the control box in a plastic bag with uncooked rice.

When read title was thinking you forgot the batteries (don't ask), oh well hope the beeping comes back to the detector.

!!!!, now that you mention it.....? Nope I wish, hopefully the rice will act like a Chinese factory reset.

Guys looks like my MD career has ended before it got started good. I got caught in the rain yesterday with my "non waterproof" detector and it doesn't seem to be coming back to life. I'll still lurk from time to time to live vicariously through you guys. HH and good Luck!

Ohhhh nooooooooooo! So sorry to hear that. Maybe it can be repaired, contact the manufacturer

Maybe another member who has had your experience can offer some advice, but in the meantime I found this online -

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/device-care/troubleshooting/#q3

from the above link -

3. I own an underwater detector and was out hunting but didn’t get my lid on correctly. Now my detector is full of water. What should I do?

Water can be very damaging to any electronics. Salt water can damage a unit in just several days. First, remove the lid and the cover that holds the electronics. The cover can be taken off carefully with a small flat-head screwdriver. Flush the detector completely with water, especially if it has been exposed to salt water. Then dry as much of the unit as you can with a towel.!You can absorb the rest of the moisture by putting the control box in a plastic bag with uncooked rice.

Thanks for the link. Yeah I dried it out in front of a fan for almost 24 hours and when I put new batteries in, it would only detect what it was touching, so I stuffed it with rice and put it in a dry area and crossed everything I could. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Thanks again

What type of detector is it, and is it still under warranty? How heavy was the rain? Normally a little bit of rain shouldn't harm the detector. I've been caught out in the rain with the xterra70, which is not waterproof, a few times and it works fine.

What type of detector is it, and is it still under warranty? How heavy was the rain? Normally a little bit of rain shouldn't harm the detector. I've been caught out in the rain with the xterra70, which is not waterproof, a few times and it works fine.

Bounty hunter challenger. It was heavy for a minute or two then steady for the next 5 minutes as I headed for cover. It's new enough to still be under warranty, just don't know how they'll respond to it being wet.

She's gonna pull through

After waking up around 3:30 this morning and pulling out the rice and anticipating putting another batch of rice in I had to test it, and it was air testing out to about 7". I can live with that. I put another batch in just in case, but let the journey continue.

Once you get your detector back in action, find a plastic bag big enough to cover the control box (including the plug) and a rubber band big enough to secure the bag in place, and take them with you every time you go out. This gives you an emergency rain coat for the detector in case of a sudden shower. I used to carry a bread bag that was a good fit for my old Compass, and it saved me more than once.

Once you get your detector back in action, find a plastic bag big enough to cover the control box (including the plug) and a rubber band big enough to secure the bag in place, and take them with you every time you go out. This gives you an emergency rain coat for the detector in case of a sudden shower. I used to carry a bread bag that was a good fit for my old Compass, and it saved me more than once.

This!
+1
I do this every time I take out my TK4 (which is, of course, extremely not waterproof). It's saved me on several occasions too!

Definitely will be doing something. But my whining and quick to quit attitude actually woke me up to the fact that I will be needing to upgrade soon any way. I still don't have CTX moneys but will be getting a better machine so if anyone is looking to sell CTX machinery for ACE 200 costs look me up.:laughing::laughing:

I'm a Deus user and love it.
They are not waterproof, although you can add a kit.
If you are stuck on minelab you might want to wait for the release of the Equinox.
It's waterproof and light. The Hype is good, but it's a wait and see....

Good luck on the dry out...

If you are stuck on minelab you might want to wait for the release of the Equinox.

I would also love one of those high end machines but my hunt sites are too modern.. waiting for their feedback all the same. hh

oj/bc

I would also love one of those high end machines but my hunt sites are too modern.. waiting for their feedback all the same. hh

Don't believe that modern hunt sites can not give up a few good targets. Local city recreation area. Not too old. I was hesitant to go hunt it as I did not think I would find anything. So far over $400. US dollars in modern clad coins. Three Silver coins. One 10 k ring and three sterling rings.

Not a treasure trove of old items but it is a place that I can go kill a few hours just having fun.

Not set on Minelab just been checking out the equinox so minelab is fresh on my mind. Im researching to figure out which way i'll go. The Deus is a sweet machine as well.

Don't believe that modern hunt sites can not give up a few good targets. Local city recreation area. Not too old. I was hesitant to go hunt it as I did not think I would find anything. So far over $400. US dollars in modern clad coins. Three Silver coins. One 10 k ring and three sterling rings.

Not a treasure trove of old items but it is a place that I can go kill a few hours just having fun.

Nice what are you using?

oj/bc

The ATPRO that you list on your signature isn't too far behind the Equinox 600 as far as price goes.

Back
Top Bottom