My best homemade scoop yet

digitall

It has come thru a season with rough use without a bend or a nick. Main part of the scoop is made out of 14 gauge SS and the back section is 16 gauge SS to reduce weight.
Not the lightest scoop on the planet but a fiber glass handle may be my next addition.
Small holes in the bottom were a concern at first that flushing out material would be a problem but that has not happened.

Attachments

• scoop (2).jpg
    scoop (2).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 937
Very nice scoop. Making any to sell? I'll have something better than what I have before next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks professionally made! I've decided to get on the list for the equinox mainly to get into fresh water hunting. I live near a lake and lots of streams. I've got a question: What type of scoop will hold up to digging in streams that have gravel and lots of rocks on the bottom? I know it won't be the same as digging in the sand at the ocean.

Scoops for gravel and rocks

I would recommend you go with a SS scoop of no lighter than 16 gauge. An aluminum scoop is a waste of money for you in those conditions.

Nice job of fabrication. Where did you get your stainless as the only 16ga I could find only had .250 holes which may be too small. Heck we were just up in Western Michigan last week. Love the shoreline and dunes at Muskegon.

Did you drill the holes or start with perforated SS? I have a hobby machine shop and I am known to make items that cost me twice as much than just buying one!!!!
BTW did you TIG all that? Nice welding!

That's a Nice looking scoop, looks professionally made! If I might make a suggestion I would put a 1/8 inch strap across the front/top. Seems most I have used that did not have that have cracked. A friend of mine made many scoops years ago, everyone cracked right up top, front. (Even the two titanium's he made for me). I am away right now but can post a pic to show what I'm talking about once home next week. Other then that I think you have a winner!!

Homemade scoop

Drilled all of those holes using a drill press. That was the hard part and used some expensive drill bits in the process. Real easy to burn up a drill bit if you get to aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom