vintage metal detector question

veggieslinger

hello all im brand new to this forum, but not to metal detecting. I have been detecting for about 4 years now, and love it. I have recently taken a liking to some of the vintage detectors out there, and plan on starting a collection. I just picked up a heathkit deluxe gd348 from a thriftshop. it works great, but can not for the life of me figure out how to replace the batteries. I joined this forum because there was a brief discussion a few years back about this detector, but not about how to replace the batteries. I have pmed the person who had it, but no response yet. if anybody can help me with this issue that would be awesome:)

I'm pretty sure the gd348 had a radioactive core. If the isotope has passed it's half-life point it won't have enough juice left to be able to power the machine. A few years ago the NRC put that particular isotope on some, "Do not sell to Detectorists" list so it became impossible to find as any older samples have also passed their half-life point and are useless for power generation. I heard a tale somewhere that if you get enough smoke alarms and scrape all the radioactive bits out of them into the little lead box with all the wires coming off it, it might be enough to power the gd348 for another couple of years, but I think it's just poppykosh. Hang it on a wall and call it Art!

wow I never would of thought that's how it got its power. it seems to still work pretty good though. I think it would be cool to host a vintage equipment hunt with some of my detecting buddies

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Sometimes you can find a PDF version of a manual online, but all I could find was a place that sells vintage manuals, I tried to search for battery compartment info too.

I did read a page that said "The GD-348 weighs about 3-1/2 pounds. Uses NEDA #1602 9-volt battery provides 50 hours of operation."

Here is the place that sells vintage manuals -

http://www.vintagemanuals.com/manual/Heathkit/GD-348

and here is an old ad from a 1974 Field and Stream and also a picture from Pinterest -
gd-348_from_1974_FieldandStream_magazine.jpg
gd-348.jpg

I believe there are 3-4 screws on one side, if you remove them, the case should split open in half.

Luck!

Really now, the easiest way to open it up is to take a 5 lb. hammer . Lay it on a flat surface and beat the living tare out of it. I am sure it will open.
Really now, I don't know a dang thing about them. Just having fun with you... Good luck... KEN

Here is a pdf about assembly, battery and some instructions and info if you want to check it out.
No issues, malware or viruses, just the pdf file.

Heathkit 053 GD48 - w6ze.org
www.w6ze.org/Heathkit/Heathkit_053_GD48.pdf
Heathkit offered two accessories for the GD-48, the GDA-48-1 NEDA 1602 battery ... The Heathkit GD-348 Deluxe Metal Locator: ... Heathkit_053_GD48

I collect and hunt with vintage detectors. I have never had the one that you are talking about though. I enjoy the challenge of finding coins with thirty year old detectors. I found my last silver coin with one.

Here is a pdf about assembly, battery and some instructions and info if you want to check it out.
No issues, malware or viruses, just the pdf file.

Heathkit 053 GD48 - w6ze.org
www.w6ze.org/Heathkit/Heathkit_053_GD48.pdf
Heathkit offered two accessories for the GD-48, the GDA-48-1 NEDA 1602 battery ... The Heathkit GD-348 Deluxe Metal Locator: ... Heathkit_053_GD48

Good work finding that, didn't realize they had info on the 348 listed along with the 48 model.

The OP can try calling the Eveready battery toll-free number to be sure, but it seems like the battery that used might no longer be made as I could not find any actual places to buy one online, just info about it.

Everyeady still has the data sheet about it online at -

http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/246.pdf

but it's not listed on their "buy batteries" page -

http://www.energizer.com/buybatteries

Eveready had a toll-free number listed on that data sheet page as -
1-800-383-7323 USA/CAN www.energizer.com

You can ask if that size battery is still available from anywhere or if there are any replacement batteries that would work.

If no batteries are available it might be possible to try to get the same volts and amperage required (as listed on the data sheet) by using other batteries hooked to a 9 volt connector. (just be careful to avoid any overheating of the batteries)

NEDA_1602_246.jpg

I bet the modern 9v batteries would work just as well....the one pictured is prehistoric.
It seems that big one used to be made with mercury.

Some info...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-volt_battery

The nine-volt battery format is commonly available in primary carbon-zinc and alkaline chemistry, in primary lithium iron disulfide, and in rechargeable form in nickel-cadmium, nickel-metal hydride and lithium-ion. Mercury-oxide batteries of this format, once common, have not been manufactured in many years due to their mercury content. Designations for this format include NEDA 1604 and IEC 6F22 (for zinc-carbon) or MN1604 6LR61(for alkaline). The size, regardless of chemistry, is commonly designated PP3 - a designation originally reserved solely for carbon-zinc - or in some countries, E or E-block.

I bet the modern 9v batteries would work just as well....the one pictured is prehistoric.
It seems that big one used to be made with mercury.

Some info...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-volt_battery

The nine-volt battery format is commonly available in primary carbon-zinc and alkaline chemistry, in primary lithium iron disulfide, and in rechargeable form in nickel-cadmium, nickel-metal hydride and lithium-ion. Mercury-oxide batteries of this format, once common, have not been manufactured in many years due to their mercury content. Designations for this format include NEDA 1604 and IEC 6F22 (for zinc-carbon) or MN1604 6LR61(for alkaline). The size, regardless of chemistry, is commonly designated PP3 - a designation originally reserved solely for carbon-zinc - or in some countries, E or E-block.

Neat, it would be nice if it does turn out to be as simple as just using the typical 9 volt battery you can buy at the local store, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, being smaller you would think it would not overpower the circuitry.

If it does work it may or may not last as long as the original large battery, I'm not a battery expert, but I believe the Mah rating has to do with how long the battery will last before being drained, so perhaps as long as the modern smaller 9 volt is close to the 850 Mah rating of the original battery it should last as long as the original large battery.

Back
Top Bottom