!!The Garrett Carot Review!!

You do not want an electronic pin-pointer that goes real deep. What happens with a deep electronic pin-pointer that works against you is when you try and pinpoint at target close to a large piece of metal, such as play equipment, fence line or rebar. The large metal overrides the ability to pick out the smaller object and becomes redundant. Often times, you can use an electronic pin-pointer to simply scan along metal play equipment, as some of the targets such as rings are too close to the metal to even be picked up with your metal detecting search coil. Simple run your pin - pointer along the metal as close as possible to find the targets missed by others. There are lots of pin-pointers available in the market, at different prices. Do your homework, so you only have to purchase one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txw-S8tNQUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNlPeNwWBPM

Attachments

• hqdefault (1).jpg
    hqdefault (1).jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
You do not want an electronic pin-pointer that goes real deep. What happens with a deep electronic pin-pointer that works against you is when you try and pinpoint at target close to a large piece of metal, such as play equipment, fence line or rebar. The large metal overrides the ability to pick out the smaller object and becomes redundant. Often times, you can use an electronic pin-pointer to simply scan along metal play equipment, as some of the targets such as rings are too close to the metal to even be picked up with your metal detecting search coil. Simple run your pin - pointer along the metal as close as possible to find the targets missed by others. There are lots of pin-pointers available in the market, at different prices. Do your homework, so you only have to purchase one.

---------------

Well I agree with you, I myself would like them to go deeper but to a degree.
We all have at one time bought those dollar store pin pointers that were next to useless with minimal depth. You made some valid points.

I picket up a TRX when I picket up a AT Gold. I did a test of it's effective area vs my Carrot. As you can see, the TRX is deeper at the front at 2.5" vs the Carrot of 2.0". At the side though, TRX is at 2.0 and the Carrot is 2.5" This was an interesting experiment for me. I didn't expect the side scan on the Carrot to be deeper than the tip scan. That tells me that I can get a that extra depth when I need it, keep the waterproof detector and the side detection ability.

BCD

Attachments

• Pinpointers.jpg
    Pinpointers.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 180
I have used the original Garrett PP, the Garrett Carrett, TRX , and now using the Makro. I liked all of them, luckily never encountered the Garrett falsing. The TRX does go deep but its almost like a second detector, not a PP. I didn't think I would like the Makro because of where the controls are but I actually really like it, especially since it is truly waterproof. Really nothing wrong with the major PPs on the market, just finding what works best for you. Good luck.:D

Here’s a new offering - from First Texas - comes in Fisher and Teknetics versions.

Attachments

• C098AC39-D54A-49CE-BB0F-1992E7E90011.jpg
    C098AC39-D54A-49CE-BB0F-1992E7E90011.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 168
Skippy pretty much nails it. I've used the carrot and love being able to use the whole tip to find the objects. I am currently playing with the TRX. Deeper, yes. Tip only pinpointing does help when you've missed your target and it is in the side of the hole. There isn't enough about the TRX that would make me sell the carrot. Each has its uses but if I can only have one, I want the carrot.

BCD

You can use the carrot to find these side-of-the-hole items by re-tuning the carrot in the hole over the strong signal area and then moving the carrot around the perimeter of the hole.
You will then be able to find the area where the coin/target is located. It's quick and easy. I always set my carrot at maximum sensitivity and re-tune to lower sensitivity when it's required.
It is so quick and once you get in the habit, it becomes routine.

You can use the carrot to find these side-of-the-hole items by re-tuning the carrot in the hole over the strong signal area and then moving the carrot around the perimeter of the hole.
You will then be able to find the area where the coin/target is located. It's quick and easy. I always set my carrot at maximum sensitivity and re-tune to lower sensitivity when it's required.

Great suggestion!

Attachments

• addiction.jpg
    addiction.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 167

It's just a button tap. One tap, and bingo desensitized. Tap again to restore.

Garrett really nailed it with this one. I only found it by accident though, because I didn't read my owner's manual. Kept getting frustrated that my detection field would get smaller, when I forgot the pin pointer was already on, and I'd touch the button. DOH!

Back
Top Bottom