Found In My Front Yard

sadiedee

So I've been hunting my front yard since it's easier to dig (less big rocks) and it's close to a road that dates back to the 1860's or so.

Anyway, I have a ton of trash in my yard - mainly nails and foil. Most things date to the 1960's or 70's.

After work, I take my detector outside and right away I get a good signal on it and end up digging a good 7 inches before I saw silver. (I'm using a Garrett Ace 400 btw)

e3a0c7df949a2fd569828ce43d16112a.jpg

So...I start getting excited and hope it's a coin and get my camera (I'm a newbie, easily amused I suppose)

ac53fa9890832e0bc895f567ec2d2e9d.jpg
okay, at thing point, I realize what it is and that it's not a coin. Poop. Oh well!

99dd82495fe108f7ec93256d7f0a9452.jpg
I think everyone else can figure out what it is now.

4cd8a9f507937104916bda01d4089a0c.jpg
Yep, it's a spoon. Heavy and sort of large though.

5fb49d5055a518923342aa2b02448211.jpg
The back is stamped with the words "Slocum Helmet Brand." I can't find info about the company - only Etsy and eBay listings. Oh well.

At that point, I think I won't find anything else today but I found two pennies a couple feet away in a different hole and one was a Wheatie (1953 D) Not bad. I wonder what other interesting things are in my yard [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! That's right, I remember my first find as a kid - it was a matchbox car!

Interesting find... I'm amazed at how common spoons are at old sites. Can you tell if that one is silver?

It's always neat to see the stuff that's been buried in your yard for who knows how long. You wonder, "How many times have I walked right over this without knowing it?" And, for me, I am curious as to how it got there and why. :grin:

Interesting find... I'm amazed at how common spoons are at old sites. Can you tell if that one is silver?

It's always neat to see the stuff that's been buried in your yard for who knows how long. You wonder, "How many times have I walked right over this without knowing it?" And, for me, I am curious as to how it got there and why. :grin:

It looks like silver (or nickel) plating on top of copper or bronze. I'm having a friend take a look at it tomorrow and perhaps he'll have some insight. [emoji846]

Sweet find!!!!!!!! My wife would be pissed if I dug a hole that size........but hey gotta get the find out of the ground....... priceless treasures......

GL & HH

I remember my yard was a test ground for my first hunt when I got my detector. I didn't yet have a pinpointer but that didn't stop me, I just used my detector and kept halving my plugs. I destroyed that front yard digging up mostly pennies but had a blast doing it.

Back
Top Bottom