Ever had to only use your pinpointer?

sandgroper

Elite Member
I was in the city yesterday and came across a playground, right in the middle of it, so I thought to myself because it's build by a tourist attraction beside the river, it might be loaded with coins. Boy, was I right, but because the playground was built elevated beside the river, underneath the wood chips there was concrete or something else that contained metal to hold the wood chips and play equipment.

Long story short, my metal detector went absolutely crazy and it was merely impossible to pinpoint a target. I ended up crawling through the woodchips with my pinpointer and picking out dollar after dollar.
After about half and hour I called it quits because it was very very hot and more people arrived but I still got an awesome $36.10AUD, that brings the total for the day to $39.95. I also found a chain, golden in colour, but unfortunately magnet :(

Attachments

• 36.10.jpg
    36.10.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 837
Bloody Outstanding work there Mate! Thats using your noodle! Or carrot I should say...I bet theres gold in there someplace, What a haul!
Mud

I was in the city yesterday and came across a playground, right in the middle of it, so I thought to myself because it's build by a tourist attraction beside the river, it might be loaded with coins. Boy, was I right, but because the playground was built elevated beside the river, underneath the wood chips there was concrete or something else that contained metal to hold the wood chips and play equipment.

Long story short, my metal detector went absolutely crazy and it was merely impossible to pinpoint a target. I ended up crawling through the woodchips with my pinpointer and picking out dollar after dollar.
After about half and hour I called it quits because it was very very hot and more people arrived but I still got an awesome $36.10AUD, that brings the total for the day to $39.95. I also found a chain, golden in colour, but unfortunately magnet :(
Awesome. I've heard about the technique on this forum before but never tried. This post just might put the fire under my butt! Which sensitivity setting were you using?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Wow, that's awesome! There are some places in totlots that are just to tight or short to swing a detector. Sometimes I'll break out the carrot and just sift the woodchips in a zigzag pattern and find some stuff. Wish we had way more $1 coins like you do though!

Wow, great finds. some tot lots are bult on old foundations and are very noisy. I must say I have never found a dollar coin (that I recall) in a tot lot. Must be some rich folks there to have there kids carrying dollar coins.

How popular is the dollar coin in AU?

Have never picked up that much in coins but I have on numerous occasion used just the pinpointer in close proximity to some of the equipment on playgrounds. Some of those areas are almost inaccessible to an adult.

I got away with just using my pin pointer once.

I was underneath a small porch and there were many pieces of clad just under the soft sand. I snugged a full handful from a small area.

Which sensitivity setting were you using?

On the pinpointer, I was using maximum sensitivity, but now thinking of it, the pinpointer probably also picked up metal/concrete underneath because at times it became a bit erratic.
On the detector the sensitivity was about half way (16 out of 30) but dropping that still didn't help.

Wow, great finds. some tot lots are bult on old foundations and are very noisy. I must say I have never found a dollar coin (that I recall) in a tot lot. Must be some rich folks there to have there kids carrying dollar coins.

How popular is the dollar coin in AU?

The dollar (and $2) coin is very, very popular in Australia. I find them almost anywhere when I go metal detecting (beaches, parks, schools, even in sandy/grassy car parks). Last year alone I found 147 $2 coins and 111 $1 coin

Both coins are minted in the millions each year. Since 1984 when the $1 coin was issued, the mint has added 'special' designs to the coin, and recently they've done this with the $2 coins as well. (They've also done this with the 50c and 20c coins for the past decades)

Way to go!! Congrats!! And yes i have done something similar to that when I was killing it around an old ball park (been there since 1940) and couldn't swing under steel bleachers so I crawled under them using pinpointer and found some clad, hair clips and 2 wheaties. Anyway great job on finding the goods in the tight spots!!! HH

I once hunted a 6x1 foot section of sand located beneath the drive up window for a sno-cone stand. I sat there with the pinpointer and pulled 173 coins out. Sadly totaled only $3.17 but it was fun.

WHOA! Great park. I'd be back at that one. LOL

Best I ever did was a Snow Cone Stand that was next to a grassy burm. People would sit on the burm.

I pulled $27.85 (or something close to that) in a bit more than an hour and a half. My son dug about half that. Between the two of us, we had like $40. It was CRAZY how much change was there. We couldn't get off our knees in some spots... just went from pin pointer find to pin pointer find. Fun!

Back
Top Bottom