Howdy, new to the forum

jcator

Howdy from Cedar Hill, Texas.

As a kid growing up in the '60s, I wanted a metal detector more than anything, except for maybe a mini-bike. I never got a mini-bike, but one Christmas I did get a Jetco Searchmaster, complete with 2 search coils (small and large). It was a pretty simple machine. It had 2 controls-- a on/off/volume knob and a sensitivity adjustment, and a single speaker. There was no other user interface, no external headphone connector, no visual meter or display-- just a simple blue box with a handle bolted on to an aluminium shaft and the coil at the other end. It worked and I was pretty happy with it, I guess. I was about 10 or 11 years old at the time.

I haven't used a metal detector since, but over the past few years, it's been something that I think about a lot, research and watch tons of YouTube videos (there's a lot of good ones).

I don't currently own a metal detector but plan to soon. Thanks.

:fmdfwelcome: Glad you joined this forum. Hope you find a lot of good stuff. :mder:

If your looking for a detector under $50, the Harbor Freight 9 Function works great. It is around $45 and also has a pinpoint button & volume adjust as well as a headphone jack. It runs on 6 Double A's (AA) and detects coins at around 7''-8'' deep.

The Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is also a great detector (Amazon lists it at $80). It runs on 2 9-volts and detects coins at about 8'' as well. Also has a headphone jack. This detector has a slightly bigger coil then the Harbor Freight 9-function.

JC Welcome to this great forum! It doesn't cost much to get started and you can add small bits at a time. A good start can be had for under a 100 bucks so happy hunting!

Welcome jcator, lot of great, knowledgeable folks on here.
Good idea not to spend too much on your first detector. $200-400 puts a number of good detectors in range. I would recommend you spend less on the first detector (if necessary) and get a good pinpointer right away. Lot of new people get quickly frustrated trying to find their target in the hole.

I like the cut of your jib Jcator! All a guy really needs to survive on this Planet is a knife, lighter, minibike, and a metal detector! Maybe a blue tarp and a decent little dog of some sort...something small that can ride in the basket on a minibike of course...

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Found some pics online you should enjoy -

jetcoad.gif jetcosm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom