• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New in NW Ohio

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to the hobby, having purchased an Ace 400 that arrived just last week. I'm already having a great time getting used to the instrument, and even had my first "real" hunt.

First, I recruited my 8 year old daughter to "seed" the backyard with 4 each of modern quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies. She had a blast hiding them, and I learned a lot about my detector as I hunted them down. Much to my surprise, not only did I find all 16 of the "plants", but I managed to dig up an extra penny :grin: Since our place is only about 12 years old, I really wasn't expecting to find anything, so even the 1964 Lincoln Memorial penny was a cool surprise!

I also got permission from the property owner to hunt an old 1919 school building & grounds that's in the process of being turned into senior housing. Unfortunately, when I arrived on-site, I quickly learned that I wasn't the first to hunt the property - not only did the construction guys tell me that I was about the 10th detector they'd seen out there since they started working, but I also noticed several plugs from previous visitors as I was detecting. It was clear that the property was probably hunted out, but I pressed on. I dug a few pull tabs and a bottle cap that fooled me, a modern key (bent), a 2016 dime, 2008 penny, and a partially crushed jingle bell - but I also managed to get one interesting "keeper". A small charm of what looks like a little girl wearing a coat with "PENNEY'S" written across the bottom (see photos). I have no idea on age or where it might be from (J.C. Penney promotion of some kind?), but I thought it was pretty cool regardless!

So, in my first week, I've got 12 cents in clad, and an interesting charm - I'll take that as a decent start for a noob! :grin:

Attachments

• All_dug.jpg
    All_dug.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Charm.jpg
    Charm.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 89
Welcome from Mass

Hi everyone! I'm brand new to the hobby, having purchased an Ace 400 that arrived just last week. I'm already having a great time getting used to the instrument, and even had my first "real" hunt.

First, I recruited my 8 year old daughter to "seed" the backyard with 4 each of modern quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies. She had a blast hiding them, and I learned a lot about my detector as I hunted them down. Much to my surprise, not only did I find all 16 of the "plants", but I managed to dig up an extra penny :grin: Since our place is only about 12 years old, I really wasn't expecting to find anything, so even the 1964 Lincoln Memorial penny was a cool surprise!

I also got permission from the property owner to hunt an old 1919 school building & grounds that's in the process of being turned into senior housing. Unfortunately, when I arrived on-site, I quickly learned that I wasn't the first to hunt the property - not only did the construction guys tell me that I was about the 10th detector they'd seen out there since they started working, but I also noticed several plugs from previous visitors as I was detecting. It was clear that the property was probably hunted out, but I pressed on. I dug a few pull tabs and a bottle cap that fooled me, a modern key (bent), a 2016 dime, 2008 penny, and a partially crushed jingle bell - but I also managed to get one interesting "keeper". A small charm of what looks like a little girl wearing a coat with "PENNEY'S" written across the bottom (see photos). I have no idea on age or where it might be from (J.C. Penney promotion of some kind?), but I thought it was pretty cool regardless!

So, in my first week, I've got 12 cents in clad, and an interesting charm - I'll take that as a decent start for a noob! :grin:

Happy Treasure Hunting
dennis

Back
Top Bottom