Ticks and bugs.

MargeShrimpson

Forum Supporter
I absolutely hate ticks. Last week I saw one on the seat of the car. Then just last night I felt one crawling up my leg. I did a little research and found a product called Permethrin you apply it to clothes and can you it in conjunction with deet. It's supposed to be the best at tick repellent. Why do you all use to keep those awful creatures off you?

Permethrin is the best stuff you can use, Sawyers makes a clothes wash with it in it. Soak you clothes, hang to dry with no cats around as it's super deadly to cats when wet, and then use as normal.
I use it on my hunting clothes and to give you and idea, some spots i hunt you brush past a bush and you can look down and see HUNDREDS of seed ticks on your pants headed northwards, they never make it...
https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-premium-insect-repellent/

Permethrin is the best stuff you can use, Sawyers makes a clothes wash with it in it. Soak you clothes, hang to dry with no cats around as it's super deadly to cats when wet, and then use as normal.
I use it on my hunting clothes and to give you and idea, some spots i hunt you brush past a bush and you can look down and see HUNDREDS of seed ticks on your pants headed northwards, they never make it...
https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-premium-insect-repellent/

+1!!!!! watched about 30 ticks die and fall off of my legs before they get to my knees.

Why do you all use to keep those awful creatures off you?

To keep ticks off our property, we raise African birds called Guinea Fowl (African (location), French (size), Pearl (color), Helmeted (type), Guinea Fowl to be exact). Ticks are their absolute favorite food and they spend all day hunting for them and eating them. Each bird can eat around 4,000+ ticks a day.

20150423_123406%20Resized_zps4zb7riwf.jpg

Before we started raising Guineas we literally couldn't step foot in our yard without picking up (at least one) deer tick. It wasn't uncommon for us to walk across the grass 20 feet just to get the mail and come back with a couple deer ticks on us. One time in a 2 day period, my sister had over 16 ticks on her (while barely being outside). After getting the Guineas, I think we had a total of 4 deer ticks on us all last year. :D They're definitely worth their weight in gold.

They're also phenomenal watchdogs (well, watchbirds). They aren't as intimidating as my German Shepherd is, but they let you know the second someone steps foot on your property by doing an amazingly loud alert call (I'll try and upload a recording of them later).

As far as getting ticks off you once they've bitten you, the easiest method we've found to remove them is to use a product called a "Tick Twister". We haven't had one not get the tick's head out yet (which is very important to help prevent getting Lyme Disease). You can get a pack containing a small and large "Tick Twister" on Amazon for around $5.00 https://www.amazon.com/Tick-Twister-Remover-Small-Large/dp/B01BECRHEO/

Sorry for the slight threadjack ... this probably wasn't exactly the type of answer you were looking for. I don't really have any tips to keep them off you as far as while being out and about. :D

Last edited:
I absolutely hate ticks. Last week I saw one on the seat of the car. Then just last night I felt one crawling up my leg. I did a little research and found a product called Permethrin you apply it to clothes and can you it in conjunction with deet. It's supposed to be the best at tick repellent. Why do you all use to keep those awful creatures off you?

it's the best you can use.. I turkey hunt and metal detect in the woods, at times, it has kept them off of me.. be careful using it if you have cats that you care about..

To keep ticks off our property, we raise African birds called Guinea Fowl (African French Pearl Helmeted Guinea Fowl to be exact). Ticks are their absolute favorite food and they spend all day hunting for them and eating them. Each bird can eat around 4,000+ ticks a day.

So, do you have to feed those guinnies, or do they just survive on the ticks ?

So, do you have to feed those guinnies, or do they just survive on the ticks ?

During the spring/fall/summer, we let them roam our property all day and eat ticks, then we round them up into the Coop at night and feed them (they're generally pretty full already at the end of the day though).

During the winter (which we can get Windchill temperatures below -50° in Minnesota), they stay in their heated Coop and Run and we feed them once a day (about double the amount of feed that they eat in the spring/fall/summer).

They just go back and forth between our front-yard, side-yard, and back-yard all day long. We've trained them to know our property borders and they stay in our yard 95% of the time. Every once in a while they'll leave our yard, but mostly only when they go to the dirt road to eat some rocks and then they just kind of follow along the road eating them. If left untrained ... they have up to a 4 mile range. :shock:

Some people people don't even build a Coop for them or feed them anything. They can easily survive without being fed if needed (although ticks are their favorite food, they'll literally eat anything that moves: bees, spiders, ants, grasshoppers, small snakes - mice are the biggest thing I know that they'll eat).

Those that don't build a Coop generally lose some to predators though (they perch in trees as high as 40+ feet at night if they don't have a Coop, but Raccoons and other animals will still get them).

We Coop ours up at night, and have never lost one to a predator in the 3 years we've had them now. :grin:

Wally World has what you are after.
Yellow bottle it contains permethrin.

A little on the tops of shoes and lower pants legs,,and maybe a tad on the back of your waist.

Ticks will not get on you.

Don't waste your money on products that contain DEET for ticks,,deet does work for chiggers and moisquitos though.

I got a case of Lyme disease about 5 years ago. My doctor ran the blood test when I went to him complaining because my left knee was swollen and painful, so much so that I bought a cane to help with walking. I recovered completely in about three months (90% recovered in probably one month).

Since then I use Permethrin on pants (trousers for you Brits) and my sock tops. Haven't seen any ticks on me since, and I regularly hunt in heavily wooded areas. I will say that the areas I hunt are not as infested as some of those described above. Before I started using the permethrin, I might find three or four ticks on me.

Just go to Walmart Web site and search for Sawyer insect repellent

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just go to Walmart Web site and search for Sawyer insect repellent

Thanks. I just made a trip to Wally Land yesterday to get some Deet product. I think it was "OFF Deep Woods", in the non-aerosol plastic spray bottle. I really wanted something to treat my shoes, etc. I'll look for the Permethrin (Sawyer), next time by.

I believe that they also sell the "Repel" brand for clothing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There aint no ticks like the Northern Minnesota ticks! Torpedo is telling the truth here..and the skeeters?...just the damndest thing you ever saw in season..! They consider Deep Woods Off as a condiment!

Northern Minnesota is one crazy place!..after such a painful 'Summer', a guy looks forward to 50 below just to get all his blood back a little....Not kidding one bit! Ticks as big as boxturtles, Skeeters come in Squadrons...and neither of them are fooling around!

Keep a jug of orange juice and some windmill cookies in the car to replenish your fluids just to get home from the store without blacking out from blood loss.....or, get out of there....

They consider Deep Woods Off as a condiment

:laughing: Well, do ya suppose I should use this "Deep Woods" as a mixer, maybe with a little bourbon or vodka ? :laughing:

Ok, my local Wally Land doesn't have the "Sawyer Premium Permethrin". That figures, so I'll order a bottle online, just to have around, in case some of those Minnesota ticks come down this way

Attachments

• IMG_0738.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 214
Back
Top Bottom